No start problem Kubota RTV1100c

cowrider

Equipment
B8200, L185, RTV1100, RTVX1100
May 4, 2021
Addison. NY
Helping out a friend with his RTV. He shut it off one day and it hasn't started since. He had someone else look at before me. From what he said the fellow removed the injectors and looked them over, replaced the fuel filter, had him put an electric fuel pump bypassing the lift pump, and had him replace the shut off solenoid on the injector pump. He had the electric pump removed and back to the lift pump before I started. Air filter removed and clear to intake.

Looking at it the first time it would turn over and try a little to start with lots of black smoke.
I drained the fuel, pumping it out with a electric pump sucking it out with a pipe to get everything out of the tank. Had a little water but not enough for this problem. replaced it with fresh diesel and treatment.
Loosened the lines at the injectors and cranked till we had fuel.
Tested the glow plugs by removing the bus bar and ohming them.

It will crank over better now and almost want to run on its own but just not enough. Cracking one injector at a time and trying, #3 has the least effect at trying to start. I have a compression tester but it doesn't have the adapter for the glow plug for the Kubota. Replaced the injectors but no change.

Thinking the problem may be in the injector pump. Looking for a rebuild kit and none to be found in the states, can order from UK or Italy. There are videos on youtube and it looks straight forward. Does anyone have a source for the Zexel NP-PFR3MD50 pump. Any thoughts on what the problem could be?

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Helping out a friend with his RTV. He shut it off one day and it hasn't started since. He had someone else look at before me. From what he said the fellow removed the injectors and looked them over, replaced the fuel filter, had him put an electric fuel pump bypassing the lift pump, and had him replace the shut off solenoid on the injector pump. He had the electric pump removed and back to the lift pump before I started. Air filter removed and clear to intake.

Looking at it the first time it would turn over and try a little to start with lots of black smoke.
I drained the fuel, pumping it out with a electric pump sucking it out with a pipe to get everything out of the tank. Had a little water but not enough for this problem. replaced it with fresh diesel and treatment.
Loosened the lines at the injectors and cranked till we had fuel.
Tested the glow plugs by removing the bus bar and ohming them.

It will crank over better now and almost want to run on its own but just not enough. Cracking one injector at a time and trying, #3 has the least effect at trying to start. I have a compression tester but it doesn't have the adapter for the glow plug for the Kubota. Replaced the injectors but no change.

Thinking the problem may be in the injector pump. Looking for a rebuild kit and none to be found in the states, can order from UK or Italy. There are videos on youtube and it looks straight forward. Does anyone have a source for the Zexel NP-PFR3MD50 pump. Any thoughts on what the problem could be?
Suggest you clearly state the model and year of machine you are posting about. History, number of hours. bought new or used,

Leave the injection pump alone unless you are looking to create problems you cannot solve.

A compression test must be done to know if the engine has any hope of starting.

Never use starting fluid. If someone already has you may have bent connecting rods resulting in low compression.

Dave

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Is this an RTV-X1100 with auxiliary hydraulics on the front to operate a push blade? If it is, look at the push button controller mounted on the gear shift, see if the rocker switch on the lower left side is in the center position. If it is not centered, it is letting the hydraulic pump load the engine while you are cranking it which can keep it from starting and they will blow a tremendous amount of black smoke as the governor is being held wide open.

cowrider

Equipment
May 4, 2021
Addison. NY
2008 Kubota RTV 1100c, not newer X model. Purchased used from a collage, not sure of hours [can check next time looking at machine].

cowrider

Equipment
May 4, 2021
Addison. NY
Problem Found.
I made up a adapter for the compression tester out of a 8x1.0 mm bolt that I drilled through the middle and welded a pipe adapter to it that fit one in the set. Tested the cylinders and found 325psi on #1, 425psi on #2, and 325psi on #3. Pulled the injector pump out expecting a collapsed spring but found no obvious problems. About to quit for the night and talked to the owner some more. He had said in the beginning that the removed the snow plow hydraulics because it had broken off because the frame rotted up front. I didn't think much of it because on mine with the curtis plows I need to swap hoses in the rear to ether have the dump or front hydraulics. But he didn't have a second set of lines. So we found that he had capped the lines in front which caused the pump to dead end. The line went from the pump to the front hydraulic assembly and from there it went to the valve along the seat to feed the dump box. We made a new line to go from the pump to the dump box valve as it should, put the engine back together and fired up. Lots of wasted time but I know it better now.

On a side note, you don't need to remove the side plate to remove the injection pump. It will pull right out. When you go to put it in, take a small screwdriver or pick and push the arm forward till it opens the gap the size of the notch and install. It helps to rotate the engine till the cams are lower.

Hopes this helps