No start bx23s and oil leak

ravensview

Equipment
bx23slb
Nov 18, 2019
U.P.,MI,USA
Hello All,
I am in need of some guidance on where to look or what could be wrong,
I have a 2019 bx23s bought new in Nov of 2019 with 197 hrs on it, I use the white diesel additive in my diesel during the cold months.
A week or so ago, I started it up to let it warm up to move some snow, it started up fine,
I then went to shovel my entrance deck while the tractor warmed up (it was around 15* out), while shoveling I heard it start running rough and then it shut off,
I noticed a little oil on the garage floor about the size of a quarter, wiped it up, tried to start the tractor again and it would turn over but not fire,
after a couple of attempts my first thought was fuel filters so I decided to replace the fuel filters, just did that today, (that rear one is a bugger).
I turned the key on to fill up filters with diesel for 30-40seconds and checked for leaks there were none and the fuel in the filters looks good, anyways I tried firing the tractor up it started , but was blowing out grey exhaust, then it sputtered and died,
I went through the purge process again and same thing happened, ran roughly, grey smoke then died, then I noticed another teaspoon size drip of oil under the tractor,
it’s towards the front right side between where the oil filter is and where the steering knuckle joins the front axle and steering wheel.
Any help on what to look at or for or constructive thoughts would be highly appreciate. Thanks

Last edited:

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I do not have a BX23S but my son in law does...

Anyway, I was interested in your post, but could not get through the mass of text, after trying about three times.

My suggestion is to break it into more manageable paragraphs, that simple minded people like me might be able to comprehend.

Otherwise you limit the number of responses to people that have greater comprehensive skills, that might help you. But others might be less likely to offer help.

ravensview

Equipment
bx23slb
Nov 18, 2019
U.P.,MI,USA
I do not have a BX23S but my son in law does...

Anyway, I was interested in your post, but could not get through the mass of text, after trying about three times.

My suggestion is to break it into more manageable paragraphs, that simple minded people like me might be able to comprehend.

Otherwise you limit the number of responses to people that have greater comprehensive skills, that might help you. But others might be less likely to offer help.
Thanks will do

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Hello All,
I am in need of some guidance on where to look or what could be wrong,
I have a 2019 bx23s bought new in Nov of 2019 with 197 hrs on it, I use the white diesel additive in my diesel during the cold months.

A week or so ago, I started it up to let it warm up to move some snow, it started up fine,
I then went to shovel my entrance deck while the tractor warmed up (it was around 15* out), while shoveling I heard it start running rough and then it shut off,

I noticed a little oil on the garage floor about the size of a quarter, wiped it up, tried to start the tractor again and it would turn over but not fire,
after a couple of attempts my first thought was fuel filters so I decided to replace the fuel filters, just did that today, (that rear one is a bugger).

I turned the key on to fill up filters with diesel for 30-40seconds and checked for leaks there were none and the fuel in the filters looks good, anyways I tried firing the tractor up it started , but was blowing out grey exhaust, then it sputtered and died,

I went through the purge process again and same thing happened, ran roughly, grey smoke then died, then I noticed another teaspoon size drip of oil under the tractor,
it’s towards the front right side between where the oil filter is and where the steering knuckle joins the front axle and steering wheel.

Any help on what to look at or for or constructive thoughts would be highly appreciate. Thanks

Do this ............

It might be hard to do by yourself so get someone to help you ....... open the cowl, look carefully at the filter nearest the engine. Have someone turn the key so that the pump ticks like crazy........ hold it there for a FULL minute..... you will not hurt anything. Is the filter full of fuel? If using dyed fuel it should be easy to see -

then turn the key over to start - allow to run at idle and then increase to about 2000 rpms - it may burp and moan a bit - but it should clear up after a few minutes. If this does not work - PULL the hose off the filter and then hit the key, it should throw fuel out a good ways.

I take you heard the pump ticking when you tried the first time?

Reactions: 1 user

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Do what Hokie said!

Hokie gives GREAT advice, as usual....

Couple more questions:

Oil on the Floor:
  1. Did you happen to stick your finger in the "oil," on the floor....dark colored, smell, taste it?
  2. Is it motor oil, hydraulic fluid, diesel, or "snot" from the exhaust manifold? I always smell, and sometimes taste that, until the time my dog peed on the tire.....:sneaky::geek:
  3. My older BX has the oil filter on right side; fuel filter and injection pump on left. Is yours the same?
  4. Trying to figure out #2 - - may be unrelated to the sputter/quitting problem.
Sputter/Quit:
  1. Does your tractor still have untreated summer fuel in it's tank?
  2. The old filters - - what did the fuel filters look like? Were they dark, or black, any noticeable 'crud" in them? Bet they still have a clear-type plastic case so you can inspect them?
  3. You do hear the lift/electric lift pump "clicking" while in the glow position, correct?
  4. Does the lift pump sound any different than usual?
I'm thinking there is (1) maybe a gelling issue, (2) more likely an algae problem in your fuel system, and (3) the "oil" on the floor could be hydraulic fluid from the loader connections. (I had a couple/few drips from my loader connections this fall too.)

Either way, Hokie's advice is a good great place to start!

Last edited:

ravensview

Equipment
bx23slb
Nov 18, 2019
U.P.,MI,USA
Do this ............

It might be hard to do by yourself so get someone to help you ....... open the cowl, look carefully at the filter nearest the engine. Have someone turn the key so that the pump ticks like crazy........ hold it there for a FULL minute..... you will not hurt anything. Is the filter full of fuel? If using dyed fuel it should be easy to see -

then turn the key over to start - allow to run at idle and then increase to about 2000 rpms - it may burp and moan a bit - but it should clear up after a few minutes. If this does not work - PULL the hose off the filter and then hit the key, it should throw fuel out a good ways.

I take you heard the pump ticking when you tried the first time?
Will try again tomorrow, yes I can see fuel in the new filter, thanks hopefully it was just me not purging it enough

ravensview

Equipment
bx23slb
Nov 18, 2019
U.P.,MI,USA
Do what Hokie said!

Hokie gives GREAT advice, as usual....

Couple more questions:

Oil on the Floor:
  1. Did you happen to stick your finger in the "oil," on the floor....dark colored, smell, taste it?
  2. Is it motor oil, hydraulic fluid, diesel, or "snot" from the exhaust manifold? I always smell, and sometimes taste that, until the time my dog peed on the tire.....:sneaky::geek:
  3. My older BX has the oil filter on right side; fuel filter and injection pump on left. Is yours the same?
  4. Trying to figure out #2 - - may be unrelated to the sputter/quitting problem.
Sputter/Quit:
  1. Does your tractor still have untreated summer fuel in it's tank?
  2. The old filters - - what did the fuel filters look like? Were they dark, or black, any noticeable 'crud" in them? Bet they still have a clear-type plastic case so you can inspect them?
  3. You do hear the lift/electric lift pump "clicking" while in the glow position, correct?
  4. Does the lift pump sound any different than usual?
I'm thinking there is (1) maybe a gelling issue, (2) more likely an algae problem in your fuel system, and (3) the "oil" on the floor could be hydraulic fluid from the loader connections. (I had a couple/few drips from my loader connections this fall too.)

Either way, Hokie's advice is a good great place to start!
It appears to feel, look and smell like motor oil,
yes it’s the same oil filter on right side fuel filter on left,
fresh tank of winter, previous tank was summer/winter mix,
old filters were dark, no noticeable crud,
pump is clicking, as far as same sound that I do not know, my hearing ain’t so good anymore.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
It appears to feel, look and smell like motor oil,
yes it’s the same oil filter on right side fuel filter on left,
fresh tank of winter, previous tank was summer/winter mix,
old filters were dark, no noticeable crud,
pump is clicking, as far as same sound that I do not know, my hearing ain’t so good anymore.
How long were they in the tractor?

Get some biocidal fuel treatment. Dump some in the tank and shake the shyt out of the tractor to mix it up. It only takes a milliliter or two for a 6 gallon tank.

I use Power Service Biocide also. Biocleen?

ravensview

Equipment
bx23slb
Nov 18, 2019
U.P.,MI,USA
How long were they in the tractor?

Get some biocidal fuel treatment. Dump some in the tank and shake the shyt out of the tractor to mix it up. It only takes a milliliter or two for a 6 gallon tank.

I use Power Service Biocide also. Biocleen?
Around 100 hrs of use, which was 11/2 year, I use the diesel fuel additive that comes in a white bottle that is similar to 911 already, is their a different additive that I need to add?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Around 100 hrs of use, which was 11/2 year, I use the diesel fuel additive that comes in a white bottle that is similar to 911 already, is their a different additive that I need to add?
A few years ago, we had a bunch of folks with algae, etc., issues. Bugs can grow if there's some moisture/water in the fuel.

I use this year around, in addition to the Power Service additive in white (winter) or silver (summer) bottles.

There are other biocidal fuel treatments too. I only picked this one because I use it. It's a little pricey, but a little goes a long way with it.

Not saying it will fix it, but since the filters were kind of dark, my thought is it can't hurt....

https://powerservice.com/psp_produc...D_BwE&rl_key=199383b12b79a5c54d3c681cf3962eaa

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
BTDT, 'ruff running'....I'd dump the entire tank of fuel, try 1/2 tank of fresh fuel. see if it starts and runs.
If not, spend the day and pull the tank and properly clean it out. Yes, it's a pain but you'll KNOW you've eliminated the tank being THE problem. In my case there was a sliver of plastic blocking the outlet spigot.
The tank is 3 chambers and the ONLY way to really clean it is off the tractor. I can tell you the steps and what to look out for if you do it.

ravensview

Equipment
bx23slb
Nov 18, 2019
U.P.,MI,USA
Okay, I pulled the secondary fuel filter (one closest to engine) back off and placed a pan under it, then turned key to activate pump, it sounded like it was pumping but diesel was just trickling out the end of the filter, so I added some biocide to the tank, will retry to start today.
I probably won’t do much else for a bit as we are getting into the below zero temps, but I am hoping that I don’t have to pull the tank.
I am going to try to treat my tractor issues as two separate problems for now,
1. The no start, rough idle and die issue
2. The small oil leak that started at the same time

They may be related I do not know, but separating them into two issues may make it easier to resolve.
Thank You guys for the help so far, appreciate it

ravensview

Equipment
bx23slb
Nov 18, 2019
U.P.,MI,USA
So just an update, our temps finally climbed up into the 30* range and I went out to the garage to try and start my tractor up, it would turn but not fire, fuel pump sounded like it was pumping fine, fuel filter had fuel in it, rapped on the fuel pump a couple of times, then loosened up gas cap, turned the key and it’s been working fine and running the best it ever has, I’m thinking I had some kind of vapor lock and that the fuel pump had gelled diesel in it, anyways knock on wood, it’s purring like a kitten now, thanks for the ideas and solutions offered up.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Glad to hear!! Thanks for posting back!