nextdoor

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
So I'm looking at nextdoor. Someone was complaining that a deer died in their yard over memorial day weekend, they called the cops and the cops didn't do anything about it. She called the mayor's office and apparently someone there was going to send out someone out.
Now if a deer dies in your yard, isn't it your own responsibility to get it moved, or am I the crazy one here? If you wanted to put it in your freezer, they you'd call the HP for a tag to make it legit (MN, your local laws may vary), but I sure don't see it as a police matter.

Reactions: 1 user

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
The police homicide division should have taken the lead on this. Definitely sounds like foul play is involved.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users

radas

Equipment
2022 LX2610HST, 3rd Function, Rear Remotes, BH77
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
Deer Karen won't take no for an answer!

Reactions: 1 users

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
If a deer is found dead here?

Doesn't matter if it's in your yard or side of the road, whatever. You find it, you check it. If it's still warm, it might still be fit for dressing. If it's got antlers, remove them and hang them on the wall. If it's cold, call the fish and game people and they'll take it away, they do research with deads, and some of them are given up for the meat and/or whatever else they can use them for.

Yeah we live in the backwoods but I won't have it no other way.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
With the slew of people we have moving to this once mostly rural area NextDoor is an interesting clash of rural, suburban, and urban folks all mixed into a rural/suburban area. It amazes me how many seem to be mortified by gunfire, farm equipment on roads, wildlife (actual wildlife animals) in their yards. They struggle with vexing issues such as what government agency to call when they see an unidentified snake in their yard. They lose their dogs and cats constantly. They get offended by neighboring grass that’s too tall for their liking or contains too high a percentage of native plants. They struggle together to find people to cheaply paint a room or replace a sink faucet or simply wash a paved driveway.

Many of them are odd people who own vehicles and yards and homes, have no clue how to maintain them, yet insist on telling others how they must maintain theirs. For those people a dead deer in the yard is a tragic emergency. For those of us used to rural life, it’s a call to Wildlife to see if they want to do any testing on it before we dispose of it.

• Love
Reactions: 11 users

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yeppers I have had more then one in the bucket headed back to the gully, where the fox and yotes take care of it

Reactions: 3 users

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
When the city folk leave the city and head for the hills they tend to get over worked about everything. We take care of our own problems around here. Dead deer included.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Our farmstead is on the end of a 3/4 mile windbreak running parallel to the county highway. The deer like to cross the highway from our woods resulting in at least one or more roadkill almost yearly. The first kill, I called the game warden and asked if I could put the deer out of its misery before he came over. He said no. Poor deer. Half hour later he showed up and dispatched the deer in exactly the shape I had described to him over the phone. A year later, same thing, only this time he said please put it out of its misery....I'll get there soon. the third time.....he just said "Take care of it please, and Thanks!!". the meat is/was always too damaged to use. But the local coyotes made short work of them. I don't bother calling anymore. Just dispatch it if necessary and move it to the coyote feeding station. LOL!

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
With the slew of people we have moving to this once mostly rural area NextDoor is an interesting clash of rural, suburban, and urban folks all mixed into a rural/suburban area. It amazes me how many seem to be mortified by gunfire, farm equipment on roads, wildlife (actual wildlife animals) in their yards. They struggle with vexing issues such as what government agency to call when they see an unidentified snake in their yard. They lose their dogs and cats constantly. They get offended by neighboring grass that’s too tall for their liking or contains too high a percentage of native plants. They struggle together to find people to cheaply paint a room or replace a sink faucet or simply wash a paved driveway.

Many of them are odd people who own vehicles and yards and homes, have no clue how to maintain them, yet insist on telling others how they must maintain theirs. For those people a dead deer in the yard is a tragic emergency. For those of us used to rural life, it’s a call to Wildlife to see if they want to do any testing on it before we dispose of it.
So, you're trying to say most people now are dumb. (and lazy) :LOL:

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
So, you're trying to say most people now are dumb. (and lazy) :LOL:
Honestly, exposure to the people who post on NextDoor in my area has reduced my opinion of the median level of intelligence and competence of the general public here. Much of it is the kind of content I would expect to see if dairy cows could post on the internet. (I grew up with dairy cows. They’re just barely smarter than a bag of hammers.) There are some intelligent people on there but they are vastly outnumbered by hordes of hand wringing dimwits.

I am hopeful it isn’t an accurate representation of the state, country, or humanity as a whole. I am also genuinely concerned that it may be.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca

Are you talking about the city people moving to the country and who constantly complain to the township that they don't have unlimited weekly garbage pickup, high speed internet, and that the farm next doors is spreading manure on their fields?

• Haha

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
What the hell is next door?
I thought he was talking about replacing his current door, couldn't figure out what a dead deer had to do with it, unless it ran into the door.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
If it is a car strike on my road the deer is dead and the meat worthless. The highway dept will pick it up. On the property I will call DEC and ask what they want done. They have to be fast as the local scavengers waste no time.
If it has a what looks like a bullet wound or arrow I will keep an eye out for a hunter following the blood trail.
Neighbors are summer folk and the carcass will most likely be dragged into the woods before they ever see it.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
I discovered the best way to get rid of a road kill a few months ago. Call the highway department and report the carcass saying it is partially on the road, then make sure that it is. ;) In my case, they picked it up almost immediately.