Newbie really needs help - - 1988 L2850DT

Artichoke

Equipment
L2850DT
May 15, 2022
I thought I was making so much progress, but apparently not. (Hope it's not dementia!) I didn't want to ask the same old questions that you have been being asked for years, so I started reading past threads. In this Forum, there are 214 pages of threads, and I started at the beginning. Got to page 10 and realized I probably needed antique answers, so I went back to page 214 and read forward - - about another 10 pages or so. So many threads almost getting to what I need to know, but not quite. So I hit up YouTube and Google for another day and a half and have decided to swallow my pride and own my ignorance.

At the most basic, I need more understanding of the cockpit controls. I sit in the seat, ROPS up, seat belt on and start the engine. She purrs like a very loud, but very smooth kitten. Front, back, RPM adjustments, gear shift all aok (at least for first and second - - haven't tried anything else yet.

To my left are two levers: The front wheel drive lever, and the hi-lo gear shift lever.

Front wheel drive lever: Is 4WD the default, and frontWD (?2WD) something you need to engage, or lock into? Or is 2WD the default and 4WD is something you need to engage?

If I push the shorter, front lever forward, I think I am engaging FrontWD. If it is in the back position, I guess that puts me in all wheel drive (4WD). Is there an intermediate setting for this lever? If so, what does it do? For just newbie run-of-the- mill 'getting-to-know-you' tooting around (a little FEL, or a little backhoe digging) where do I want this lever positioned, and when might I want to change it?

This is already getting long - - I guess should I start a new topic for my next question? Really don't want to force anyone to an early nap!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Welcome to OTT !

I can't personally assist you with an older tractor like that....I'm just not an expert on them, but there are many very willing guys who will be along shortly and help you as long as you keep asking these good (perfectly normal) questions !

Enjoy

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
If a tractor has four wheel drive, two wheel drive is the normal mode of operation and you shift into 4WD with some sort of control. Do not run on dry pavement while in 4WD. It accelerates tire wear and can damage internal stuff. You may not realize you also have a differential lock. This locks both rear wheels together so both are driving. This is usually a lever or pedal to depress with your foot - frequently found on the left side below the seat.

Artichoke

Equipment
L2850DT
May 15, 2022
Welcome to OTT !

I can't personally assist you with an older tractor like that....I'm just not an expert on them, but there are many very willing guys who will be along shortly and help you as long as you keep asking these good (perfectly normal) questions !

Enjoy
Thank you for the Welcome!

Artichoke

Equipment
L2850DT
May 15, 2022
Thank you, m-m-m for the Welcome, and the references. In truth, I have "been there". I bought or photocopied, the OM, the WSM, the Illustrated Parts List, and oodles of articles from web sites and YouTubes. They have all gotten me to the point where I now realize how much I don't know. I just don't grasp the most fundamental, underlying basics! :-(

Last edited:

Artichoke

Equipment
L2850DT
May 15, 2022
If a tractor has four wheel drive, two wheel drive is the normal mode of operation and you shift into 4WD with some sort of control. Do not run on dry pavement while in 4WD. It accelerates tire wear and can damage internal stuff. You may not realize you also have a differential lock. This locks both rear wheels together so both are driving. This is usually a lever or pedal to depress with your foot - frequently found on the left side below the seat.
Roadworthy THANK YOU. You just answered the first and most troublesome ignorance I've been suffering! If 2wheel drive is the normal, what is it I'm doing when I move the front wheel drive lever into the most forward position. the OM indicates that in the forward position, front wheel drive is "disengaged". If 2WD (=front WD ?) is normal, what have I done by disengaging it?

Last edited:

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
free online OPERATORS MANUAL should answer most of your questions I think.
This is the operator manual for your model the L2850

ve9aa

Equipment
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Two wheel drive is normally the rear wheels only, so when you engage 4WD, what you're really doing is just adding the smaller front wheels to help out.

Artichoke

Equipment
L2850DT
May 15, 2022
free online OPERATORS MANUAL should answer most of your questions I think.
This is the operator manual for your model the L2850

Thank you, Maple Leaf Farmer. Yes, I have the OM, and you would be amazed at all the colors and margin scribblings it has! I make a note in normal pen, then on page such-and-such it seems to say something else so I go back to the first note, cross it out with a different color and write see page such and such". What a mess!

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Some basic operating guidelines (gear drive assumed for simplicity)

All tractor engines apply power to the transmission. The transmission passes that power to the rear axle and really drives one of the two rear wheels. The other three are pushed along. You are in 2 wheel drive . If the driven wheel gets into a slippery spot it will simply start to spin an the tractor comes to a stop. Pushing the clutch in stop the power flow and wheel stops spinning. (If the differential lock is engaged with the wheel spinning you are likely to break the differential lock pin inside the tractor). So you are now sitting on a stuck tractor and need to get moving again. So you can push down the differential lock pedal and then slowly let out on the clutch and then the differential lock pedal will move down a bit further as the pin slips into a hole that is passing by. Then keep your foot on the differential lock pedal and let the clutch pedal out fully and apply more fuel and then both rear wheels will be trying to drive the tractor. You must try to drive straight ahead wiTh the differential lock on, don’t make sharp turns. When you are no longer stuck you release the differential lock pedal and make sure that it is disengaged and only one rear wheel is powered and the differential can now allow one wheel to move slower in the turn.

Now if you have a 4WD (also called front wheel assist) you can start out by putting the tractor in the 4WD position. The tractor engine applies power to the transmission and to the rear axle (just like 2WD) and to one rear wheel. The transmission also applies power to the front axle and the front axle applies power to one of the front wheels. The front wheel and rear wheel are both driven but only one front an One rear wheel are powered, but this is erroneously called 4WD. (Subaru has all wheel drive and actually applies power to all 4 wheels at one time)

But if you get stuck in 4wd then you can put the differential lock in place as described above and get 3 wheel drive and hopefully you get unstuck.

In 2wd brakes only apply to the rear wheels, when in 4WD the brakes (kind of) are applied to all wheels.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
The high and low lever effects the transmission only and can be used in 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive

It effectively changes the gear ratio and speed or power of the tractor

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Russell described the mechanical process well. One area I am not sure is realistically done.

Here's what he described: So you can push down the differential lock pedal and then slowly let out on the clutch and then the differential lock pedal will move down a bit further as the pin slips into a hole that is passing by. Then keep your foot on the differential lock pedal and let the clutch pedal out fully and apply more fuel and then both rear wheels will be trying to drive the tractor. You must try to drive straight ahead wiTh the differential lock on, don’t make sharp turns.

The part I marked red. The clutch pedal is on the left side. The differential lock is on the left side. Don't think both can be operated at one time with one foot!!

My solution is to have the tractor is low gear and very little RPM and then press down with the left heal to engage the diff. lock. Don't try forcing the bar with you left heal. Put steady pressure and you'll feel the engagement. Once the lock is felt more RPM can be used.

Artichoke

Equipment
L2850DT
May 15, 2022
Two wheel drive is normally the rear wheels only, so when you engage 4WD, what you're really doing is just adding the smaller front wheels to help out.
Whoa! That would explain a LOT of my confusion! So front wheel drive is NOT the same as two wheel drive! When I move the front wheel drive lever to the rear position, OM says I have "engaged" the front wheel drive. Does that mean I am in 4wheel drive? When the lever is moved to the forward position, the OM says i have "disengaged" the front wheel drive. So does that means the front wheels are doing the steering, but the rear wheels are doing the driving and braking. (Yes I know the brakes can be used for steering too, but it will be a very looong time before I try that!)

Artichoke

Equipment
L2850DT
May 15, 2022
Some basic operating guidelines (gear drive assumed for simplicity)

All tractor engines apply power to the transmission. The transmission passes that power to the rear axle and really drives one of the two rear wheels. The other three are pushed along. You are in 2 wheel drive . If the driven wheel gets into a slippery spot it will simply start to spin an the tractor comes to a stop. Pushing the clutch in stop the power flow and wheel stops spinning. (If the differential lock is engaged with the wheel spinning you are likely to break the differential lock pin inside the tractor). So you are now sitting on a stuck tractor and need to get moving again. So you can push down the differential lock pedal and then slowly let out on the clutch and then the differential lock pedal will move down a bit further as the pin slips into a hole that is passing by. Then keep your foot on the differential lock pedal and let the clutch pedal out fully and apply more fuel and then both rear wheels will be trying to drive the tractor. You must try to drive straight ahead wiTh the differential lock on, don’t make sharp turns. When you are no longer stuck you release the differential lock pedal and make sure that it is disengaged and only one rear wheel is powered and the differential can now allow one wheel to move slower in the turn.

Now if you have a 4WD (also called front wheel assist) you can start out by putting the tractor in the 4WD position. The tractor engine applies power to the transmission and to the rear axle (just like 2WD) and to one rear wheel. The transmission also applies power to the front axle and the front axle applies power to one of the front wheels. The front wheel and rear wheel are both driven but only one front an One rear wheel are powered, but this is erroneously called 4WD. (Subaru has all wheel drive and actually applies power to all 4 wheels at one time)

But if you get stuck in 4wd then you can put the differential lock in place as described above and get 3 wheel drive and hopefully you get unstuck.

In 2wd brakes only apply to the rear wheels, when in 4WD the brakes (kind of) are applied to all wheels.
Russel, that was a VERY helpful explanation! THANK YOU. I somehow had it in my head that front wheel drive was the same as two wheel drive. Consequently NOTHING I was reading made much sense. Might say I had it all burro-backwards!

Artichoke

Equipment
L2850DT
May 15, 2022
The high and low lever effects the transmission only and can be used in 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive

It effectively changes the gear ratio and speed or power of the tractor
And Russel, you anticipated what my next question was going to be. Now I don't even need to ask it! Well, maybe some modification of it...

Artichoke

Equipment
L2850DT
May 15, 2022
Russell described the mechanical process well. One area I am not sure is realistically done.

Here's what he described: So you can push down the differential lock pedal and then slowly let out on the clutch and then the differential lock pedal will move down a bit further as the pin slips into a hole that is passing by. Then keep your foot on the differential lock pedal and let the clutch pedal out fully and apply more fuel and then both rear wheels will be trying to drive the tractor. You must try to drive straight ahead wiTh the differential lock on, don’t make sharp turns.

The part I marked red. The clutch pedal is on the left side. The differential lock is on the left side. Don't think both can be operated at one time with one foot!!

My solution is to have the tractor is low gear and very little RPM and then press down with the left heal to engage the diff. lock. Don't try forcing the bar with you left heal. Put steady pressure and you'll feel the engagement. Once the lock is felt more RPM can be used.
D2Cat, thank you. My differential lock is on the right side. So my short feet can't use it and the brake at the same time, but if I am trying to 'go', then maybe I won't need to 'stop' (at least at the same time). However, your description of what it will feel like, and how to reasonably apply power is very valuable.

ve9aa

Equipment
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
BTW, front wheels on most tractors don't have actual "brakes", but if you are going downhill (F'rinstance) and have 4WD engaged (4WD is a misnomer), they will provide something nearly equal to braking by transmission drag. (engine and transmission braking)

The other explanation was a better one than the oversimpified explanation I gave, perhaps because I saw you struggling there a bit with the concept.

So, to overly simplyfy it (for the purposes of just understanding it a little)

4WD = all wheels (not really, but you get it)
2WD = back wheels only (again, not exactly, but you get it--I hope)
(only) Front wheel drive is not a thing (unless something is broken)
Front wheels have some sorta/kinda braking ability, but only 'sorta'
Diff lock - locks the 2 back wheels together to get you unstuck. Just drive straight ahead when engaging.

Clear as the mud you'll be working in?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
When the front wheel drive lever is engaging the front differential you have the resistance of the engine helping you slow down when foot is off the fuel.

Artichoke

Equipment
L2850DT
May 15, 2022
BTW, front wheels on most tractors don't have actual "brakes", but if you are going downhill (F'rinstance) and have 4WD engaged (4WD is a misnomer), they will provide something nearly equal to braking by transmission drag. (engine and transmission braking)

The other explanation was a better one than the oversimpified explanation I gave, perhaps because I saw you struggling there a bit with the concept.

So, to overly simplyfy it (for the purposes of just understanding it a little)

4WD = all wheels (not really, but you get it)
2WD = back wheels only (again, not exactly, but you get it--I hope)
(only) Front wheel drive is not a thing (unless something is broken)
Front wheels have some sorta/kinda braking ability, but only 'sorta'
Diff lock - locks the 2 back wheels together to get you unstuck. Just drive straight ahead when engaging.

Clear as the mud you'll be working in?
Might just save me from wanting a mud-facial (I'm an old lady. We used to do stuff like that to be "beautiful") Your summary turned the mud pretty and clear - - Thank you!

Reactions: 2 users