Newbie needs info

Equipment
L2850 tractor
Jan 18, 2021
United Ststes
I recently purchased an older l2850 4x4. Runs perfect everything works as should, well maybe. The steering is my concern.

when moving the steering is easy. Steer it with a couple fingers. Sitting still (parked) on concrete driveway, you can not steer it. As soon As it moves steering is easy. Is this normal? I’m new to tractors and have no idea if this is normal or not. Thanks

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
normal as far as I see it. I've seen tractors with loaders front rims destroyed from turning while stopped. HUGE amount of stress.
think if YOU tried to twist your feet,in sneakers,while standing still,carrying a sack of concrete mix

Equipment
L2850 tractor
Jan 18, 2021
United Ststes
normal as far as I see it. I've seen tractors with loaders front rims destroyed from turning while stopped. HUGE amount of stress.
think if YOU tried to twist your feet,in sneakers,while standing still,carrying a sack of concrete mix
Well good. I’m satisfied. Just wanted everything working as it should. It’s a great old tractor. It was well taken care of.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
Two wheel drive tractors tend not to have power steering. Four wheel drive tractors generally do. The simple cure is to not attempt to turn the wheels when sitting still. Be sure your front tires are adequately inflated. By the way, if your car has power steering and you're turning the wheels with the car stopped you are putting a lot of needless wear on your tires. Think of a pencil eraser in use on paper. They get smaller for the same reason.

Equipment
L2850 tractor
Jan 18, 2021
United Ststes
Two wheel drive tractors tend not to have power steering. Four wheel drive tractors generally do. The simple cure is to not attempt to turn the wheels when sitting still. Be sure your front tires are adequately inflated. By the way, if your car has power steering and you're turning the wheels with the car stopped you are putting a lot of needless wear on your tires. Think of a pencil eraser in use on paper. They get smaller for the same reason.
All true. I was dipping a ditch out with the bucket in very very short quarters. Would have been so nice if the wheels would have turned while sitting still. But I agree on the wear and tear.
I’ve run big Cat endloaders. I guess I expected to much from my little tractor 😂

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota
Two wheel drive tractors tend not to have power steering. Four wheel drive tractors generally do... [good advice snipped]
That has not been my experience. I have two 55 year old, two-wheel drive tractors with power steering. The last tractor I had without power steering was my (1950s?) IH Farmall M.