Newbie looking for tips

MSGreenfield

Equipment
B7100
Aug 21, 2021
Canada
New to this forum and tractor ownership. 25 acres of bush for wood has been serviced by ATV and garden variety tractors.
Have a friend selling a B7100 for $8000 Canadian with a bucket.
Is this a good price and would this unit be able to run a backhoe and a mid mount mower?
anything I should be looking out for.
Thanks for any advice

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Pricing in Canada I can't comment on.

That unit can run a mid mount mower, and is a common enough and old enough unit you can probably find a second hand mower off one where the main tractor is broken.

An OEM backhoe for that unit would be hard to find. Watch this Messicks video. Caution! Buying used loaders, backhoes, mowers and more.

If you want a backhoe on an older unit you really want to buy one already with a working backhoe, or go with a 3ph backhoe like a Woods (with the compromises that means).

FairMeadow

Aug 20, 2021
Massachusetts
Pricing in Canada I can't comment on.

That unit can run a mid mount mower, and is a common enough and old enough unit you can probably find a second hand mower off one where the main tractor is broken.

An OEM backhoe for that unit would be hard to find. Watch this Messicks video. Caution! Buying used loaders, backhoes, mowers and more.

If you want a backhoe on an older unit you really want to buy one already with a working backhoe, or go with a 3ph backhoe like a Woods (with the compromises that means).
Do you need a mid-PTO to run a mid-mount mower? I'm new (obviously).

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
seems like a lot of Canucks for at most a 1985 tractor with maybe 16HP ?? Is it 2WD or 4WD, hrs ???,overall condition ?? That'd be an expensive mower ONCE you find a good deck.....

check out Kijiji (expand search for your province)
OK, I just checked Hamilton,On and 1 hit.. for a 1995 version yet Tractordata says last made in 1985, sigh.... maybe 'B7100' isn't the real model ???

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Do you need a mid-PTO to run a mid-mount mower? I'm new (obviously).
Yes, you do. I think the B7100 has the mid-PTO standard. But they often don't come with the deck, and more importantly, the brackets that hold the deck on (the decks can be found second hand, but sometimes don't come with mounting hardware).

My general theory with older tractors is buy it the way you want it, rather than buying the base tractor and trying to add things. 3 point hitch implements like brush hogs don't matter, but things that are specific to that model tractor you should get when you buy it.

I bought an older BX2350, then added a loader. I ended up having to buy the loader new, and the loader cost 3x what the tractor did. I would have been much better off waiting for a second hand machine with a loader on it.