Newbie here / I think I broke my bushhog :-(

Tx_K_Lover

Equipment
Kubota L3200, 5ft Bushhog
Jun 24, 2021
Texas
Hey all!

New here and know very little about how to work on my equipment, and usually have to hire someone. My problem is while shredding yesterday (after all the rain here the pastures are really thick and tall) I hit a really big fire ant mound. Immediately after I had a really loud squealing noise coming from the shredder. Squeal stops when I disengage the PTO, but returns when PTO re-engages. Would appreciate any and all ideas, before I hire someone to come look at it. I am a widow alone, and I can see $ signs when "repairmen" appear in my driveway..... Help? Thanks!!

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Have you looked under the mower for any thing or damage? Do you have a shear bolt or PTO clutch? Is it the tractor or the mower making the noise?

Are you able to unhook the PTO shaft? If so unhook it then start the tractor and turn the PTO on. If there is no noise then we know the tractor is OK.

If you rehook the PTO and it has a PTO clutch I am going to guess that you caused the clutch to slip and it will need readjusted. An easy fix.

And look under the mower by raising the 3 point but do not go under the mower. Are the blades free? Does anything look damaged or bent?

I hope you understand I am not trying to talk down to you but I have no way of knowing your knowledge or abilities.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

nota4re

Premium Member

Equipment
Case 580M Turbo; Kioti DK4210SE-CH; Kubota L2501 (Traded-in)
Aug 16, 2019
Newhall, CA
Can you tell us what brand/model "shredder" you have? Manufacturers will either use a shear pin or a clutch (more common) to be the item that "slips" in case you hit something. It sounds like the clutch is still slipping - either something is still jamming the blades or the clutch may need to be adjusted. I'm sure others here have far more experience than me in order to advise you....

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I think it is the ants screaming in pain from you hitting their nest. :p :)

As others have noted, need a little more info before you throw in the towel. Could be a simple fix.

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
FWIW, I doubt a Fire Ant nest (big mound of soft dirt) could have done any real damage to a rotary cutter, but it certainly could have snapped the shear pin (the free rotating PTO shaft might be making all of the noise).

Of course, the ant mound could have been built around a big rock or stump, but again it should not be able to do that much damage.

Reactions: 1 user

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
If you are in central Texas I can probably come look at it if you want.

It is probably the slip clutch as mentioned above. That is a pack of springs and clutch plates. If you have never adjusted it then that is more indication of a problem. The discs are probably slipping and squealing like bad brakes on a car.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
If your rotary cutter does have a slip clutch, there are lots of videos on youtube about how to adjust them. It can be brand specific. Search for

How to adjust slip clutch rotary cutter