New to the forum: Aussie with a G5200H garden tractor

CrankshaftKaleb

Equipment
Kubota G5200H Garden tractor
Jun 21, 2020
Bendigo, VIC, Australia
Been living on about an acre of land on the outskirts of Bendigo in the south-east of Australia for a bit over 3 years now. My parents have an MTD Yard Man ride on mower that they are perfectly happy with. I however thought we could use something that is actually worthy of being called a tractor, not some flimsy "lawn tractor" that can do little more than cut grass. On the other hand, I conceded that we needed something small enough to actually be useful on the amount of land we've got. A Kubota BX series would definitely fit the bill, but none of us have got 21 grand burning a hole in our back pockets. So I went looking for an older garden tractor, and managed to get my hands on a Kubota G5200H with just under 2100 hours on it, for the princely sum of A$1900.

The engine was getting a bit hot, but a good flush of the cooling system seems to have done the trick somewhat. The main problem I have now is that the engine really struggles when it's trying to drive the mowing deck, to the point where it will stall if you engage it too quickly or try to mow while driving at anything more than a crawl. I'm told that the engine should have enough torque to shred the belts running the PTO shaft if something did seize up. It's running a D600 diesel engine by the way. For now I've removed the deck while I try to find the problem. Also been repairing a worn king pin/PTO shaft housing in the front axle that was causing a lot of play in the steering.

I plan to build a small loader for it and add a 3-point linkage at the back so I can use it for various odd jobs around the yard like moving dirt and mulch, maintaining our gravel driveway among other things.

What are your thoughts? Any ideas on the problems I'm trying to sort out?

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
The exterior of the radiator fins may also need to be cleaned.

You may get more help in the service forum although you have a tractor for a project.

Does the oil look ok? Does it smoke at all? If so what color smoke?
Did you change the fuel and air filters? If it was sitting for a while did you get fresh fuel, treat it for algae?

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
I too own a G5200H.
I assume you realize there is a pull-out screen infront of the radiator which needs to be cleaned EVERY time you use the machine.

Mine was also running a bit hot on the temarture-gauge. I used cooling-system cleaner (a weak acid) and then flushed several times with distilled water. NEVER EVER use tap-water in cooling-system.

Yes, the steering is a weak-spot on the G-series of tractors. My steering wheel has about 1/4 turn of slop.

As for lack of power... even though the D600 engine is only rated for about 14HP, I have NEVER had any isssues mowing or pulling driveway scraper with luggged tractor-tires. (tires may spin...no power loss)

Regarding shredding the dual-belts driving the PTO.... My tractor has shredded them at least 4 times. I now keep spares onhand. Mowing is BY FAR the most power-hungry task for my mower.

One issue I had was the 'lift pump' behind the right-rear tire. Engine loses power and stalls when fuel tank falls below 1/2 full.

Also, consider adjusting the valve-clearances. This may help restore your power.

You could try removing the belt from the Deck and engage just the center (shaft driven) blade. This may help isolate if any of your spindles is binding. (They should spin freely by hand)

One last thought... keep the grease-nipple on the center of the front axle lubed. Not only does this lube the front-ale swivel...it also lubes the bearings of the PTO.

I assume you already have looked at the online manuals and perhaps downloaded them for future reference.

Last edited: