New to it all, L35, Thumb Recommendations

Rich Oliver

Equipment
L35
Mar 7, 2023
SE PA
So I moved to place that needs more than the lawn cutter, been shopping and found a L35 for the 4.3 hillside estate. Lots of wood to cut and move, lots of dirt to move, long drive to keep clear of snow and debris.

Well I have to start somewhere and I think the hydro thumb is my first add, as I think this will cut down on my body wear and tear and just sounds like a whole lot of fun, (don't tell my wife that part).

Best hydro thumb for the hoe?

Thanks in advance for listening to the newbie questions, I am still just driving it around and getting a feel for the controls.

L35
BT900 Hoe
TL720 loader with quick disconnect.

animals45

Equipment
L3301l
Apr 22, 2021
Mabie CA
Not to talk you out of it , but I was surprised what a guy could do with one of the mechenical thumbs on a hoe . Mine if a BH77 on a 3301 . Save ya some $$ for other goodies .
animals45

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
So I moved to place that needs more than the lawn cutter, been shopping and found a L35 for the 4.3 hillside estate. Lots of wood to cut and move, lots of dirt to move, long drive to keep clear of snow and debris.

Well I have to start somewhere and I think the hydro thumb is my first add, as I think this will cut down on my body wear and tear and just sounds like a whole lot of fun, (don't tell my wife that part).

Best hydro thumb for the hoe?

Thanks in advance for listening to the newbie questions, I am still just driving it around and getting a feel for the controls.

L35
BT900 Hoe
TL720 loader with quick disconnect.
I think I can tell you which is the BEST hyd. thumb for your hoe, but I have no idea what it might cost.
I have an L48 TLB that I bought in 2019 with only 251 hours.
It is a magnificent machine (toy) for me, and the hyd. thumb is superb (it interacts perfectly with the bucket position)

The original owner, had the L48 seemingly decked out with every accessory imaginable.
Among those options was the custom built hydraulic thumb.

The hyd. thumb was built by M.C. Faulkner & Sons, of Buxton, Maine (near Portland). 207-929-4545
I believe that the fabrication part of M.C. Faulkner has since been sold to SRS Attachments of Norridgewok, Maine (West of Bangor)
207-858-0690.
I have absolutely no idea what the original owner paid in 2007 for my hyd. thumb, from M.C. Faulkner.

I quite certain that SRS can build a hydraulic thumb for your L35, but I kinda suspect that you may choke on the price.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

anomad

Equipment
YM2310D
Jun 10, 2021
Western North Carolina
The saying "as handy as a thumb" exists for a good reason. I have a hydraulic one on my excavator. For tree work and grubbing out overgrown areas it's a no brainer. But a mechanical thumb is no slouch. You need to shop around and see what you can stomach. Sleeping in the dog house aside.

That said, I would get a grapple for your machine way before I got a thumb. Provided it has a skid steer quick attach and third function up front. I am not personally familiar with your exact model. A grapple and the power of a TLB would be very effective for many jobs. Even without a thumb on the hoe.

BTW, you have, lets say, enough machine for 4 acres - LOL. Well done! I'm jealous. You should be able to do whatever projects you have in mind with ease with comfortable tractor therapy time.

Rich Oliver

Equipment
L35
Mar 7, 2023
SE PA
Thanks so much for the replies. I appreciate them.
Keep them coming as I get use to the machine, which I love and look forward to doing more with less effort or I create more to do, we will see.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Thanks so much for the replies. I appreciate them.
Keep them coming as I get use to the machine, which I love and look forward to doing more with less effort or I create more to do, we will see.
I think from a cost effective perspective the advice that "anomad" is offering above is good.
If you do decide on a grapple, I would highly advise an EA "wicked" grapple (not the cheapest, but the best!)
I have a grapple (not EA) but have EA forks, and I use my forks frequently.
As I mentioned, the hyd. thumb is a wonderful device (try picking things up without using your thumb) but dollar for dollar/pound for pound, a grapple may be more cost effective.
All that said: I would not want to be without my hyd. thumb.

The most cost effective situation for you, might be an EA "wicked" grapple, and a simple weld on mechanical thumb,......from an aftermarket supplier.

Tarmy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800, BH76A, FEL,box scraper
Nov 17, 2009
Lake Almanor, Ca
The single most handy implement is that hydro thumb. I bought mine with a manual and learned very quickly that it needed upgrading. We have rocks, lotsa rocks….and building wall and digging trenches it is a must.
EFBCBDFE-4513-44BA-B935-53849A495C06.jpeg
226815D8-9E23-42C4-9091-9624E1213680.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Here's how one guy did it:
https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/threads/2003-tlb-l35-bt900-backhoe-hydraulic-thumb.56902/
There are other ways.

Having added a manual thumb myself, I'd agree with anomad that a grapple will be more useful. Do you have third function already?
The "here's how one guy did it" is good, but not quite like any OEM thumbs.
The pivot point for the thumb in this design is not contiguous with the bucket pin.
Both bucket and thumb, operating on the same (the bucket) pin makes for a better operation.

animals45

Equipment
L3301l
Apr 22, 2021
Mabie CA
You could also convert a mechenical thumb to a hydrauilc down the road .
animals45

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Bad thing about hydraulic thumbs is that if you ever use one you can never do without one.