New to Diesel Engines

66vette

Mar 14, 2014
Greenville, Ohio
I have a L3130 and never had a Diesel Engine. I am concerned about Fuel Gelling. I don't use the Tractor very often consequently I fill it with Fuel once a year. How can I tell if the fuel has Gelled, when I look at my fuel filter glass bowl there is a white ring on the bottom. Is that a sign that the fuel has gelled. If it has gelled what do I have to do before I try to start the Engine. I did add a additive to the fuel this past summer.

Kingcreek

Equipment
Grand L3010 GST 4wd, LA481FEL, various attachments and accessories
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
If it starts and runs it isn't gelled. It would probably look clouded. If you added fuel treatment is probably fine. Open the fuel fill cap and look into the tank and see if it looks jellied or cruddy from stuff growing in it.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Start it ONCE A YEAR :eek::eek::eek: Dude you need to get out and run it more than that, it will feel unloved and unwanted and someone is libel to come along one day and take her off your hands and love her like she should be loved and she will work and give her love to them,, lol
OK so its snowing and blowing and Im sick with cabin fever:mad:

Really a good fuel additive is best thing, keep the tank FULL so moisture does not condensate in the tank and you wind up with water in the fuel,,, not a good thing also put a battery tender on it, to keep the battery charged in the winter so it don't freeze and bust another not nice thing to happen. Also NEVER NEVER NEVER use any kind of starting fluid on your Kubota. Others can go into details of why, but it could cost you a ton of bucks!!

Now is that 66 a 327 FI drop top?

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
What you are probably seeing is water and or sediment.
Diesel gels from cold not from just sitting and lack of use.
You need to treat your fuel with a biocide treatment like Soltron, yes weird name, but it works!

66vette

Mar 14, 2014
Greenville, Ohio
Thanks for the information. I did not want to start it if the fuel was bad and it would cause other problems.
The vette is coupe, mosport green, with a build up 327 carbureted.

Kingcreek

Equipment
Grand L3010 GST 4wd, LA481FEL, various attachments and accessories
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
If I remember right, mine has a white ring at the bottom but its part of the filter. not water or sediment
with proper additive it should be good to -20 or so. I plug in the block heater at anything under 10+

tcrote5516

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, 50" Front Blower, Heated Cab, 6' blade, 3pt carry all, 3pt hitch
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
One of my Kubota's garage sisters. Wonder how many other Kubota/Corvette owners we have here?

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Outstanding,,, makes me wish somedays I would have known what the hemi cuda would have been worth today,,,, DUM KIDS

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Make a practice of keeping the fuel tank completely full.

Change fuel filter at least once a year even with your low useage rate. Water and debris in filter may provide a growth medium for biological fouling.

To prevent fuel from aging dose it with Stanadyne fuel treatment; for low use engines I use twice the label instructions.

Doesn't hurt to add a 'cocktail' of Stanadyne and Sta-Bil and SeaFoam and a good biocide. Sure there's an extra cost in doing so but taken altogether it increases the chance the machine will crank when needed.

Consider also using a battery tender or maintainer and keep it constanly plugged in.

If you are where the machine is I'd suggest making a habit of cranking and running at least fifteen minutes (30 better) once a month and exercise the hydraulics and steering.

Please post back your continuing experiences so we may all learn.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
You say you start it once a year. I have a way to change this.

Every time you have sex with your wife go start your tractor!!!!
Might be easier to start the tractor once a year!:eek:.....( ok - maybe that is for us old farts that have been married a while):)

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Outstanding,,, makes me wish somedays I would have known what the hemi cuda would have been worth today,,,, DUM KIDS
If well kept, "Excellent" original condition, they can fetch over $100K. If near mint condition, you could buy a new Ferrari for less.

The 80's vintage 'vettes are considered one of the best high performance values for the bucks if in good shape. They go for less than $5K at auctions.

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Did you just say 80's vettes were high performance values? I don't think I've ever heard/seen 80's vette and "high performance" in the same sentence before... ;) The C4 in '84 was a huge improvement, particularly in suspension and brakes, but still was not up to the label IMO.

When I was young I had 3 66-67 GTOs, one was a loaded low mileage original paint 3x2 4 speed, and I never really gave it it's due because it was green on green (reef turquoise), and I liked my lower model repainted yellow 66 (mayfair maize) with built 70 455 the best (it was far faster). Also owned a '70 'Cuda 340 magnum, a 72 L82 Vette that I raced and wrecked doing 135 mph (why I can barely walk now), and a few other lesser vehicles that would all be wonderful to have back today.