New member with some questions.

northman

Jun 12, 2012
Mi
Hi there,
I’m new to this forum and would like some info from you “dyed in the wool” Kubota owners. I’m new to Kubota tractors but have had five or six tractors in the last 25 years from a 1941 Allis Chalmers model B, a 1944 Ford 2N, a 1949 John Deere B, 1954 Ford NAA and a 1956 Minneapolis Moline 445. So you see I need to enter the 21st century soon.
I live in Northern Michigan and have a deer camp in the Upper Peninsula. I live on 20 wooded acres and the U.P .deer camp is forty acres with about 15 open acres. At home the new Kubota would have to keep the long driveway, 1000 ft, in repair and help with snow removal. Do various chores like gather firewood; keep the trails open and other homestead chores. In the U.P. mostly brush hogging and planting food plots for deer. I’m currently looking at a B2920 and L3800 both with FELs at the local Kubota dealer. I have some prices and probably would trade in the MM 445 which is at my home.
Now here’s the rub. I think the B2920 would work fine around the homestead. I really don’t need to brush hog there, maybe run the 3 pt. disc down the trails, use the back blade and rake and FEL on the drive way. Now in the U.P. I currently use the NNA with a five ft brush hog and a few older pull type discs and cultivator. The dealer said that the 2920 would have a hard time with a 5 ft brush hog. Now that probably means that the L3800 would work better, but I would have to trailer it about 400+ miles back and forth every year to work up there. It seems that the 2920 would trailer better because it’s around 1000 lbs lighter. I no longer have a tandem trailer and wonder if a tandem axel utility trailer would work for the 2920? I'm sure that the 3800 would need a car hauler type trailer as it weighs in at about the same as an N series Ford. I know that it’s better to err on a larger tractor but I’m concern about the trailing with the heavier tractor. I hauled the John Deere B over 500 miles with my Chevy Silverado about 12 years ago and really wouldn’t want to do that again. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!!!!

Last edited:

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
What do you have to pull a trailer now? The same Silverado?
Long distance trailering is a different ballgame than local. An L3800 with a loader is going to be in the 4000 lb ballpark. Add a sufficient trailer, and you are probably over 6,000 pounds, maybe more. Add an implement on the back, and you are probably hitting the 7,000 lb mark. That is a lot to move,and more to stop, unless you have the proper setup.
Saying that, I think it is a mistake to buy a tractor based on what it takes to move it- you may be looking at a change up in the future, which will cost you more than addressing it now. I would first consider which tractor will serve your needs, regardless of the moving issue. Then, determine what it will take to move that tractor. I think that you are better off rethinking your tow equipment, instead of determining the tractor by the tow equipment. You may (or may not, depending on what you have) have to upgrade your truck and trailer.
Based on your needs, I'd rather have an adaquete L3800, than an overworked B2920.
Oh, welcome to OTT.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Yeah I have to agree with Hodge. Sounds like you really need the larger tractor but transporting it is going to be a problem. If you dont want to fork out the extra money for the right size trailer and possibly a bigger truck then you may have to stick with a new L3800 at home and leave the old Jubilee at the other property.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
About all I can do is agree with hodge and Eric. I have learned that choosing a "do it all" tractor, like so many things in life is going to result in a compromise.

Is there a place close to your hunting property you can rent a tractor?

My inclination, since anything you do is going to be a compromise, would be to pick the tractor that best fits the majority of your projects.

A B2920 with a 4' rotary cutter will work on your hunting property if you take your time and you won't need an expensive trailer and tow rig.

Can you justify upgrading all of your other stuff to have something that excels in something you do once a year?

Will renting the right machine close to your hunting land offset the cost of a more suitable tow rig, remember you will be feeding a bigger truck all year and be making payments.

Lots of things to consider.

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
All good points guys! Me?, I would probably choose the "B" for the homestead and leave the other tractor at the campsite. You can always take the new tractor there for the week or weekend to use the FEL or something. Nothing wrong with having two tractors there at one time. Keep the bigger tractor for the brush work and pulling a double bottom plow, etc. It would be easier to tow as well. sounds like you already have implements at the camp for the larger tractor anyhow, so....

northman

Jun 12, 2012
Mi
I would like to thank everyone that replied to my post.
I really think that hauling the tractor back and forth would not be the answer. I currently have a GMC Sierra with a trailer package but it's really isn't a heavy duty vechile to regulary pull a 8,000 ++ lb load althought it has. By the time I would buy hauling equiptment I would have more $$$$ involved. I think I'll keep the NAA and purchase the B2920 for the homestead. If need be I could take the B up there if needed. Just wondering if a tandem wheel utility trailer would handle it?
You fellas gave me the same advice as my 70+ neighbor but he added that he sold all his equiptment 10 years ago stuck the money in an envelope and every year adds a few $$ to it and hires somebody to do the work. He said that there is still plenty of $$ in the envelope and he enjoys going fishing and hunting while someone else is brush hogging his 80 acres. HMMMMM!!!!