New Member - L3000DT with leaks, hydro not lifting

jigglypuff

Equipment
Kubota L3000DT with LA450S Loader; MX4800 with LA1065 Loader; Howse RTC70 Tiller
Jul 7, 2020
Santa Fe, NM
Hi

Lurked on the site for a bit til I could not find a solution to my problem using a forum search.

I’ve inherited a L3000DT that has a hydraulic problem - loader or three point hitch won’t lift. It’s also affected the power steering. I heard the fluid making noises as it traveled through the fixed metal hoses below the seat like it was struggling to get through the hoses.

Investigations found that the trans/hydro fluid was milky and learned from this forum that is due to water in the fluid. This likely came from multiple leaks from a worn and torn paper gasket around the gear shifter housing.

The trans was also way overfilled and had probably 9+ gallons drain out (capacity is 7.4 gallons)

I drained fluid and made a new gasket seal, and cleaned the strainer, but not sure if I caught all the drain plugs. I found two directly under the transmission, and the service manual points to two more, but not sure where they are. Are they at the rear axles as shown in attached picture?

I plan on filling and flushing at least twice (based on what I’ve read on this forum) before refilling for good. Wish there was an easier way instead of using 14+ gallons of fluid. I plan on using the cheapest stuff available for the flush. Tractor supply has buckets of the J20a stuff for $30 - is this advised?. I will try out some of the sea foam hydro trans stuff during flushes - is advised ?

I hope these procedures will help fix my non lifting loader and 3 pt hitch, unless there is other advice out there.

This Kubota has been a great family tractor for nearly 20 years and wish I had a say in maintaining it over the years. Now, it, and it’s problems, are mine now and I intend to get the tractor in tip top shape. Thanks for any info/advice

J

edit: added fluid capacity

Attachments

Last edited:

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Hi

Lurked on the site for a bit til I could not find a solution to my problem using a forum search.

I’ve inherited a L3000DT that has a hydraulic problem - loader or three point hitch won’t lift. It’s also affected the power steering. I heard the fluid making noises as it traveled through the fixed metal hoses below the seat like it was struggling to get through the hoses.

Investigations found that the trans/hydro fluid was milky and learned from this forum that is due to water in the fluid. This likely came from multiple leaks from a worn and torn paper gasket around the gear shifter housing.

The trans was also way overfilled and had probably 9+ gallons drain out (capacity is 7.4 gallons)

I drained fluid and made a new gasket seal, and cleaned the strainer, but not sure if I caught all the drain plugs. I found two directly under the transmission, and the service manual points to two more, but not sure where they are. Are they at the rear axles as shown in attached picture?

I plan on filling and flushing at least twice (based on what I’ve read on this forum) before refilling for good. Wish there was an easier way instead of using 14+ gallons of fluid. I plan on using the cheapest stuff available for the flush. Tractor supply has buckets of the J20a stuff for $30 - is this advised?. I will try out some of the sea foam hydro trans stuff during flushes - is advised ?

I hope these procedures will help fix my non lifting loader and 3 pt hitch, unless there is other advice out there.

This Kubota has been a great family tractor for nearly 20 years and wish I had a say in maintaining it over the years. Now, it, and it’s problems, are mine now and I intend to get the tractor in tip top shape. Thanks for any info/advice

J

edit: added fluid capacity

As your photo shows there is a drain behind each rear wheel at the lowest point.

Your transmission I expect is a manual one not hydrostatic unless you are certain otherwise.

What do you know of the history of the non functioning loader, steering and 3 pt hitch.

Did these malfunctions occur after an event such as a repair? Did they all happen at the same time?

All seals on the suction side of the hydraulic pump including those on the suction screen. any piece of rubber hose on the suction side of the pump, all need to be checked very carefully and replaced if there is any doubt of the condition.

Suction leaks allow air into the system and seriously degrade the pump's performance.

Dave

jigglypuff

Equipment
Kubota L3000DT with LA450S Loader; MX4800 with LA1065 Loader; Howse RTC70 Tiller
Jul 7, 2020
Santa Fe, NM
As your photo shows there is a drain behind each rear wheel at the lowest point.

Your transmission I expect is a manual one not hydrostatic unless you are certain otherwise.

What do you know of the history of the non functioning loader, steering and 3 pt hitch.

Did these malfunctions occur after an event such as a repair? Did they all happen at the same time?

All seals on the suction side of the hydraulic pump including those on the suction screen. any piece of rubber hose on the suction side of the pump, all need to be checked very carefully and replaced if there is any doubt of the condition.

Suction leaks allow air into the system and seriously degrade the pump's performance.

Dave
Thank you for the reply. Sorry I left out some important details:

tractor is manual transmission. From what I know, the performance of hitch and loader degraded over a short period of time (I estimate over the course of a few months or 40-50 hours run time. The tractor mostly pulls a two bottom plow, tiller and blade). First bad sign to me was the milky fluid oozing out.

Lifting got slower and slower til the hitch and loader didn’t lift at all. The leak around shifter was bad when I got it. The fluid steadily flowed out from around nearly the entire housing. There were also two leaking hoses on loader which were replaced. There has been no major repairs to this tractor.

I will be sure to check all the seals that you mentioned. Thank you.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Thank you for the reply. Sorry I left out some important details:

tractor is manual transmission. From what I know, the performance of hitch and loader degraded over a short period of time (I estimate over the course of a few months or 40-50 hours run time. The tractor mostly pulls a two bottom plow, tiller and blade). First bad sign to me was the milky fluid oozing out.

Lifting got slower and slower til the hitch and loader didn’t lift at all. The leak around shifter was bad when I got it. The fluid steadily flowed out from around nearly the entire housing. There were also two leaking hoses on loader which were replaced. There has been no major repairs to this tractor.

I will be sure to check all the seals that you mentioned. Thank you.
There may be a clue in what you replied......

Hoses changed.....................

Some hoses make a serious difference if connected incorrectly.

How many hoses connect to the loader valve. 6 or 7?

Dave

jigglypuff

Equipment
Jul 7, 2020
Santa Fe, NM
There may be a clue in what you replied......

Hoses changed.....................

Some hoses make a serious difference if connected incorrectly.

How many hoses connect to the loader valve. 6 or 7?

Dave
There are 7 hoses. I changed two hoses coming from the valve - one was a quick connect type and the other was a screw on. I thought I might have crossed lines but the connections types would’ve made it hard to misconnect, so I’m mostly sure I reconnected correctly but it’s certainly possible that I crossed lines but just don’t know it.

How would I know?

Being that it’s next to impossible to find a manual for the la450s loader, I can’t find a diagram to reference proper hose connections. Anyone have a lead on a manual?

I plan on color coding the lines once I get the tractor up and running.

JNb

Equipment
L3000DT
Dec 1, 2018
New brunswick
The fluid being almost 2 gallon over full may have something to do with it, I am assuming the extra fluid may be water by what you are saying, have you already drained and refilled to spec? How many hours on your l3000? And how does it do with the 2 bottom plow? I have a l 3000 as well and a 2 bottom plow with 12" bottoms and have yet to try it.

jigglypuff

Equipment
Jul 7, 2020
Santa Fe, NM
The fluid being almost 2 gallon over full may have something to do with it, I am assuming the extra fluid may be water by what you are saying, have you already drained and refilled to spec? How many hours on your l3000? And how does it do with the 2 bottom plow? I have a l 3000 as well and a 2 bottom plow with 12" bottoms and have yet to try it.
A lot of it could’ve been water. It’s completely drained now and some water is evaporating from a drained bucket I left out, leaving behind oil in its natural dark colored state.
The odometer reads 740 hours but not sure if it has flipped.
It’s run a two bottom plow plenty of times with no issue, except when you hit pretty hard, unbroken ground.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
There are 7 hoses. I changed two hoses coming from the valve - one was a quick connect type and the other was a screw on. I thought I might have crossed lines but the connections types would’ve made it hard to misconnect, so I’m mostly sure I reconnected correctly but it’s certainly possible that I crossed lines but just don’t know it.

How would I know?

Being that it’s next to impossible to find a manual for the la450s loader, I can’t find a diagram to reference proper hose connections. Anyone have a lead on a manual?

I plan on color coding the lines once I get the tractor up and running.
The significance of the 7 lines instead of 6 is that the loader valve with 7 lines has a power beyond feature that typically is used to feed the 3 pt hitch.

On the body of the loader valve will be letters cast into the body. Letters like P & T and others. Try and clean the body enough so you can see these letters.

I expect you will also have a hydraulic block..... a fancy term for a junction block for hydraulic lines. One or two lines from this block will run to the loader valve.

Post photos of this block and the loader valve as a starting point.

Dave

jigglypuff

Equipment
Jul 7, 2020
Santa Fe, NM

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Kubota's left out in the weather with torn shifter boots all suffer from water in the transmission issues. The shifter fits directly in the top of the gearcase and a compromised boot lets water in as does a bad case breather hose under the seat. You need to check the case breather hose as well. it should be routed downward. I installed porous sintered bronze air tool mufflers in both my breather hoses. That lets the cases breathe but won't allow moisture in.

Some Kubota's also have a large rubber plug on the top of the gearcase (I presume it's the factory fill point. Both my M9's have that and I removed that plug, put 3 Bond on it and reinstalled it to seal it.

jigglypuff

Equipment
Jul 7, 2020
Santa Fe, NM
Kubota's left out in the weather with torn shifter boots all suffer from water in the transmission issues. The shifter fits directly in the top of the gearcase and a compromised boot lets water in as does a bad case breather hose under the seat. You need to check the case breather hose as well. it should be routed downward. I installed porous sintered bronze air tool mufflers in both my breather hoses. That lets the cases breathe but won't allow moisture in.

Some Kubota's also have a large rubber plug on the top of the gearcase (I presume it's the factory fill point. Both my M9's have that and I removed that plug, put 3 Bond on it and reinstalled it to seal it.
The l3000 has metal boots so tearing those is not a problem. The fill cap for the transmission dies have that nipple like cap which probably, even facing downward, still allows moisture/air in. I will check the case breather hose under seat. Thanks for the tip.