New M4, I’m a little rough

KaptainKilo

Equipment
M4-071 Deluxe
May 23, 2022
Oklahoma
Hey all! New Kubota (and tractors in general) owner here. I just got my new M4-071 Deluxe and have been brushhogging galore. I was about to get in it yesterday and noticed I’d bent that thin steel skid plate that rides on the underside of the gas tank. Must’ve grabbed it on a tree or something. I tried prying it back into place but wouldn’t go all the way back. Is that something I should watch? Replace? Am I being too hard on this thing so far?

8B7B23FC-4983-470F-9561-2519B50F4EBB.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
The tractors of today have a very vulnerable underbelly. Sensor wires, filters, hoses, delicate linkages and levers are all places to snag anything and everything. Use extreme caution ⚠ when doing work in places where a branch, twig, stalk or stubble could pierce or poke something tender!

BTW, welcome and nice tractor!!

Reactions: 1 user

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Hey all! New Kubota (and tractors in general) owner here. I just got my new M4-071 Deluxe and have been brushhogging galore. I was about to get in it yesterday and noticed I’d bent that thin steel skid plate that rides on the underside of the gas tank. Must’ve grabbed it on a tree or something. I tried prying it back into place but wouldn’t go all the way back. Is that something I should watch? Replace? Am I being too hard on this thing so far?

View attachment 80634
If its a skid plate its there for a reason and you just found out why. Straighten or replace it. Keep an eye out for potential obstacles and you will be fine. There are other parts of the tractor that you can easily snag. See my "bend'em and bend'em back" post from a couple days ago for another example.

Thats a lot of tractor for a first machine. I am envious. :sick::sick::sick:

Dan

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Until you know what's in the field you're mowing you might slow down and lower your bucket with the cutting edge parallel to the ground. You will then be notified of obstacles!

KaptainKilo

Equipment
M4-071 Deluxe
May 23, 2022
Oklahoma
On that note, how fast do you guys normally brushhog? I've been in turtle 5th or 6th gear. Anything much faster and any little bump in the ground and it's BAM!

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
On that note, how fast do you guys normally brushhog? I've been in turtle 5th or 6th gear. Anything much faster and any little bump in the ground and it's BAM!
A fast walk…which is 3-4 mph.

Keep in mind, that is over familiar ground. If you’ve never shredded/mowed the area previously…. you should walk it first if the growth is above 12” to determine no large rocks, logs, RE-BAR, etc. You can be shocked at what some people will throw into a field and then it’s covered-up with growth. I once found a T-model engine sump half-buried which, if hit by a brush-hog, would likely have done some terrific damage/injury.

The speed mentioned is also the same speed I use for finish-mowing in order to get a nice, clean cut. Just because you’re on a tractor is no reason to mow faster than if you were walking behind a lawn mower. The tractor only allows you to cut a deeper/wider swath.

Last edited:

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
The tractors of today have a very vulnerable underbelly. Sensor wires, filters, hoses, delicate linkages and levers are all places to snag anything and everything. Use extreme caution ⚠ when doing work in places where a branch, twig, stalk or stubble could pierce or poke something tender!

BTW, welcome and nice tractor!!
As a follow up to this important comment, I would suggest you take a moment laying under the tractor with a flashlight, looking up at what is exposed on the tractor bottom...

Understanding what is under there exposed can help limit what damage you might do, because you will question yourself and stop sooner than you might have otherwise.

Worked for me... :)

KaptainKilo

Equipment
M4-071 Deluxe
May 23, 2022
Oklahoma
As a follow up to this important comment, I would suggest you take a moment laying under the tractor with a flashlight, looking up at what is exposed on the tractor bottom...

Understanding what is under there exposed can help limit what damage you might do, because you will question yourself and stop sooner than you might have otherwise.

Worked for me... :)
GREAT IDEA!

jkrubi12

Equipment
B2601/LA435/QA54"/BH70/B8160box/BB1254/PFL1242/SGC0554/WC-68 Chipper
Sep 24, 2012
right coast
KaptainKilo, you could have named yourself KubotaKing with that amazing machine! That's awesome! :D