New L4701. Should dealer have checked a few things?

Bark

Equipment
L4701/FM2560LA765/BB2560Pittsburgh disk Titan P forks
Feb 18, 2020
North CA
Love the new tractor and have learned a lot. However, after it was delivered (and after using the flail mower for awhile) I went to open the hood to stare at stuff.
1: Couldn't get the pin out of the front guard without using a hammer and drift. Had to use a small round file to remove a lot of orange paint from the hole before it would finally work properly.

2: Driving back up the driveway with the PTO shut down and the flail mower raised up to around position 6, the driveway made the tractor lean to the right a little causing the mower to loudly rub against the right rear tire lugs. Turns out the telescopic stabilizers were adjusted to different lengths with the right side being shorter than the left.

3: I went to lower the ROPS so I could mow under the fruit tree branches. Dang near an hour later I finally got it down. The right set bolt required a two foot cheater bar on the wrench to get it to barely turn mangling the welded hook along the way. The left set bolt came out without major problems but was not easy.
Luckily I have a 5/8 X 18 tap and die so after working on the bolts and nuts I can pretty much turn them by had when moving them.

My questions are:
1: Should the dealer have looked under the hood when it was delivered to him? They would have noticed the stuck pin if they did.

2: The dealer supposedly put the FEL, tires and flail mower on at the dealers shop. Should I be worried that since they had the mower improperly installed that they may have goofed up some other things or is it easy to miss-adjust the stabilizers.

3: Am I the only one who has had to use a tap and die on the nuts and bolts of the ROPS or is this a common problem. How did they get the bolts in without noticing.

4: HOW DID I LIVE 65 YEARS WITHOUT A FRONT END LOADER??

Last edited:

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
1: Should the dealer have looked under the hood when it was delivered to him? They would have noticed the stuck pin if they did.
Can you check fluids without looking under the hood? If not, then yeah, they should have.

2: The dealer supposedly put the FEL, tires and flail mower on at the dealers shop. Should I be worried that since they had the mower improperly installed that they may have goofed up some other things or is it easy to miss-adjust the stabilizers.
I wouldn't worry about that specifically - stabilisers should be adjusted whenever you put something on, there's no reason they'd have bothered to adjust them properly if they weren't actually mowing with it. That's a use time adjustment not an install time adjustment.

I know, right? I only have a BX, and debated whether I needed that or a ride on mower. I had no idea how many uses a FEL has until I had one.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Im pretty sure the brush guard on the front is dealer installed and is part of the loader package. Possible they prepped the tractor before installing it. I don’t know how tractor dealers work, but in the car world the vehicles are prepped when they arrive on the transport truck, then put on the lot and thats it. Also usually done by lesser experienced workers too.

How long did the tractor sit on the lot before you bought it? Were the pins and the bolts for the ROPS just rusted from sitting outside on the dealer lot? When I got mine it was the same way with the ROPS. After I got the bolts out and cleaned up, I keep antiseize on them.

The stabilizers should have been checked by you prior to use in my opinion.

Also check the lug nuts on the wheels, loader bracket bolts and front axle fluid levels (well all fluid levels, but axle seems the most overlooked).

Then get back out and go play, I mean work :D

Bark

Equipment
Feb 18, 2020
North CA

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Yeah, couple things you should check after a little use as others said- front axle fluid level, hydraulic fluid level and definitely re-torque the wheels.

My little BX was about a quart low of HST fluid after a little use. Probably just some air. The front axle was also low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
Just the way it is now. People miss stuff. And it doesn't matter who. Found things wrong after the dealer PDI'd my new 2020 Western Star. Found numerous things wrong with my new Polaris atv. Found missing bolts and brackets on my Ford Powerstroke after engine work. And even my Kubota dealer that I really like...stripped a bolt on the loader mount.

You have to go through everything yourself with a fine tooth comb.

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
The dealer left off the plate behind my brush guard. Many have had that happen. I did not realize it either until I read a thread about it here. The dealer ordered one for me, no charge.

They also did not adequately tighten a hydraulic fitting when they installed the backhoe. Not long after running it, I looked down to see hydraulic fluid shooting out from under the foot rest. I shut it down and went to the dealer. They gave me a 5-gallon bucket of hydraulic fluid and never questioned a thing.

They also ran my 3rd function wire under the hydraulic lines near the loader control. The weight of the hoses caused the wire to chafe on the loader frame, and I started blowing fuses.

I also found a very large washer on the floor of the barn. I never could find where it should be on the tractor. I saw some that size holding down the floor plate, but never found a source for it. Perhaps it was one that got lost by the mechanics and it dropped free later?

And, I only have 10 hours on the tractor.

Irritating, but I know not everyone is perfect. I felt as long as they were willing to make it right, it was OK.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Well I could tell you a few things about my dealer(s), but you guys wouldn't like it. They are not negative!:D

Bark

Equipment
Feb 18, 2020
North CA
The front axle was also low.
You have to go through everything yourself with a fine tooth comb.
Irritating, but I know not everyone is perfect. I felt as long as they were willing to make it right, it was OK.
Well I could tell you a few things about my dealer(s), but you guys wouldn't like it. They are not negative!:D
:)
Lots of things I never knew to look at.
I appreciate the info.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Love the new tractor and have learned a lot. However, after it was delivered (and after using the flail mower for awhile) I went to open the hood to stare at stuff.
1: Couldn't get the pin out of the front guard without using a hammer and drift. Had to use a small round file to remove a lot of orange paint from the hole before it would finally work properly.

2: Driving back up the driveway with the PTO shut down and the flail mower raised up to around position 6, the driveway made the tractor lean to the right a little causing the mower to loudly rub against the right rear tire lugs. Turns out the telescopic stabilizers were adjusted to different lengths with the right side being shorter than the left.

3: I went to lower the ROPS so I could mow under the fruit tree branches. Dang near an hour later I finally got it down. The right set bolt required a two foot cheater bar on the wrench to get it to barely turn mangling the welded hook along the way. The left set bolt came out without major problems but was not easy.
Luckily I have a 5/8 X 18 tap and die so after working on the bolts and nuts I can pretty much turn them by had when moving them.

My questions are:

3: Am I the only one who has had to use a tap and die on the nuts and bolts of the ROPS or is this a common problem. How did they get the bolts in without noticing.

Manufacturers pay their dealers to perform PDI.

Some dealers do the PDI and some don't but they all take the manufacturer's PDI money.

SDT

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
I mean it would have been nice for them to check all of the nuts/bolts but not a requirement. If the flail mower came on the machine delivered, again it would have been nice of them to check it. If not its all you.

Good luck with the new machine! remember tractors vibrate so you need to check nuts regularly. I had a few eye openers in my backhoe hydraulic system that cost me a few quarts of fluid. They just loosened themselves. Now I check them before every few uses.

Bark

Equipment
Feb 18, 2020
North CA
They just loosened themselves. Now I check them before every few uses.
Thanks.

Some dealers do the PDI and some don't but they all take the manufacturer's PDI money.
They also charged me an additional $575. for Set-Up and Assemblyu of Tractor & Loader. Supposed to be a normal charge but I was a little irritated that I paid them to put their stickers on my tractor.

edisonck

Equipment
MX5800, RCR1872 Rotary Cutter, DH2596 Disc Harrow, Ford 860, Ford 3-bottom plow
Mar 9, 2020
Chaska, MN
Ditto... I bought a new MX5800 last year and love it. However, I have a LIST of things that didn't get checked before it was delivered- very low front axle oil, coolant, wrong grease fittings, etc. I could go on and on. I struggle with this being the industry 'norm' - especially when you pay that much for a new tractor. Yes, I can check over and 'fix' the brand new tractor, but why should we have to? It also makes me less loyal to the dealer..... Tractor Mike has a list of things to do when you buy a new tractor. I went through the list and there were many things that needed fixing/adjusting. Sad reality.

I still love my tractor, sans the R4 tires that were pushed on me, and the FEL!!!!

Bark

Equipment
Feb 18, 2020
North CA
I still love my tractor, sans the R4 tires that were pushed on me, and the FEL!!!!
Love the FEL. Don't know how I lived without one. Couple of days ago we even used it to help a neighbor butcher a cow.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
The stuck pin on the hood is the only one that really makes me scratch my head. They would have certainly opened the hood. Im surprised you used it without popping it yourself. What ifthere was no coolant put in? What if the air filter wasnt installed? basic things but just what if. You never know if you dont look. Also a side note see if you have 2 air filters on the L4701. The inner and the outter. I would think on a 4701 you would have both. IF you dont however, I highly recommend the inner filter. I know on the lower L serieis models like my 2501, they do not come with inner air filters. Its a $15 purchase and one of the best first things to buy on the 2501 imo.

As others have said check that front axle. Mine was also a little low when I changed it at 50 hours. One thing I noticed on mine when I got it last year is the Loader lock pin, the one that no one actually uses - mine wont actually lock. The holes are too small for the pin I found out. I took it apart when I noticed i couldn't get it to go all the way through to lock the loader stick. One of the plats, the hole just inst big enough for the pin and would need to be drilled out. I didnt bother with it - Knowing it was something I would never use, but I found it odd to how something like this gets past QC. I mean no amount of force will make it lock.

Bark

Equipment
Feb 18, 2020
North CA
The stuck pin on the hood is the only one that really makes me scratch my head. They would have certainly opened the hood.
I was really concerned about that myself. Than Fordtech86 mentioned that the brush guard was probably mounted by the dealer when they installed the FEL meaning they probably did look under the hood when they got it. They than bolted the brush guard on without checking if it operated (moves out of the hoods way) properly.

Speaking of pins and QC, one of the nuts for the fold down hinge on the ROPS vibrated off. It didn't have a cotter pin in it like the other side.

As far as checking under the hood before using it you are right. I should have. However, the dealer delivered it and drove it a little to demonstrate the Flail Mower. I might be in my 60's but am like a kid with new toys so I didn't get around to looking under the hood for several hours:eek:

Last edited:

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I might be in my 60's but am like a kid with new toys so I didn't get around to looking under the hood for several hours:eek:
Entirely legit. I don't know about others, but if someone delivers a new tractor to my house, first thing I'm doing is getting on it and driving it. Then moving some stuff. Then digging some holes. Then mowing the lawn. No chance I'm starting by checking the oil. Like you, around about when I run out of exciting things to do, I'm then going to start looking it all over from head to toe, and maybe I'll look at the fluids then.

Is that sensible, no. Is that normal. Yeah. Hell, the 84 year old down the driveway turned up on his 60 year old Massey Fergusen that he'd liberated from the family farm a couple weeks back, at about a hundred miles an hour, glazed rear brakes and all. Pretty sure he didn't check the oil levels.....and he's definitely old enough to know better.