New L2501 on the way, any advice as far as what to be on the lookout for?

Trash Panda

Equipment
L2501
Feb 18, 2022
Wyoming
First time posting around here after a long time lurking. I’ve gleaned a lot of good knowledge from this site just by reading.

Waiting delivery on an L2501 4wd HST with a loader and 60” rotary cutter here in Wyoming. Primarily going to be using the tractor for Dirt/gravel work, and mowing the range grass on our 8ac the few times a year that it grows enough to need it, and snow removal in the winter on our shortish driveway. I’m eventually going to buy or build a 3pt sprayer unit for spraying weeds and bugs as well.

Seems like a pretty simple, straightforward unit; but is there anything I should be on the watch for, or be asking the dealer about before delivery?

Cheers.

Reactions: 1 user

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
First off, welcome. We’re gonna need pictures.

As for what to check, most everyone’s front axle has been very low. Give that a glance. Go ahead and pickup the 50hr filters, have driver bring them, saves you a trip.

Reactions: 5 users

tractorX

Equipment
KUBOTA L2501 DT 5' BOX BLADE 42" FORKS PIRANHA TB 5' BUSH HOG 6' GRADER
Sep 27, 2013
Rock Spring GA.
Seems like a pretty simple, straightforward unit; but is there anything I should be on the watch for, or be asking the dealer about before delivery?
thats what sold me too... just a old school, super reliable tractor! other than following the maintenance schedule you're good to go. the only thing worth mentioning is the inner air filter. i work the snot outta mine in spring and summer... just a little extra insurance.
https://www.messicks.com/part/ta040-93220/air-filter-inner
oh yeah, i did add a piranha toothbar on the bucket. keep some ballast (400-500#) on the back and you gotcha a ~4000# workhorse! 👊

Reactions: 1 users

Goz63

Equipment
Kubota L2501, LA525 loader, QH15,Land Pride RCR1860, BB2560, SGC0660, forks
Jun 19, 2021
Mississippi
Congrats! Got mine last June and love it. Only thing I wished I had done different is adding rear remotes an top-n-tilt. Looking to add that now this spring. If you are doing dirt work get that upfront. Second don’t dink around with the BB1260 box blade. Get the BB2560. Much heavier build, no clips and the added weight helps. I leave mine on the back 95% of the time for a 500lb ballast. That machine outperforms its specs.

Trash Panda

Equipment
L2501
Feb 18, 2022
Wyoming
Congrats! Got mine last June and love it. Only thing I wished I had done different is adding rear remotes an top-n-tilt. Looking to add that now this spring. If you are doing dirt work get that upfront. Second don’t dink around with the BB1260 box blade. Get the BB2560. Much heavier build, no clips and the added weight helps. I leave mine on the back 95% of the time for a 500lb ballast. That machine outperforms its specs.
I guess I haven’t even bridged that question on cost with my dealer.

I’m a pretty handy guy, and do all my own maintenance/troubleshooting on all my vehicles. So I was planning on getting the unit and gauging the need for rear remotes, and the viability of a TNT kit for what I need. A box blade is going to happen, and I am thinking of having them add a QH15 and box blade to the initial delivery.

Your thinking would be that it’s worth it to have all the remotes installed with a TNT from the dealer, as doing it yourself isn’t really a cost savings?

Njtool

Equipment
Lx2610 HSDC. BH77 backhoe
Jan 1, 2021
New jersey
I guess I haven’t even bridged that question on cost with my dealer.

I’m a pretty handy guy, and do all my own maintenance/troubleshooting on all my vehicles. So I was planning on getting the unit and gauging the need for rear remotes, and the viability of a TNT kit for what I need. A box blade is going to happen, and I am thinking of having them add a QH15 and box blade to the initial delivery.

Your thinking would be that it’s worth it to have all the remotes installed with a TNT from the dealer, as doing it yourself isn’t really a cost savings?
I do all my own work on my vehicles and equipment too. However, the dealer shouldn’t charge for the install on a new tractor. Doing it later will probably make you pay for labor.

Also, for me, the advantage of having them do the install is reliability. They do it all the time so there is no learning curve for me. And if something goes wrong, it’s on them

On a separate note, get a wrench and make sure all you hydraulic hoses are tight. I had several loosen up and spew fluid after a while

I went around and checked all of them with a wrench, there were a bunch that needed to be a little tighter.

imnukensc

Equipment
BX2380
Sep 10, 2015
Midlands of SC
Best advice I can give you besides checking the fluid level in the front axle is READ YOUR OWNER"S MANUAL and then read it again and again.

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
Besides the front axle being low on fluid also check the right front tie rod end. This is part of the dealer set up and mine was missed and at least one other user on the forum had a similar issue. When the dealer tech came to my house to fix he discovered the toe-in was not set correctly either. On top of that , not a single grease zirk for the tie rod ends had seen grease.

IMG_4327.JPG
IMG_4328.JPG

Trash Panda

Equipment
L2501
Feb 18, 2022
Wyoming
Anyone have experience with a box blade without a hydraulic TNT kit, versus with?

I won’t be running the thing a ton, and I can’t see it being worth the cost when figuring the hours I’ll be using it. Doesn’t really seem like manually adjusting a blade or a mower is that big of a deal? Especially considering I’m only working at home and am not in a production type of mindset.

NvRudder

Equipment
L2501DT, LA525, R14's, Bison NVHA210 84" RB, Allied 60" SB, Diamond C 10k Dump
Jun 15, 2021
Northern NV
Congrats on your purchase! Had mine for a few months, great tractor...you will appreciate all it can do for you!
My $.02 on tractor-related recommendations:
  • Get the Work Shop Manual...(as others have said)
  • Get your Pre Delivery Inspection (PDI) Checklist from the Dealer and review each item with them during pickup/delivery
  • Get a TuffJug Diesel fuel container with Ripper Cap...best refueling system I have ever used...no spills, no mess.
  • Check front axle fluid level (if 4WD). Many have reported this critical item was overlooked by Dealers.
  • Recheck wheel lug nut torque...I found 4 or so that were not torqued properly
  • Find and verify zerk fittings have been greased. Many owners have found painted-over fittings that never have been greased... get the paint off & grease so you know they have been lubed properly.
  • Check tire inflation...mine were quite low.
  • Check coolant level after engine has reached normal operating temp. I found the reservoir low after first getting up to temperature...level stable now, must have been air in the system somewhere.
  • Might be some additional HST-related items others can recommend...as I have a Gear Drive.
Happy Tractoring!

Reactions: 2 users

bbxlr8

Equipment
L2501 w/R14s, LA525, BH77, SGC0660, CL 5' BB, CL PHD, WG24 + Ford 1210 60" mmm,
Mar 29, 2021
Eastern PA
Congratulations & welcome. Love mine and my only complaint I have was not deciding to get one sooner ;)

Good advice above. You may want to download and read the owner's manual ahead of time.
My delivery driver was great and stepped me through general control operation etc. but it's nice to have it familiar.

Another key thing is to check the torque on the wheels after a while (10 hours or so...?)

Also, take pics while it's shiny & fresh. I am a bit of a nut and waxed it then promptly dug into testing the same afternoon and never looked back!

Njtool

Equipment
Lx2610 HSDC. BH77 backhoe
Jan 1, 2021
New jersey
Anyone have experience with a box blade without a hydraulic TNT kit, versus with?

I won’t be running the thing a ton, and I can’t see it being worth the cost when figuring the hours I’ll be using it. Doesn’t really seem like manually adjusting a blade or a mower is that big of a deal? Especially considering I’m only working at home and am not in a production type of mindset.
Yes. It depends what you are doing with the box blade. Simple fixing of ruts and stuff is easy and you don’t really need a T&T.

However, if you are trying to regrade or move a lot of dirt then a T&T is the only real way to go. Tilting the front of the box down will dig and collect dirt. Leveling the box will allow you to drag the dirt without continuing to dig. Then gently raising the 3 pt will allow the dirt to escape or raising the 3pt all the way will leave a mound that you can later spread with your bucket.

It all depends on what you plan to do or what you find yourself wanting to do in the future.

Having rear remotes is always an added bonus. I’ve never heard someone complaining about having too many rear remotes. And if you ever sell the tractor, it might be to someone that requires remotes.

Jaker

Equipment
L2501 DT, 66” box blade, sickle bar, bucket forks,3pt 2”receiver
Feb 19, 2022
Vernal,utah
Congrats on your purchase! Had mine for a few months, great tractor...you will appreciate all it can do for you!
My $.02 on tractor-related recommendations:
  • Get the Work Shop Manual...(as others have said)
  • Get your Pre Delivery Inspection (PDI) Checklist from the Dealer and review each item with them during pickup/delivery
  • Get a TuffJug Diesel fuel container with Ripper Cap...best refueling system I have ever used...no spills, no mess.
  • Check front axle fluid level (if 4WD). Many have reported this critical item was overlooked by Dealers.
  • Recheck wheel lug nut torque...I found 4 or so that were not torqued properly
  • Find and verify zerk fittings have been greased. Many owners have found painted-over fittings that never have been greased... get the paint off & grease so you know they have been lubed properly.
  • Check tire inflation...mine were quite low.
  • Check coolant level after engine has reached normal operating temp. I found the reservoir low after first getting up to temperature...level stable now, must have been air in the system somewhere.
  • Might be some additional HST-related items others can recommend...as I have a Gear Drive.
Happy Tractoring!
Thanks that’s great advice! I just ordered a L2501 Dt last month and it should be here in 2 weeks!! just ordered the tuffjug off Amazon I will get a work shop Manuel next.

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
The tips I can add is get the rear tires loaded with Rim Guard If you have the R4 tires it will add just over 600 pounds and it cost me $205 when they did it as part of the tractor prep. Unless the snow is 10-12" deep I don't need 4wd to plow. It really does add that much more traction. My dealer sold me the WSM on a thumb drive for $15 the paper copy was over $150.
The rear remotes are very nice to have and I got both that you can get on my LX2610 but they do cost over a grand to add.

For a box blade consider everything attachments I really like the design of theirs with how the scarifiers are adjusted as well as how they are mounted.

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
Congrats on the L2501! It’s a great tractor! I’ve had mine for just about a year now…I’m very happy with it!

Mike

Reactions: 3 users

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
Try to be mindful of the ROPs height. Many have smashed them into garage/storage openings. Good luck and have fun.

ACDII

Equipment
B2410, L352 Loader, Woods BH70-X backhoe
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
Does this model have the adjustable rear axle hubs like the B2410? Thats the one item I discovered that NEEDS to be torqued properly or they loosen up.