New Kubota

Scott y

Aug 8, 2013
Volga SD
HI, I currently have a 2008 JD4105 , originally was looking for a Kubota but this came along (8 yrs. ago) would like a set up like a MX54000/5200/4800, want heavier FEL lifting capacity mainly. My question or concern mainly is with the Tier 4 emissions engines , has this been an issue for any of you guys? any concerns about future issues or cost related to this systems, especially sensors related electronics and such? otherwise I need to rethink this and go back in time instead of forward , I looked on issues with the new emission requirements and never came up with that much , so can't be to bad, just no idling and short start/stops. Any input greatly appreciated. Thanks

dochsml

Equipment
L4701HST
Jan 21, 2020
Leonard, TX, USA
I haven't had mine for very long and it hasn't even had to regen yet. So far, the only problems that I have with the DPF is the fact that I had to pay for it and there's this big obtrusive thing that doesn't need to be under the bonnet!

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
If you want over a 25 hp tractor, your options are limited. I bought my L2501 just because I did not want the DPF. I would have gladly paid more for a larger hp L if it did not have the emissions stuff on it.

Unfortunately, at least here anyway, the market has dried up on older used pre-emissions tractors, especially the 50 hp and up models. And if you do find one for sale, they are overpriced IMO.

I have no experience with the Tier IV emissions, but do read from time to time of others having an issue here or there. But most seem to be happy with their tractors.

Just realize your pre-emissions tractor is sought after in the used market, at least here. So, hold onto it or realize it is a seller's market.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
I was looking hard at an L3901 Kubota until I noted they have a DPF. I decided at that point what I really wanted was the L2501. Why? I had a Dodge 2500 6.7 liter with the DPF. It was a money pit. I unloaded it. If I ever have another Dodge diesel it will be the older 5.9 liter without the DPF. The same would go for a larger tractor. If I need one I'll get an older one and have it rebuilt when and if required. Some people do well with the newer technology. I prefer older and simpler.

Garrik

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Aug 7, 2019
San Jose, CA
I have had zero trouble with the regen in my new MX6000. Happens automatically, hardly even notice.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I have L3901 and MX 5800 and would comment that regen happens every so often, it takes a few minutes and is not an issue.

The MX series loader has a very useful capacity, if I had to pick one tractor it would be my MX as my smaller tractor loaders are not up to all the tasks that I need to get done. I'm not saying that my loader on my L3901 is bad but just that it is limited in capacity to a level that does not work with my heavier needs. It's rare that my MX 5800 loader will not do the task.

Good luck in your selection, don't worry about the regen it is no big deal.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I think DPF is like most things on the internet. Those who have had issues tend to be quite vocal, but the large majority of people it just works for. You might get unlucky, but in general it doesn't seem as problematic on tractors as on road going vehicles. One key thing is that DPFs like heat, so in general you run at full revs, rather than idling around the place like I tend to do on my BX. If you're doing real tractor work you should be at full revs anyway, so probably no big deal.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
At this point (a little over a year) I have had zero issues with the DPF. I haven't looked recently, but guessing around 170 hours on the tractor.

The model that I heard that had the issues was the 3350 and Kubota has stopped making that model.

Scott y

Aug 8, 2013
Volga SD
Thanks for the Replies Guys! Good info, I am on the fence, I agree with all posts though, either roll with the changes or totally back away, dochsmL you hit the nail on the head, yes works but the bad part is you did not need it but had to pay for it! I was not up to speed on what was going on after I purchased my tractor, now starting looking and I can get what I paid for mine 8 years ago, have 825 hrs. on it now. Maybe in the future there will be some affordable delete options, but will not hold my breath on that. I will give this some more thought and let you know what I decided to do. Thanks I appreciate the input!

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I think DPF is like most things on the internet. Those who have had issues tend to be quite vocal, but the large majority of people it just works for. You might get unlucky, but in general it doesn't seem as problematic on tractors as on road going vehicles. One key thing is that DPFs like heat, so in general you run at full revs, rather than idling around the place like I tend to do on my BX. If you're doing real tractor work you should be at full revs anyway, so probably no big deal.
I don’t know any commercial truckers who find their DPF and DEF systems trouble free, especially when their rig is stuck at the side of the road in limp mode and you have to pay to tow it to the dealer who charges you $500 to plug into their computer to reset the software switch.

IMHO computers are nice when they work but blow chunks when they don’t. And DPF and DEF require a lot of extra hardware and software which just over complicates things. It’s about as desirable as having to hire a lawyer to consult on daily decisions on your mundane activities.

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
I have had my L3901DT since Dec 2014 and it has regen 29 times, the last one was at 391.7 hours. Haven't had any problems with it at all, just keep on working. Some times I have to up the RPMs (which the computer will tell you to do), but that's all there is to it.

Scott y

Aug 8, 2013
Volga SD
We have to have the power and weight of a tractor over 25hp so DPF is a given. Never had an issue with them, we replace units at 2000 hours anyway just to not be in the repairs business
Cathy,
Good point I was pretty much thinking on the same line upgrade at some point 1500 hrs. Or so. The thing is who know what the tractors 5 yrs. From now will be like. I can't imagine any less complex. Thanks

Scott y

Aug 8, 2013
Volga SD

Scott y

Aug 8, 2013
Volga SD
Thanks PaulL
I do think staying under the 75 hp threshold makes a big difference. A friend of mine had to take his older tractor in for repairs got a loaner to finish haying, he said he hated it, constantly dumping in fuel to burn off and def tank was empty when done as well but that was on a high hp tractor. I guess pick the right one or the one you want to begin with. I do want two sets of rear aux. Outlets most sitting on lot do not have them so if I do not build a tractor have to add that. Thanks People I enjoy the feedback.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
constantly dumping in fuel to burn off and def tank was empty when done as well
Shouldn't be dumping in fuel if you're running at target revs. That should be plenty. So is that real, or perception, or is he using tractors in a way that has them idling a lot?

DEF tank I've never dealt with, but I thought you filled them when you filled fuel - i.e. same size as fuel tank in terms of hours? Bit like chainsaw fuel and chain oil.

Scott y

Aug 8, 2013
Volga SD
Shouldn't be dumping in fuel if you're running at target revs. That should be plenty. So is that real, or perception, or is he using tractors in a way that has them idling a lot?

DEF tank I've never dealt with, but I thought you filled them when you filled fuel - i.e. same size as fuel tank in terms of hours? Bit like chainsaw fuel and chain oil.
You are more than likely correct, he could have just assumed this, plus he was not familiar with this tractor, just tying to say that the lower HP tractors are not as big of an issue, he did say both tanks were empty, maybe they were low when he started as well. Thanks