New Kubota Owner (did I do good?)

Oklahoma

Equipment
L225, 48bush, 72finish,
Mar 6, 2011
Rome, Georgia
Hey, I just picked up what I think to be a pristine L225. I am new to owning a tractor, although I've spent many hours on my dad's 52 8N. I know enough to know, I did not want a huge tractor for what I need to do, I DID want a live PTO (who puts a barn there?) and I was leaning toward a diesel. The only thing I know about a Kubota, is my Grampa uses a 50's model International to plow his garden, and a L2202 for everything else. If Grampa owns it, it must be good. I bought this at the local auction for $2700. I went looking for an older Ford gas, or a newer Japanese diesel. (I work for Toyo Tires) After I bought the tractor the old gentleman who brought it in, found me to share the history. I don't know him from Adam, but figure he didn't have any reason to find me, just to tell me a story. He says it was his neighbor's who died last year. The widow asked him to sell it for her. All he knew about the tractor was his neighbor had owned it for the 20 years he's known him, and all he's seen him do is plow a garden and mow the yard. I'll be buffing the paint this week. It doesn't have a dent on it. Even the original airpressure stickers are on the rims. All the dash stickers are intact and even have the clear sheeting still on them. I have a good feeling about this, and hopefully I'll come to really enjoy this.

I do like the fact that it's 4-6 more HP than the 8N, but half as small, and
10x easier to drive. I think I'll even get the wife out to mow this year.

cabu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kuno B1-15 (B1502DT)
May 24, 2009
Germany, Oyten
...I think I'll even get the wife out to mow this year.
That's the same what I have thought, when I bought my Kubota. A few month later I bought a mower from Yardman. And even this is not really working (I mean the mower-wife combination) ;)

carl

ps: Good trade!!

LRP

Sep 29, 2010
canada
hi Oklahoma, if that is u behind the tractor, u could pass as my brother.
i would recomend that u read all the posts on the steering box problems
and take yours apart and fix it before it breakes as there are no more parts availible.
service dept vic( SDV) has after market reverse gears at 1/4 of the cost
of OEM gear. get one now. and don,t grind the gears when shifting in to revearse. u might want to consider shortening pto and shifter levers .
also check the coolant every time u use it,as sdv says the tend to loose
some and u don,t want to crack your head. other than that, those are
honest clydeales under the hood and all u need is wheel weights to utilize
all those horses. welcome aboard.
Louis

Oklahoma

Equipment
L225, 48bush, 72finish,
Mar 6, 2011
Rome, Georgia
Thanks for the advice, I'll get on it asap. That's not me behind the tractor, that guy there is the father of the most wonderful woman in the world:p I'm only 29, so I took my Father-in-law to help me look everything over and offer tech support. I know enough to know I don't know enough.:confused:

stuart

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7001 with loader & tiller, 3 point hitch and 4' rear blade
Aug 9, 2009
Aldergrove, BC, Canada
Nice unit and a good price. I would be cautious about a mower.
A rough cut mower/brush cutter would be good for the fields, but before you consider a finish mower, consider the tires. You would not be pleased with what they can do to to a lawn that is anything but perfectly dry.

Randyj

Equipment
B9200D / BF350 Kubota Loader / L-4530B Kubota Backhoe w - subframe / LP GS1548
Sep 17, 2009
Northern Indiana
Nice lookin' tractor! You did good. Welcome aboard.