New Kubota M7060 Lemon

tim milham

Equipment
M7060 tractor, Kubota DM2028 Disc Mower
Sep 18, 2021
Mena, AR
I bought a new M7060 in January 2020. Within 2 weeks of light use, mostly just feeding round bales, one of the hydraulic remotes started becoming stiff and hard to operate. It finally jammed up and the cable broke.

This summer 2021 I bought a DM2028 Kubota disc mower to start putting up some hay (only need about 80 small rounds a year). While pulling the mower the right side drag link started to bend from the weight (a Kubota M7060 tractor is not all that big but it's still over the recommended horsepower for the Kubota DM2028 mower), I didn't realize that it was bending until I went to unhook the mower and almost never got the drag link off. I then realized that it was severely bent.

Also during this time I was dealing with the tractor losing power under load. It would always start this after about 20 minutes of operation. It was mostly pronounced while pulling a hill. For example, I would be in high first gear at 540 rpm and when starting up an incline or any other load it would bog down to about 350 rpm. I battled this draining the water trap several times (even though the red float ring never indicated any water in the fuel) and even changed the main fuel filter. None of this helped and I started calling my dealer for advice. He told me that 90% of the time a piece of trash would lodge in the elbow just before it goes into the water separator. I took it all apart and meticulously cleaned it two different times with no improvement in the tractor's operation. At this time, I decided to borrow a trailer and make the 50 mile trip to my dealer to drop it off.

I took it there on July 16th and then after waiting for two months they finally got it fixed so they say. They told me that there was water in the fuel system (after I told them at least three different times that I checked for that.) After paying them and reviewing my bill I noticed that I was charged for a fuel cap, and they charged me for the hydraulic cable replacement that never worked properly when I received it new. I explained to them all that I had went through to make sure that I did not have a water in fuel problem before I brought it in, but to no avail I still had to pay for it.

When I left I told them that I will be surprised if it is fixed and will let them know as soon as I hook back up to my mower and put it under load ( I asked them three different times to put it on a pto dyno to make sure it's fixed because I knew that I didn’t have a simple water in fuel problem, which of course they didn't do).

After getting it back home I immediately hooked back up to my Kubota DM2028 disc mower and stated clipping some pastures to try it out. First off, the hydraulic remote lever locked back up just like it did when new. Wow I couldn’t believe it but I went on and tried out the rest of it. I pulled an incline about three times just covering the same path in the pasture just to test it and it kept above 500 rpm And then sure enough about the fourth pass it started falling on its face in high 1st dropping from 540 rpm to about 350 rpm.

So, after two months of waiting on them I get back a tractor that has the same problems that I took it there with and a lift that I can't use because the lift arm is bent like a wet noodle. I have asked them repeatedly about the bent arm and all is they can tell me is that another gentleman had the same problem and that they determined that he was hooking it up improperly. I explained to them that I have operated all sorts of tractors and disc mowers in the last 36 years since I was a teenager and that this Kubota mower was not that much different than anything else that I have operated. I am also meticulous about maintenance and reading and understanding manuals and that I hooked up everything properly, parking stand, parking throw lever thingy, everything,

So, at this point I'm looking for hay to buy thanks to Kubota for my tractor being in the shop a big part of the summer and still can't even use it to cut hay, When I ask the dealer about any chance of getting warranty help with the bent drag link it seems to just go in one ear and out the other.

They have left me with the latest of that they will try to send someone out to look at it. I have tried to be patient, kindly waiting two months for them to come thru, but this is ridiculous.

I think I have a two-part problem of poor dealership service and a Kubota tractor that is a lemon.

Does anyone else on here have another brand of tractor in the 70 hp range that is handling a 10ft disc mower without bending the lift arm so bad? If so please give me advise me, maybe John Deere, Case, New Holland?

I would expect cheap metal that cant handle it on a lesser known tractor, but not a Kubota. I had a M6040 previously before I traded up (or down in this case) and I loved it. I sure wish I had it back.

Thanks in advance for any input or advice.

Tim Milham
Mena, AR

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Welcome to OTT
When you had disc mower attached to 3pt hitch did you have both sway bars adjusted snugly so 3pt draft arms had very little movement from side to side? 3 pt disc mower put extreme strain on draft arms when turning corners especially with cutting bar resting on the grass. My guess is your tractor has a fuel flow blockage or fuel tank isn't venting. Have you checked for correct operation of electric transfer pump????

Dustyx2

Equipment
BX22, M7060, Landpride RC-2512, Woodmax SB84
Feb 19, 2021
NE Wyoming
I'm a little unsure of what is bent. Drag link? That would be a steering component. Maybe the telescoping stabilizer bar? The fuel issue sounds like it may be the fuel injector issues talked about here.
The remote problem may be over torquing of the bolts on the valve, putting the spool in a bind.

Last edited:

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX-040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
First, sounds like a bad dealer. I would call Kubota corporate and file a complaint. They never resolved your issue, did the same rework you had already done and charged you for it. Once you get that working I would find a new dealer.

We don’t have a disc mower on ours so I am not sure about load/specs. Are you certain Kubota recommends this mower with this tractor. I understand HP is there, but as you know there are other factors. Make sure you are covered here before proceeding. If that is good, I would either file an insurance claim for the bent links. Make sure you are hooking this thing up exactly as Kubota requires (not the way you might have done it with other mowers in the past) just to be sure it isn’t you. If you are, then its too much weight and I would have them take it back. If they sold you this model for your machine and it can’t hold it (unless you acknowledged it and still wanted it) then they should make it right.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
First, sounds like a bad dealer. I would call Kubota corporate and file a complaint. They never resolved your issue, did the same rework you had already done and charged you for it. Once you get that working I would find a new dealer.

We don’t have a disc mower on ours so I am not sure about load/specs. Are you certain Kubota recommends this mower with this tractor. I understand HP is there, but as you know there are other factors. Make sure you are covered here before proceeding. If that is good, I would either file an insurance claim for the bent links. Make sure you are hooking this thing up exactly as Kubota requires (not the way you might have done it with other mowers in the past) just to be sure it isn’t you. If you are, then its too much weight and I would have them take it back. If they sold you this model for your machine and it can’t hold it (unless you acknowledged it and still wanted it) then they should make it right.
Agreed.

File a complaint with Kubota Customer Satisfaction. Instructions for doing this are in your warranty information.

Keep good records and follow the procedures precisely.

I've done this successfully but telephone calls may not be sufficient. In my case, I made little progress until I wrote a very persuasive letter (not email).

SDT

whitetiger

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Here is the PSB your dealer should have referenced and performed the test as outlined in this PSB. All it takes to perform the test is their laptop with Diagmaster connected to the tractor.

Once the coolant gets over about 140 degrees, some of the Denso injectors start sticking either open or closed during operation. This naturally results in low power once the engine is warmed up.

PSB-2021-007-E-R1: M-Series; Countermeasure for Defective Fuel Injector on M6060, M7060, and M4

tim milham

Equipment
Sep 18, 2021
Mena, AR
Welcome to OTT
When you had disc mower attached to 3pt hitch did you have both sway bars adjusted snugly so 3pt draft arms had very little movement from side to side? 3 pt disc mower put extreme strain on draft arms when turning corners especially with cutting bar resting on the grass. My guess is your tractor has a fuel flow blockage or fuel tank isn't venting. Have you checked for correct operation of electric transfer pump????
I attached it per the instruction manual which is to adjust the sway bars so that the mower is pulled over to the left of center. It explains that this is to transfer some of the weight to that side and help to balance the tractor. All fuel flow is good and transfer pump working correctly. Thanks

Reactions: 1 user

tim milham

Equipment
Sep 18, 2021
Mena, AR
I'm a little unsure of what is bent. Drag link? That would be a steering component. Maybe the telescoping stabilizer bar? The fuel issue sounds like it may be the fuel injector issues talked about here.
The remote problem may be over torquing of the bolts on the valve, putting the spool in a bind.
Thanks for your reply. I should be calling it the lift arm. I think I worked around someone in the past that got me to calling it that.

Last edited:

tim milham

Equipment
Sep 18, 2021
Mena, AR
Here is the PSB your dealer should have referenced and performed the test as outlined in this PSB. All it takes to perform the test is their laptop with Diagmaster connected to the tractor.

Once the coolant gets over about 140 degrees, some of the Denso injectors start sticking either open or closed during operation. This naturally results in low power once the engine is warmed up.

PSB-2021-007-E-R1: M-Series; Countermeasure for Defective Fuel Injector on M6060, M7060, and M4
Thanks for the info. I suspected that it might be an injector problem. I know the regen on this engine is fairly new and there might be a few bugs for them along the way. That was the reason that I stressed to the dealer that it was not a water in the fuel problem and asked them to hook up to a pto dyno to replicate the problem if they had too. Which they said that they would do but didn't do it..

tim milham

Equipment
Sep 18, 2021
Mena, AR
Agreed.

File a complaint with Kubota Customer Satisfaction. Instructions for doing this are in your warranty information.

Keep good records and follow the procedures precisely.

I've done this successfully but telephone calls may not be sufficient. In my case, I made little progress until I wrote a very persuasive letter (not email).

SDT
I have already emailed them but I may follow up with a letter. Thanks for the idea. Below is the respone that I have gotten from them. I did expect a little better of a response seeing that I am now on day 67 of trying to get this tractor fixed.
The cows may be a bit hungry this winter if I can't get these people to do there job so that I can put up hay. Oh well it's farming and betrween droughts and equipment breaking down nothing that any of us haven't had to learn to deal with.

Good afternoon Mr. Milham,

Thank you for contacting Kubota Customer Satisfaction. In response to have the bent item filed under warranty, warranty only covers manufacture defects unless the dealer determines it to be manufacture defect other wise it's not a warrantable issue, you could try filing under insurance claim , but I believe there is a $250 deductible. In regards to issue with dealer and the piece of equipment I will reach out to dealer and see what other steps can be taken to try and resolve your issues with the machine. Please allow 24 to 48 hrs while I get with dealer.

Thank you in advance,

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I would not call in a complaint. I would email in a complaint and follow it up with a running email dialog if possible. Maybe write them you are deaf or something. Desperate times call for desperate measures. With the email chain established you have documented your efforts and can copy others in as the complaint moves up the chain (hopefully). You have names ,dates ,time...... Much less wiggle room for them than with a phone call. I work for a bank and people email each other across the hall from each other. Pathetic .I see their thumbs moving at light speed continually texting and whatnot. It is what it is. Good luck.

tim milham

Equipment
Sep 18, 2021
Mena, AR
Just a follow up for the latest. On Friday I called the dealer and he said that he would get someone out to my place Sat or Mon. after I told him about the tractor still having problems. I wait until Mon evening and nobody shows up so I call him back. He states that the service man is finishing up a baler and he will be there tomorrow, So now it's Tue 9/21.

Okay this is where it gets real good. Today I happen to look at the fuel/ water seperator and saw the red float floating above the water line in the bowl! This is after I get the tractor back and they charged me for removing the water from my system.

I called the dealer back and told him about this and he started defending the tech and saying that he saw him pump it out. I asked him how he pumped it out and he said that he disconnects a hose and turns the key on. I then told him the the proper way to get water out of the system is by removing the drain plug from the bottom of the tank as per the tractor manual instructions. He just said "that happen sometimes". Right now I'm thinking well how about I just pay for a job just sometimes.

I then asked him why nobody showed up to fix my tractor today and of course another excuse was given. I was prepared to give them plenty of time to fix it with current state of everything but it has been 67 days as of today and I am starting to have a great dislike for Kubota tractor. A problem tractor can be overcome with good service and vise versa, if its a good tractor then it should be easy for the dealer to look good.

I really like this tractor and am willing to work thru some problems with it but Kubota customer service and the Kubota dealer need to get their act together and come up with a plan for me to get back in the hay field. I guess it's not their concern that I can only afford one tractor and this puts me down and out but oh well I guess that's how they roll.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
my experience. M7060 is a bit small for a DM2028. I've run one on a 7060 and wasn't that impressed with it. Loved the tractor but the DM2028 was just a bit big for it.

dealer needs to put the tractor on a dyno to actually duplicate running conditions, while using diag software to watch the efi stuff and boost pressures. Too many dealers don't have dyno's. They are required for dealers to be elite certified. Sometimes they share with another store but that's hugely inconvenient in that if the loaning store is using it, the borrowing store can't get it so it puts you further behind. Dyno's aren't cheap either but that's a dealer issue not a customer issue! I call this growing pains; one of many that Kubota and the dealers are experiencing. I went through it. No fun.

as someone who spend 30 years working in a dealership, I know that there is a lot more to it than what we are reading. Regardless, your issues as described need to be addressed!

tim milham

Equipment
Sep 18, 2021
Mena, AR
my experience. M7060 is a bit small for a DM2028. I've run one on a 7060 and wasn't that impressed with it. Loved the tractor but the DM2028 was just a bit big for it.

dealer needs to put the tractor on a dyno to actually duplicate running conditions, while using diag software to watch the efi stuff and boost pressures. Too many dealers don't have dyno's. They are required for dealers to be elite certified. Sometimes they share with another store but that's hugely inconvenient in that if the loaning store is using it, the borrowing store can't get it so it puts you further behind. Dyno's aren't cheap either but that's a dealer issue not a customer issue! I call this growing pains; one of many that Kubota and the dealers are experiencing. I went through it. No fun.

as someone who spend 30 years working in a dealership, I know that there is a lot more to it than what we are reading. Regardless, your issues as described need to be addressed!
I'm pretty open minded and try to look at situations from all angles and view points as my dad taught me. In this situation I suspected being short on man power in the begining so I was being very patient. Now 67 days later I don't know what to make of it.

I would have never thought it when I bought the tractor from them. They own two dealerships, one in Arkansas and one about 40 miles away from that one in Oklahoma. They are both really nice looking and well kept buildings and always seems to be a lot of staff around. I'm at a loss on this one.

I'll give them a couple more days and then maybe try a different dealer. It's just a pretty good haul for me to take it anywhere from where I live but I may have to just get back on the road with it again. Kubota says in their literature to return it to the dealer that I bought it from for repairs so I'm trying to give them every chance that I can.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Kubota spec's for DM2028 states it weighs 1345#s & a ""50 pto HP tractor"" is recommended. My brother utilized a 45 pto HP on a NH617(9'3''cut) disc cutter for yrs. I utilized a Kuboto M4900(45 pto) to pull a Vermeer M7030(9'3'' cut) disc mower BUT it was on a caddy. My M7040 pulls my Krone AM283S(9'3'' cut) on a caddy just fine.

I personally would not have a 3 pt disc mower of any brand if it was not mounted on a caddy.
I think if both sway bars were adjusted snugly then draft link would be difficult to bend unless an obstruction was encountered(HIT) with cutter bar while operating the 3pt model cutter

Last edited:

1badDart

Sep 7, 2021
W. KY.
Something I was told about cars applies to tractors too, "your car is only as good as your dealer".

About a month ag I bought a used 19 M6060 with 225 hours on it. Knowing very little about them I called my local dealer and asked about any problems with that series tractors. One of the things he told me was that there had been a few tractors with injector issues and if mine experienced power loss to call them and they'd come get it and put new injectors in it. At no cost to me even though it's out of warranty.

I hope your dealer steps up and fixes your tractor.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
haven't read all the replies so its probably been said, but I would be finding a new dealer, even if i had to drive. I would NOT send the tractor back to the same dealer again. It is clear they don't really want to fix your tractor. I have a coworker who just recently bought a brand new M7060 as well, but he loves it. He is a long time tractor collector and rebuilds old antique tractors, and he knows his stuff around tractors. He has been impressed with the 7060 and has already put over 500 hours on it in fairly short time. He has had no issues at all.

tim milham

Equipment
Sep 18, 2021
Mena, AR
Kubota spec's for DM2028 states it weighs 1345#s & a ""50 pto HP tractor"" is recommended. My brother utilized a 45 pto HP on a NH617(9'3''cut) disc cutter for yrs. I utilized a Kuboto M4900(45 pto) to pull a Vermeer M7030(9'3'' cut) disc mower BUT it was on a caddy. My M7040 pulls my Krone AM283S(9'3'' cut) on a caddy just fine.

I personally would not have a 3 pt disc mower of any brand if it was not mounted on a caddy.
I think if both sway bars were adjusted snugly then draft link would be difficult to bend unless an obstruction was encountered(HIT) with cutter bar while operating the 3pt model cutter
Thanks for the input. Do you know if there are any difficulities in loading and unloading with a caddy onto a trailer for transport?

No hard obstructions were hit and the breakaway protection device trips and automatically resets itself properly. The dealer said somebody else had the same problem on their Kubota. In all my years of being around tractors and mowers this is the first time I've ever heard of lower lift arms bending because of the mower. Does anybody else know of this happening on any tractor?

Last edited:

tim milham

Equipment
Sep 18, 2021
Mena, AR
haven't read all the replies so its probably been said, but I would be finding a new dealer, even if i had to drive. I would NOT send the tractor back to the same dealer again. It is clear they don't really want to fix your tractor. I have a coworker who just recently bought a brand new M7060 as well, but he loves it. He is a long time tractor collector and rebuilds old antique tractors, and he knows his stuff around tractors. He has been impressed with the 7060 and has already put over 500 hours on it in fairly short time. He has had no issues at all.
Yes I agree on the tractor, it''s nice. Just can't believe all the problems with only 250 hours. Im getting a quote on a John Deere 5075e. I don't know if the tractor is any better but I have to at least find a decent dealer within a reasonable driving distance from me.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Thanks for the input. Do you know if there are any difficulities in loading and unloading with a caddy onto a trailer for transport?
Loading/unloading a tractor with a caddy/disc cutter attached on a trailer would depend on the operator's driving capabilities but definitely can be accomplished.