new kubota b2301 owner operator

DougVa

Equipment
Kubota B2301
Dec 6, 2021
central va
Hello all, New to tractoring, never operated anything bigger than a large riding lawn mower. I have 5.5 acres mostly wooded and will be buying a Kubota B2301 in the next few days, It will have bucket, grapple and bush hog to start off with. I have several trails that a forestry mulcher cut for me already, that i will be cleaning up, and will try to turn a bit of the land into garden space.
My question is what other attachments do you think will be needed and what has been your experiences with the B2301
Also am looking for a quick hitch but the kubota one is a bit pricey, will most of the quick hitches out there work with land pride and other equipment or do I have to stick with Kubotas.

PorkBolt

Equipment
B2601, 60" MMM, SSQA FEL, Kubota Ballast Box
Sep 22, 2015
Elburn, Illinois
Ballast box; I have the Kubota version which adds approximately 600lbs; its compact too so it comes in handy in tight situations.

Reactions: 1 user

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
Not sure what jobs you have for your tractor but apart from a ballast box I would say a set of forks is an invaluable asset.

I strongly recommend 42" long forks on a width adjustable frame, UA make some nice forks. Do not buy non adjustable forks.

The great thing about a tractor is that there are so many attachments, you do not have to buy land pride as there is a whole world of independent suppliers. Check out Everything Attachments for some ideas. You can pick up used attachments to try from sites like craigslist, if you don't find them useful you can sell they for little to no loss. Work out what you are going to do on your tractor first.

Good luck, share some photos when it arrives.

bbxlr8

Equipment
L2501 w/R14s, LA525, BH77, SGC0660, CL 5' BB, CL PHD, WG24 + Ford 1210 60" mmm,
Mar 29, 2021
Eastern PA
Welcome. You will love it and find it very useful on your property. From my experience, I think you will be surprise and amazed at how much work you can get done even if you believe you know beforehand.

Sounds like you have a great start and there is good advice above. Get started using it, read up here, check out the videos and be safe as you get used to it.

There are lots of options to add capabilities as time and budget allow.
FYI in my case it was grapple that was a game changer and the box blade that I added afterward 😎

Lots of people move logs among many other things with the forks. I can see usefulness and am keeping my eye out, but it has gone way down the list for me w grapple. See what else you are interested in for the back before you pull the trigger on the QH. You may get quick enough at attaching the BHog…

Last edited:

Plant 175

Equipment
Kubota Sidekick
Jun 3, 2021
Wisconsin
Congratulations I almost bought that same model. I’m going to get a B2601 instead but is wasn’t a easy choice

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
Hello all, New to tractoring, never operated anything bigger than a large riding lawn mower. I have 5.5 acres mostly wooded and will be buying a Kubota B2301 in the next few days, It will have bucket, grapple and bush hog to start off with. I have several trails that a forestry mulcher cut for me already, that i will be cleaning up, and will try to turn a bit of the land into garden space.
My question is what other attachments do you think will be needed and what has been your experiences with the B2301
Also am looking for a quick hitch but the kubota one is a bit pricey, will most of the quick hitches out there work with land pride and other equipment or do I have to stick with Kubotas.
I've a HF QH (now about $130) on my JD 2025R and have seen videos where they had it on a B2601. You need to buy another top hook from Amazon for about $46 for use on the bush hog because of interference with the bolts or pins holding the top hook and the top part of the bush hog. You'll also need 4 bushings from TSC for about $4 total to put on the pins of your Cat. 1 bush hog to convert it to Cat. 3 that the bottom hooks are. I also have some other implements and just swap the bushings to them when I change.

We're hoping to have a forestry mulcher come in to do the last bits of work on our 8.5 acres. I have trails but also go across 2 other neighbors' properties and mow/maintain trails there, mostly with the bush hog.

If you don't have a wife who is good at loading the bucket with wood debris like mine is, you might want a grapple. You'll need some additional hydraulic connections up front unless you can get an electric one: then just some wires.

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
Ballast box; I have the Kubota version which adds approximately 600lbs; its compact too so it comes in handy in tight situations.
I've never used a ballast box. Just keep the bush hog on the back. Remove the tail wheel if you don't like so much sticking out back there. I use either the hog or the wood chipper or carryall on back for use with the FEL.

BTW, I'm looking at swapping my JD 2025R for a B2301 or an LX2601SU.

19thSF

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, loader, MMM, pallet forks, tooth bar, rear blade, JD 318 w/plow, JD X350
Mar 1, 2020
Glendale, Rhode Island
Hello DougVA, welcome to the forum. Good luck with the new tractor. It will be useful in ways you can't imagine until you start using it.

I would offer one bit of advice. You have 20.9 rated HP, and 17.5 rated PTO HP. That puts you on the low end of required HP for a Land Pride rotary cutter. Keep Horse Power in mind when shopping rear PTO driven implements. Being under powered with a new implement is not a good thing.

Quick

Equipment
B2601, LA435, BH70, LP SGC0554 Grapple, LP RB1672 Rear Blade, King Kutter 60" BB
Sep 23, 2021
St. Clair, MO.
Welcome, Doug, and congrats on getting a new tractor! As a new tractor buyer, I was in the same place a few months ago and the dealer was pushing the b2301. After researching, I went with the b2601 instead. Minimal difference in price. Worth it though. Just my humble opinion.

Steve67

Equipment
B2601-fel, 60"mmm, 5' rear blade, balast box
Jan 20, 2017
St. Louis, mo.
I recently bought Titans pine needle rake ,it works great for leaf raking and scraping up small branches and such

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
One problem with a 4 ft bush hog on the 2301 is it'll be wider than the tractor rear wheels. Could easily snag one of the front corners on a tree. I plan to get the 3 inch extenders if I get the B2301. Would make it 3 inches wider than a 4 ft bush hog.

I've bush hog, wood chipper (WM WC46: no bigger on the 2301, too heavy), carryall and 5 ft back blade.

Biggest use is as a diesel wheel barrow.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
One problem with a 4 ft bush hog on the 2301 is it'll be wider than the tractor rear wheels. Could easily snag one of the front corners on a tree. I plan to get the 3 inch extenders if I get the B2301. Would make it 3 inches wider than a 4 ft bush hog.

I've bush hog, wood chipper (WM WC46: no bigger on the 2301, too heavy), carryall and 5 ft back blade.

Biggest use is as a diesel wheel barrow.
Ralph - - - as a general rule, you want most implements at least as wide as your tread width, as long as your machine can operate an implement that wide.

Part of operating the tractor will dictate you pay attention to where your implements are. My mid-mount-mower (MMM) extends beyond my tread width, and wouldn't have it any other way. Allows me to mow closer to trees, obstacles, etc.

If your tractor will support a rotary cutter slightly wider than your machine - - go for it.

A rotary cutter extends well-behind the tractor. The "swing" of the mower while making turns can/will require much more attention than a few inches of width.

Last edited:

Mossy dell

Equipment
B2601 (2021) JD970 (1998) B2100 (1991) B6100E (1988)
Jul 20, 2020
sw VA
I have a Woods quick hitch. It is probably made by Worksaver, near as I can tell, an educated guess. It was a bit cheaper than Kubota's, was available, and turned out to work with ALL my implements. Here is mine with my Heavy Hitch weight rack attached. I also put on a wheel spinner and a step, which is for the LX2610, I think, but fits nicely.

Weight Rack w Inside, Outside Racks.jpg

Step 5-28-21.jpg

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
OP you will have to think about rear ballast and enough of it when doing any lifting with the FEL or front attachments!

Mossy dell

Equipment
B2601 (2021) JD970 (1998) B2100 (1991) B6100E (1988)
Jul 20, 2020
sw VA
I think Ralph knows that! He's quite experienced . . .

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
I have a Woods quick hitch. It is probably made by Worksaver, near as I can tell, an educated guess. It was a bit cheaper than Kubota's, was available, and turned out to work with ALL my implements. Here is mine with my Heavy Hitch weight rack attached. I also put on a wheel spinner and a step, which is for the LX2610, I think, but fits nicely.

View attachment 71277
Goodworks Tractors is working on a heavy hitch that attaches to the sides of the QH so you can still hook up an implement.

About the 10 min mark in this video...not sure if it will end up being useful or not.

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
Ralph - - - as a general rule, you want most implements at least as wide as your tread width, as long as your machine can operate an implement that wide.

Part of operating the tractor will dictate you pay attention to where your implements are. My mid-mount-mower (MMM) extends beyond my tread width, and wouldn't have it any other way. Allows me to mow closer to trees, obstacles, etc.

If your tractor will support a rotary cutter slightly wider than your machine - - go for it.

A rotary cutter extends well-behind the tractor. The "swing" of the mower while making turns can/will require much more attention than a few inches of width.
In mowing on trails, I absolutely cannot use a bush hog wider than the rear tire treads. I'd snag a corner for sure.