New Guy here, first post and buying first tractor will appreciate advice

shackleblister

Equipment
2005 BX2230
Nov 13, 2021
Coastal CT
Hi, so looking to make my first tractor purchase. Picked up new piece of property where I can see a tractor doing the snow removal right off the bat. There is some grading to do down the line, I can always use an extra hand hauling and lifting stuff (firewood, boulders, etc). Also might be able to justify a belly mower as I have a pretty good size lot of turf.

Anyway, I am pretty much just internet educated about these creatures, likely I dont know how to even drive her much less operate. I have a viewing for a BX2230 coming up. The gentleman selling has a plow blade, with hydraulics he says. He says he thinks it mounts to the loader/bucket? I do not really know what I am going to find but would like to do some research on it. Can I get a tiny bit of intel on what I might be going to see. Thanks

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I would say that you need to really "view" what your objectives are - you stated some of them, but there are others that need to be addressed.

How big is this "property"

As for the blade that mounts to the loader - not sure that is completely accurate. On that machine which is the older cousin of the current BX series. A rear blade sounds more likely.

What is your budget? You looking to spend 10k or 20+ K?

Youtube is great to see what do and what NOT to do with a tractor !!!!

Reactions: 1 user

Orange man

Equipment
Kubota L2501 LA525 loader , woods prd6000 mower, Land pride RB 1672
Jul 23, 2014
WNY
Do not know what size rock you call a boulder, but if it is what I think of as boulder, you will not be picking those up with a BX size machine!

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
BX isnt going to be a good snow pusher..just not much weight. If the blade angles that helps some but you will likely need ballast and chains.

Yes how much property? lets start there. BX is great for a couple of acres...1 machine to mow, do yard tasks, even some light digging. Yes you can use it for larger places but time becomes a major consideration. Small, light machines can do the work on larger property they just do it much slower than a larger machine.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Hi, so looking to make my first tractor purchase. Picked up new piece of property where I can see a tractor doing the snow removal right off the bat. There is some grading to do down the line, I can always use an extra hand hauling and lifting stuff (firewood, boulders, etc). Also might be able to justify a belly mower as I have a pretty good size lot of turf.

Anyway, I am pretty much just internet educated about these creatures, likely I dont know how to even drive her much less operate. I have a viewing for a BX2230 coming up. The gentleman selling has a plow blade, with hydraulics he says. He says he thinks it mounts to the loader/bucket? I do not really know what I am going to find but would like to do some research on it. Can I get a tiny bit of intel on what I might be going to see. Thanks
The MOST important consideration is:
BUY ENOUGH TRACTOR!
If not, you will very soon buy your second tractor, and be wasting $

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
About all I can tell you is before you start looking at any specific tractors or other equipment the first step is to clearly define exactly what you need it to accomplish. If you need it to be a routine lawnmower that limits size, tires, and ballasting to something that won’t rut up your lawn. If you need to pick up 1000lb rocks, that limits you to a heavier machine with a loader capable of lifting the rock and implement your picking it up with. If you’re running a chipper or some other implement that requires substantial PTO HP that will narrow your choices. Budget may limit your choices as well.

When I started looking for equipment I spent probably two months considering what exactly we needed and wanted to do with the property. Wife and I set a budget at well over what I ended up spending. I looked at CTL’s, tractors, tele-handlers, and the Bobcat ToolCat. Settled on a tractor as the best fit and had a reasonable handle on what minimum PTO HP was required for the most taxing job (chipper and bush hog), drawbar capacity (hauling firewood up stupidly steep hills and pulling a 6’ boxscrape), loader capacity (grapple for brush, logs, removing a good sized railroad tie retaining wall, and moving rocks up to 1500lb). Due to the bush hogging and relatively moderate drawbar needs led me to R4 tires and a relatively light machine. PTO HP put me above the B’s and smaller L’s. Physical dimensions and the width of some of our side sloped trails which would be very difficult and destructive to widen limited physical size. Weather when working (snow blowing v working in tight wooded areas) may influence cab v open station. Do you have needs to dig? If yes, a backhoe is much better than just a loader. Acreage and how much time you have is important. Sure, you can bush hog 50 acres with a 4’ bush hog, but do you really need a bigger deck so you aren’t spending multiple days doing it? You can mow your yard with a BX but you can’t lift a 2000lb boulder with it, nor can you mow your yard routinely with a MX.

That kind of analysis is needed to put you on the machine that will do what you need it to do. Absent that sort of analysis you’re likely to either have too big or too small of a machine or not have it set up properly with the right ballasting, tires, and hydraulic options. If you end up with the wrong machine you will be disappointed with its performance.

If you can post a list of exactly what you need it to do and a list of what you want it to do, you’re more likely to get accurate recommendations much better than “buy the biggest machine your budget allows” or “I love mine so get one just like mine”. Same thing if you go to a dealer to get advice. If you can clearly articulate what you need it to do, you’re more likely to get it right the first time.

Finally, with a top tier machine such as a Kubota, you can swap the wrong machine for the right one without taking a bath financially. However, if you have implements that are sized for the initial wrong machine, trading them for implements suited to the right sized machine later isn’t as painless financially so it’s important to get it right the first time if possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Welcome. I think a couple mentioned above….how much property? Also what will you want to do with it over next 10years? Think about your tasks. Tractor is like a diesel power plant that can do a variety of tasks. Makes one hell of a wheel barrow that can lift incredible weight. Small tractor will do more than you image…but it takes longer and has limitations based on machine weight(traction) and hydraulic capacity. Finally anyone else you want to operate it? I ask the last one in case someone who will use is not capable with a standard transmission. Think safety for those who may use as well as be in vicinity. I assume that is you and yours. If not family with standard transmission be aware even a small tractor can do serious damage coming off the clutch and when trying to life or feather clutch or something. It’s very easy for a novice to say ‘oops’.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Welcome. I think a couple mentioned above….how much property? Also what will you want to do with it over next 10years? Think about your tasks. Tractor is like a diesel power plant that can do a variety of tasks. Makes one hell of a wheel barrow that can lift incredible weight. Small tractor will do more than you image…but it takes longer and has limitations based on machine weight(traction) and hydraulic capacity. Finally anyone else you want to operate it? I ask the last one in case someone who will use is not capable with a standard transmission. Think safety for those who may use as well as be in vicinity. I assume that is you and yours. If not family with standard transmission be aware even a small tractor can do serious damage coming off the clutch and when trying to life or feather clutch or something. It’s very easy for a novice to say ‘oops’.
Next here is my story…started with a Bx with just a belly mower. It was an awesome mowing machine and I could even skid logs with it. Then I later added a loader and holy crap this does a lot, but seemed to need a little more weight. So I bought a larger property and decided to sell bx and get a B. Belly mower and loader. Awesome however it just was not enough so I have since bought Mx and still keep the b at my residence. I still plow snow with an atv for what it is worth. Loader bucket makes more mess than it cleans up. Loader can move a pile but not good for clearing driveway. We f you have any questions of Bx vs b vs Mx I am happy to help. Think about the tasks you will do most…I suspect mowing? We f so I’d suggest biggest you can afford and have space for with a belly mower. Likely a B. You will not regret extra size and weight or power. Do you know the person that wish they bought a smaller machine? I don’t know them either. Think about future tasks and what size you need to do? What do your neighbors have? What do they have and what do they wish they bought. A couple refreshing beverages and some fellowship with neighbor may help narrow down what might be reasonable or desired in your case. For an arm chair quarterback like me I can only guess and speculate not knowing your situation. Good luck.

shackleblister

Equipment
2005 BX2230
Nov 13, 2021
Coastal CT
So what i have is 3 wooded acres. Admittedly not a lot of land, but far more than the 1/4 I spent the last 57 years on. Of course I will need to plow the driveway, 750'L with additional open space parking area about 600sf. The machine I'm looking at has a mower and bagger system so I could mow with that, it would eliminate walking behind the Bobcat Classic, which takes about an hour to double-cut. The loader I would use for moving "boulders", which are nothing more than maybe 1 cubic foot granite. I actually refer to them as "manrocks" because at only 170lbs they are what we usually handle manually. Could the loader handle more than 1? It was mentioned tractors make great wheelbarrows. I can see going the length of the drive picking up deadwood, maybe pulling (skidding) small widow-makers out of the brush. Having a diesel power plant onsite would hopefully relieve me of doing everything via brute force. I've been doing that as a contractor for the past 39 years.

It might be nice to use it to prep the pad for my barn, maybe even help a little with lifting timbers, I have no idea of her capabilities yet, but am thinking she has plenty of hp to handle my needs. The tractor also comes with a rear weight box, along with both fr and rear wheel weights. I also inherited with the land several piles of stone/fill debris I would like to disperse, remove, or at least level out.

Please go ahead and make some more obs based on the above, you all have more knowledge than I although yes I did talk to the neighbors, watched the YT videos, and have been looking into Kubotas since June. btw, one neighbor has a backhoe on his, so I will use that if needed and maybe I can pick up another attachment to share.

I'm here to learn and what I was originally asking about was what am I likely to see in regards to the plow? It definitely has hydraulics, it is definitely a front mount, it definitely angles manually.

I guess on the windup, this will definitely NOT be used commercially. More so something to make life just a little easier and have some fun with. Thanks.

Shack

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
^^^^^
I think the BX will be handle the work you have described on your size property. As others have mentioned, you may need to add weights and tire chains for traction, but I’m confident the BX will be a good choice, it’ll just do the work a bit slower than a larger tractor. My only concern would be ground engagement/leveling ground, however, with patience, the BX can handle that too.

Mike

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
^^^^^
I think the BX will be handle the work you have described on your size property. As others have mentioned, you may need to add weights and tire chains for traction, but I’m confident the BX will be a good choice, it’ll just do the work a bit slower than a larger tractor. My only concern would be ground engagement/leveling ground, however, with patience, the BX can handle that too.

Mike
Loaders are awesome for lifting…flat ground is a must if you want to use the full capacity / full height. If you have a load in air, and especially if ground not flat, drive as slow and smooth as possible and as fast as necessary. Last thing you want to do is to get the load/tractor bouncing…the loader arms with lid are like a huge lever and regardless of the ballast in tires or weights, the Bx doesn’t have the footprint in a less than ideal ground situation with load in the air…takes very little to lift rear end off ground or worse it could crumple your loader frame. Just be aware. Doesn’t mean you can’t do it, but if you start by saying ‘hold my beer’, better insert a bite guard and buckle the chin strap if you plan on lifting much very high or at a speed that bounces. If you get yourself some slings/straps you will find all kinds of ways to save your back, but you will use the full lift height. Good luck.

ZTMAN

Equipment
BX2380
Aug 26, 2018
South Central Pa
Below is a link where you can look at the specs for the 2230.

How many hours are on the machine, and what is the fellow asking for it?

I would want to see the maintenance records, and make sure everything works on the tractor. If plowing is important, have the owner hook up the plow so you can see everything works.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
To your first question, plowing snow with a blade…it looked like you have a bit of a long driveway and a wood property…I am not sure you have buildings to plow around or how much space you have off side of the length of the driveway. This is all a consideration if you get deep snow. You may want to consider you have place to push snow too and depending on normal frequency of next snow and amounts, you can run out of space quickly with a plow vs a blower…especially a narrow long driveway with trees right up to it. Plow is much faster though for a quick cleaning. Once the snow is more than 2/3 the height of the blade you may have work cut out for you. Also if you have buildings to plow around, again you need space to put the snow. You can always drop the plow and put bucket back on to move it however that might take a while on the your driveway length. I assume you have snow removal now and your neighbors too…do they push it or blow it?

shackleblister

Equipment
2005 BX2230
Nov 13, 2021
Coastal CT
I have just one picture of the plow from the seller (he is actually facilitating the sale, it's not his machine). I would really like to know what kind of plow set-up this is prior to going to see it. I want to know if it will work for me and so want to do some research first.

I have now realized there are numerous ways to plow with a tractor... strap it into the bucket, attach to the bucket with pins, use with loader arms with no bucket, mounted to the tractor itself, and I'm sure I'm missing a few. Would anybody care to comment as to what I'm showing here- I can see two Hydraulic lines maybe? Thanks, Shack.

Kobota plow.jpg