New generation of foxes

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
I have been videoing the fox den in the woods, close to our house, for more than a year now. They have been using that den for many years and in the past I took photos of them. Now there are 2 video cameras directed right at the den.
Recently I caught two coyotes entering the den as well as a bobcat in the area. I haven't seen one of the adults in a couple of weeks so I was sure the predators got him as well as the kits. Maybe not :)
This morning I caught several of the kits poking their noses out of the den for the 1st time. In this clip the adult is bringing back a yummy breakfast for them. btw the hole in the bank on the far right is where a woodchuck has taken up residence.

Foxes

another (better) camera view

2nd camera view (will take a few minutes for HD version to process)

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Thanks for posting!

As a city-mouse who moved to the “country” 32 years ago, ... I thought I was supposed to shoot foxes on-sight.... But I threw scraps off the back porch for the deer and turkeys, etc .... mindlessly not realizing the scraps would attract other critters.
Once a little red fox showed up and so I grabbed he .22 and shot her. She was turned away from me to leave (since I’d become visible to her) so when I pulled the trigger, the bullet went right into her rear-end and up the tailpipe. She lay crying pitifully for a full minute before she finally died and it shamed me into depression of my action.
I don’t have chickens or any other reason to have killed that little girl other than ignorance.
I’ve quit hunting completely since.

Don’t get me wrong... I ain’t afraid to shoot anything/anyone who is a threat to me or mine.... or if I really needed the food.

But the grocery has what I need .... and I can’t create them, ....so I don’t feel I should take away their life for no reason..... and as Gods’ creatures they have a right to live.

Again, thanks for letting us enjoy your den activities.

Reactions: 1 users

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
I can understand. I gave away my rifle when my 1st son was born - 48 yrs ago. As much as it pains me financially with the deer eating my plants, I haven't let a bow hunter friend of mine come on my property to thin the herd, even though he promises that when he leaves I wouldn't know he was there. The best I did is ping one of them with my pellet gun once, which they hardly noticed. Only letting the dogs chase them off works.
I'm sure if I were raising chickens and the foxes were a pest then I would treat them like the woodpeckers on our house. The pellet gun is pretty effective with Woody.
Although the den is only about 30m from the fenced in area from our dogs, the foxes just ignore the dog barking at them. Apparently it only bothers me to hear her barking.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 user

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
That was really great to watch. I only get to see them zip by for a split second here if I'm lucky enough to catch a glimpse. I wish I got to see them in action like this. It looks like he had a squirrel for the kits?

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Thanks for sharing that. We have trail cams, which of course are often fun and educational with their still shots, but there’s no comparison to the quality of your video from “2nd camera view”, which is just incredible. What setup are you using for your video?

GeoHorn’s fox story reminded me of my son’s introduction to firearms. We had various guns throughout his life and used them. I do hunt some for meat and not getting into the ethics of it, but I will say some hunting I’m good with and some not, just as a personal matter. Anyway, had told my son from the time he was little if he ever got interested in the guns, don’t try to get to them to mess with them, just let me know and together we’d make sure he had a proper introduction. Around 15, he told me he just had an itch to see what they were all about so we talked about what all he really wanted to do, and came up with a plan to introduce him to firearms in an organized way with real training in safety, shooting technique, ethics, and maintenance. Told him my one requirement was once he was a competent shooter, he had to kill two things. Didn’t care if he never hunted again in his whole life, and didn’t care what it was, so long as it was legal and ethical. He agreed despite thinking it was an odd requirement.

We had a good time with it and eventually it was time for him to make good on the kill two things promise. By that time he’d run over 1000 rounds through a .22LR target shooting and plinking, plus at least a few hundred rounds with a 12 gauge shooting clays and enough with the .308 to know that’s not a plinker for most people.

So he decided to go squirrel hunting. Sure enough, saw a squirrel, had a safe shot at it, lined it up and pulled the trigger just like he’d done over and over with paper and spinning targets... and he was shocked. We picked up the squirrel. I told him we were heading back to the house and he was fixing to learn how to clean and cook a squirrel. It had been a long time since I’d grilled a squirrel so it was kind of a treat, too.

As we were cleaning the squirrel we talked about why he had to kill something and why it was two things, not just one. We talked a good bit about the ethics of gun ownership, hunting, killing in general. He said it really became real that even with the little .22 it’s a tool for killing and there’s no redo after the trigger is pulled. He knew that in a book sense before but not in the same way he knew it after.

He did kill the second thing as well. That was a four point whitetail, I believe. He’s hunted deer, turkey, duck, squirrel, muskrat, coyote but not avidly.

He’s in his mid-20’s now and owns a gun. He has stated several times he also believes pretty strongly anyone who owns a gun should have to kill at least two things.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Thanks for sharing that. We have trail cams, which of course are often fun and educational with their still shots, but there’s no comparison to the quality of your video from “2nd camera view”, which is just incredible. What setup are you using for your video?
I have 13 ip cameras wired into my lan. I use mostly 4K units - fixed focal length, zooms and 'tilt and zooms'. The camera with the good view here is a 4k zoom. I need to reposition it today to center it better on the den.
I ran cat 5 cable out there as well as a 40V dc line. 'Buck' devices reduce the voltage to 12V to power the cameras, switches I have out there and a lot of IR illumination for night viewing. Its turned into a mini-hobby for me.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I have turned a few foxes both red and gray in to clothing over the years and few they went down killing a lamb or at least partaking in it anyway, yotes are another story. But that was back in my youth, now, well I would rather just watch them,,,,,,, sometimes

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
LOL Skeets. I repositioned one of the cameras this am. This clip is long (9 min) but you get the drift in 2 or 3. The clinking noises are rain drops hitting the camera.
If you are into nature you are going to love this :)
Best viewed in full screen HD

Proud Mama feeding the kits

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
That's so neat.

Last year we had a Red-tailed Hawk's nest 40 yards from the back door in a White Pine.

This year we they're back...and may have another nest another 25 yards from the first.

I don't have cameras to catalog their activities, but wish I did.