New family member! What did I miss?

Rick479

Equipment
B2601, loader, box blade, grapple
Dec 2, 2022
Benton, Arkansas
Just had my new B2601 delivered and really happy with it thus far. I got the quick attach loader and bucket, LP grapple, LP box blade, LP forks, and quick hitch. Looking through these forums and others, I think I've got the "most used and useful" attachments covered. No need for snow attachments (Central Arkansas) and no MMM needed (have a lawn tractor... got this for property work). I'm on about 10 acres of wooded property and plan on using the tractor for maintenance, cutting trails, small to medium log moving and other tasks nearer the house (leveling, ground work, garden, etc.).

What did I miss? Any other things that are "must haves"? I considerd a rear blade and/or rake, but think the box blade will suffice for now. I don't think I'll need a bush hog as the property isn't heavy with undergrowth.

Thanks!

Reactions: 1 users

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Sounds like you got a nice setup. Enjoy and like most of us, you will find things that you will want for the tractor, everything from light mods, to sawhauls, to numerous other devices and attachments to list.

I didn't see a grill guard on your list, but since you have a grapple, you will want to seriously consider a grill guard to protect your investment.

Reactions: 1 user

Rick479

Equipment
Dec 2, 2022
Benton, Arkansas
Sounds like you got a nice setup. Enjoy and like most of us, you will find things that you will want for the tractor, everything from light mods, to sawhauls, to numerous other devices and attachments to list.

I didn't see a grill guard on your list, but since you have a grapple, you will want to seriously consider a grill guard to protect your investment.
I should have mentioned that! I haven't gotten one, but am considering welding a screen over the existing grill guard, but I'm unsure of whether that will provide the coverage needed. What do you think?

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Implements are expensive and take up a lot of storage space. While a tractor without implements is of very little use, the list of implements I would purchase without identifying a specific need is quite short and based on your list, you already have all of them.

Good example: You mention gardening. If you plan to prep the seed bed for your garden with your tractor, a tiller is probably in order. If you already have an adequate tiller, another one for your tractor may be a waste of space and money.

Same with a rotary cutter or flail. Maybe you need one; maybe you don’t. If you have a lot of brush, burning isn’t a good option, and brush piles are growing faster than they’re rotting, maybe a chipper is a good solution. I, and a lot of others, can spend your money and clog up your shed/garage quite easily.

Particularly if this is your first tractor and you don’t fully know it’s capabilities, I’d start with what you have and add implements as you see the need for them.

Reactions: 2 users

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I should have mentioned that! I haven't gotten one, but am considering welding a screen over the existing grill guard, but I'm unsure of whether that will provide the coverage needed. What do you think?
My first grill guard

Resized_20190822_155013001.jpeg

Worked great, got the snot beat out of it. I replaced it with this one

Resized_20220703_135329.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Expanded metal like Bmyers made should work for you.
Another cross brace or two would be a good idea.

My grapple has a full steel back plate, so there is very little likelihood of anything poking through.
For some, that extra steel could be a restrictive weight issue, but I have a 3,000 lb. loader.

Last edited:

Rick479

Equipment
Dec 2, 2022
Benton, Arkansas
Thanks! I tried hard to do my due dilligence. I want what I need, but I'm not looking to spend money just to spend money either.

The REAL reason for this thread is that the checkbook is open for now (read here... wifey is okay with spending the money to get what I need/want all at once), but that won't last forever. After a bit it I'll have to space them out so as to not draw fire so to speak.

You're spot on about the storage space (and the cost of the implements!). I have a 3 car garage that I already park two cars in (it's also my level, cement floored, 1 bay shop), a 10 x 14 shed for work on small items, and I'm building a 20', two-sided carport to house the tractor and most of the implements. With just what I've got it will fill up most of it.

Pawnee

Equipment
L2501
Jul 1, 2021
Ontario Canada
Unless you already have one you should get a digital multimeter and learn how to use it.

Most requests for help on here are for 'no-start' issues.
It's just about always a poor high current connection or an interlock switch gone wonky.
Nothing wrong with these tractors, they all do that.

Enjoy yours!

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
tooth bar
I have a self made tooth bar for my Ford 1920, (32HP) but never have used it.
I also have a "ratchet rake" for the sweet little Ford, that I have never used.
With the 48HP TLB I seem to have enough Umph to push into whatever I need to move, with either the bucket or the grapple.

For a B2601 though, it does seem like a tooth bar might be a very good idea.

MountainMeadows

Equipment
L2501, JD 655, Ford 841, JD 6x4 Gator, Gravely 432.
Jun 6, 2022
Poconos, PA
If you're handy with a welder you can make something with more protection coverage then those you can purchase.

This is the grill guard I fabricated...........

20220806_111135.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
Consider the area below the grill guard, sticks and branches can get up there and cause damage. Lown performance make a lower "chin strap guard", combine this with a grill guard and you are well protected.

Good luck with your new tractor, you will find lot's of uses for it.
Chin Strap 1.jpg

Grill Guard 1.jpg

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
A favorite accessory, a carry basket (ATV basket).

Basket.jpg

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
congrats. Agree with the suggestions above on toothbar, steering wheel knob. I'll throw another option out to you...if you are planning on taking down lots of trees, maybe consider a stump grinder.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
Trailer hitch receiver. I move trailers around with it, but it's other main job is for skidding logs out of the forest. And occasional subsoiler.

Attachments

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Congrats.

I agree rotary cutter or flail to keep it from being overrun.

Loaded tires, wheel spacers, tool carrier. Agree with brush guard. I'd also add guards for your hydraulics and fuel filter.

Some way to carry a chain and a way to hook it to your draw bar. Bucket hooks. I attached an ATV basket to my rops to carry items. Work lights, roof. Fire extinguisher.

Depending on what QH you got, maybe bushings.