New Dump Trailer!

BA76

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5400 Tractor, RB3784 Rear Blade, RCF2072 Brush Mower, FDR1672 Finish Mower
Dec 21, 2020
Illinois
Our new 12’ hydraulic dump trailer is sort of a implement I’d say. It will definitely be pulled by my MX5400. I can think of many uses for this rascal around the property. It’s headed to the firewood area first thing this morning. It’s not super fancy but will work for us just fine.

Attachments

Reactions: 8 users

pokey1416

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L4060HSTC, BH92 Backhoe, HLA Snow Pusher, Dirt Dog Tiller, EA DiscHarrow
Jun 24, 2020
SW Michigan
That is nice! I picked one up last month but it’s 7K GVWR so my Tacoma can pull it. I’ll be interested to hear how pulling yours with tractor works out.

BC8FD9C4-7542-448C-8383-967DF9C12908.jpeg

Reactions: 4 users

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Both trailers are very nice. I hope some day to have one of our own.

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
gee they're prety when new.......
mine's 'used/abused' but still very roadworthy

I plan to downsize though... want to build a 5by8 single axle to replace both the 6x10 TA dumpper and the 5x8 SA utility.

BA76

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 21, 2020
Illinois
That is nice! I picked one up last month but it’s 7K GVWR so my Tacoma can pull it. I’ll be interested to hear how pulling yours with tractor works out.

View attachment 53805
Thanks! My dad was never a fan of scissor type hoists on our grain trucks of the past. He preferred twin hydraulic cylinders. From what I have gathered, scissor hoists are the preferred lift mechanism for dump trailers these days. When I saw this trailer had the twin cylinders I said “good, that’s what I want”. The salesman informed me that wasn’t necessarily the better lift. I stayed with my father’s recommendations. 😀

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
They both look great.
I bought a 6 x 10 7000lb LoadTrail last year.
2020_Load_Trail_6x10_7K_Dump_wTarp_kitRapid_ChargerSolar_Charger_and_Ramps_PUsS48.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Lil Foot.... I looked at several brands before I also bought a Load Trail. (10K) . It has some details/features not always found on other brands and had heavier-construction in critical areas.
I did have a hydraulic pump failure on it after a year of light-use: I went out to check on it frequently since it sits largely unused. The warm weather seems to keep the on-board charging unit constantly running it’s cooling-fan even tho’ the battery is fully-charged. One day I found the wiring all burned up on the control-unit. It had been 14 months since I bought it (2-yr warranty) and had only used it lightly... it is stored most of the time, plugged-in to 120 VAC for the charger.
I called the dealer and they asked me to bring it in, and three days later they called to say it was repaired. They had changed out completely the entire hydraulic-pump/tank/motor and charger, and wiring harness, keeping only the battery. Nice job and cheerful/apologetic about the failure.
I hope it doesn’t happen again. They said a solenoid/relay had failed. I believe it’s the charger brand/model which uses temperature as a sensor/activation rather than battery condition,... as its cooling fan runs almost continuously in warm weather ... so I’ve not plugged it back in to 120 VAC... instead just put a battery-maintainer on the battery.

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
A good dump trailer is something you don’t use every day, but any day you use it, will bring a smile to your face. It’s one of those things your glad you have, when you need it.

BA76

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 21, 2020
Illinois
I was surprised at the number of manufactures out there building dump trailers. Also surprised at the scarcity of the 12’ models with that many companies building them.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I looked at several brands before I also bought a Load Trail. (10K) . It has some details/features not always found on other brands and had heavier-construction in critical areas.
I totally agree, more features & strength for the same or less money.

When I bought mine, dealer had two, with exactly the same features. The one that was easy to access (he had about 80 trailers on hand) had a bolt broken off on the barn door latch. Dealer said no problem, we will just pull out the other one. Bought it & the dealer did all the paperwork; title, plates, etc and I took it home. The next day I was checking out my new toy, er, tool, and found the three way tailgate had a problem. The barn doors worked, the spreader gate worked, but the tailgate feature would not fold down.
Called the dealer and he said bring it back. Checked it out and found the tailgate hinge had been welded on wrong at the factory. Dealer had not sent in the paperwork on trailer #1 yet, so he just shredded it and redid the paperwork for trailer #2. They replaced the bolt & got my on my way with no fuss at all, and were very apologetic for my trouble.
Mine lives in AZ, but in the high country, in the garage, so no real heat issues there.
I have had no problems at all with the trailer since, and have hauled 23 large loads of
pine needle/leaves/slash/logs to the forest service burn pit, an 8 mile round trip.

Should have bought it years ago. :rolleyes:

Thunder chicken

Equipment
M7060
Dec 29, 2019
Northern ontario
Our new 12’ hydraulic dump trailer is sort of a implement I’d say. It will definitely be pulled by my MX5400. I can think of many uses for this rascal around the property. It’s headed to the firewood area first thing this morning. It’s not super fancy but will work for us just fine.
Enjoy your trailer!!
I pull mine with the tractor more than the truck. I use the 7pin for lights but watch out as you may blow the fuse for the 12v charging which on my M is lights.....
I also made up a disconnect on the hyd lines near the pump to disconnect the pump and use the tractor hydraulics rather than the battery. Now to rig up the tail gate with electric or hydraulic so no getting out of the cab :)

View attachment 53805
I pull my 6x10 7k with my Tacoma occasionally, with a cord of wood (higher sideboards) and it’s likely under the 7k but not by much if the wood is green, I find the Taco gets a bit light in the front, and as you know you gotta keep the RPM up where the power is! I have a MT and never am above 4th with a load.

pokey1416

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 24, 2020
SW Michigan
Enjoy your trailer!!
I pull mine with the tractor more than the truck. I use the 7pin for lights but watch out as you may blow the fuse for the 12v charging which on my M is lights.....
I also made up a disconnect on the hyd lines near the pump to disconnect the pump and use the tractor hydraulics rather than the battery. Now to rig up the tail gate with electric or hydraulic so no getting out of the cab :)

I pull my 6x10 7k with my Tacoma occasionally, with a cord of wood (higher sideboards) and it’s likely under the 7k but not by much if the wood is green, I find the Taco gets a bit light in the front, and as you know you gotta keep the RPM up where the power is! I have a MT and never am above 4th with a load.
Agree on the front end a little light. I have to put sideboards on it yet and thinking of double 2x6’s as if I go to high I might tend to overload it. What did you do for sideboards? I put the Roadmaster Active Suspension on last year and that helps.

9D16556D-709C-4D4F-A79A-6889E739678E.jpeg

Thunder chicken

Equipment
M7060
Dec 29, 2019
Northern ontario
Agree on the front end a little light. I have to put sideboards on it yet and thinking of double 2x6’s as if I go to high I might tend to overload it. What did you do for sideboards? I put the Roadmaster Active Suspension on last year and that helps.

View attachment 53829
I have 2 2x10’s. Makes the sides about 3’ high, I figure ~180cu/ft of loose 16” split wood to make a stacked cord. Depending on species a cord of green wood is around 4000# give or take. Ish. I was thinking about air bags but that looks like a good option!

Tarmy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800, BH76A, FEL,box scraper
Nov 17, 2009
Lake Almanor, Ca
Nice....very handy tool. I built this on mine to haul tools and to tie down the bucket when hauling.
7D8F6457-51B3-4C07-9737-A168B465E44B.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users

BA76

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 21, 2020
Illinois
Nice....very handy tool. I built this on mine to haul tools and to tie down the bucket when hauling. View attachment 53815
That looks great! I was thinking yesterday some weather tight storage on the trailer would be nice.

pokey1416

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 24, 2020
SW Michigan
Nice scores...

In the picture in post #2, it appears to have drive on ramps tucked under the back tail gate ??
Is that so ??
Yes tucked underneath. It’s a 5’x10’ Diamond C. Adjustable ramp widths will allow me to haul my zero turn with its 42” deck.