New decking on my trailer

Downeaster

Equipment
Kubota BX1880, loader, mower deck, and ballast
Oct 18, 2022
Waterford, Maine
I saw it demonstrated a few years ago Before I ever bought any. The rep opened a gallon, stuck a piece of 4x4 in the sealant and within seconds it was moving up the unexposed portion of the 4x4. I can’t believe how long it has lasted on the wood I have used it in. It’s really a really good sealer/stain.
This was great for me to know. I have used the Thompsons before with no so good results. The trailer I have now is my 4th trailer, and finally alum. i bought it just before covid, and the cost of it doubled after that. The company is relatively new, but known here in Maine for quality work. The boards are the best I have ever seen on a trailer, but now it does need some sealant, and I am taking your advice, and will get the Ready seal. Too cold now to do anything..

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I used to have one similar, and I too have trees that drop everything. My board were slowly rotting, and my Black pain was always rusting. I had to paint the trailer every two years, just to stop rust. Fenders eventually fell off. I sold it for cheap money, then bought a new aluminum landscape trailer with
2x8 pressure treated boards with good spacing. No more painting or wondering if the boards are
strong enough for what I put on the trailer. You did a good job, and your trailer is in far better shape
than mine was.
My solution is to store my 20' equipment trailer inside.
To make good use of space, I keep my yet to be restored old Ford pickup aboard.

Reactions: 1 users

Downeaster

Equipment
Oct 18, 2022
Waterford, Maine
This was great for me to know. I have used the Thompsons before with no so good results. The trailer I have now is my 4th trailer, and finally alum. i bought it just before covid, and the cost of it doubled after that. The company is relatively new, but known here in Maine for quality work. The boards are the best I have ever seen on a trailer, but now it does need some sealant, and I am taking your advice, and will get the Ready seal. Too cold now to do anything..
Stopped by the store that sells the Ready seal. I had to look hard as they had every Cabot stain available, but I found it on a lower shelf in about 6 or 7 shades. I picked up a gallon of the shade that closely matches the PT boards. Of all the shades it happened to be $10. less than the others. $39. When things dry out in the Spring I will put a coast on the trailer boards, and probably have plenty left over for another coating. Thanks for your post...

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Not sure if you are going to seal your deck, but I found a sealer that really penetrates the wood, is not paraffin based (Thompson‘s Water Seal and others) so it doesn’t peel and really lasts. It’s called Ready Seal and has lasted on all the fences and decks including my trailer that I’ve used it on. It penetrates deep into the wood.
Most people around here use automatic transmission fluid to seal trailer deck boards. It protects, is fairly cheap in large jugs, and isn’t slippery when dried.

Equipment
B2601
Sep 15, 2022
Ontario
Purchased my trailer new in 2008, It is a Bix Tex 30SA, 14" x 5" deck single axle 3000 GTW, Anyway the original 2"x6" treated lumber decking was too close together and it held leaves and debris and last spring I had maple tree sprouts growing up thru the cracks, I power washed it and used it thru the summer but decided this spring that I was going to replace the decking, I cut the old decking off and used an impact driver to take the T40 deck screws out, I bought new screws and new marine grade treated 2"x6" s...Anyway when I went to put the new decking in I realized that the 2"x6"s fit in a channel in the front and back of the trailer and that I had to bow them up to get them to fit, well I have a kubota with a front end loader so pulling up on the center of a 14' 2x6 was easy peasy. anyway here are some pics, All done I stripped the old decking out friday and put the new decking in today.
View attachment 56670
View attachment 56671 View attachment 56672 View attachment 56673
Welcome to the group. I replaced a deck on my trailer also that was held in a channel at both ends, but I found the channel at the back was actually a piece of angle iron that was put on after the new deck was layed down and tack welded all along the length, all I did was zip cut the tack welds off take the angle iron off and lift the boards off.

Downeaster

Equipment
Oct 18, 2022
Waterford, Maine
Most people around here use automatic transmission fluid to seal trailer deck boards. It protects, is fairly cheap in large jugs, and isn’t slippery when dried.
If I didn't use this stain, that is what I had in mind. A lot of people around Maine use old motor oil for rustproofing their trucks. It does work, but I was a little worried about rubber tire slippage on the trailer boards if I used oil.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
If I didn't use this stain, that is what I had in mind. A lot of people around Maine use old motor oil for rustproofing their trucks. It does work, but I was a little worried about rubber tire slippage on the trailer boards if I used oil.
Motor oil is slippery, ATF is not.

Reactions: 1 user

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I wonder if they realize that the acids in used motor oil will help the rust formation.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
X2 on used ATF. Just did mine. Turned out much better than using used motor oil since the ATF isn't slippery. The ATF also absorbed (penetrated) quite well.

Wet:

ATF wet2.JPG

dry:

ATF dry2.JPG