New BX25D but transmission case has a hairline crack

Blue280z

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 1, 2020
Canada
Hi All,

I am a new member and a very excited to buy a 2015 BX25D (delivered earlier this AM) with only 37 hours on it.

Sadly, when we unloaded it and started it up on an incline, we noticed a puddle of transmission fluid developing that was not under it where we bought it nor on the trailer deck where it was driven upon and sat for the 1 hr return drive.

Upon inspection, there seems to be a hairline transmission crack in the front for the case near the PTO spline. It seems to be along a casting line.

There is no damage or any signs of an impact to cause the crack. Could this be a manufacturing flaw that just finally broke through?

Here is a video:

BX25D Transmission Crack Leaking

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
It’s why you benefit from buying something new.... with a WARRANTY.

Don’t know about Canada... but you might be better off to REFUSE delivery. You may have 30 days to do so IF YOU DON’T OPERATE THE TRACTOR For intended purpose. It’s defective and you don’t have to accept it. Don’t let them leave it on your property. Tell them to come pick it up immediately. Do NOT wait for a “decision” from Kubota. IMO

Further, you don’t have to accept THAT tractor. If it were my choice, I‘d insist on a completely different NEW tractor delivered.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
No matter what caused it, refuse it and send it back. The repair will be quite expensive

Unlike mine where the back pto casting is separate and removable, I don't believe that one is.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
I guess the first question would be is the tractor new old stock from a dealer or a five year old tractor you purchased used either from the dealer or a private party? The source of the purchase would bear on the remedy. This could be an incredibly expensive repair.

Blue280z

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 1, 2020
Canada
Thanks. It was a private purchase.

I'm going to check with the dealer and I updated the seller. Three possible solutions are:

1. drain transmission, remove paint, clean with solvent, epoxy (JB Weld)
2. drain transmission, remove paint, remove material to make a channel over the crack, TIG weld
3. disassemble and replace part

Does anyone have an exploded drawing of the transmission case?

Thanks again!

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
I'm going to check with the dealer and I updated the seller. Three Four possible solutions are:

2. drain transmission, remove paint, remove material to make a channel over the crack, TIG weld
4. Run the other way and don't look back

Reactions: 2 users

Brick Axelrod

Equipment
L5460, BH92, RCR1872, FDR2572.RTVX1100c
Apr 12, 2018
South Carolina
Make the party you bought it from repair it correctly or return it if they won’t. You just bought somebody’s problem.

Reactions: 1 users

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA

I'm going to check with the dealer and I updated the seller. Three possible solutions are:

Thanks again!
1). Not a realistic option IMHO
2). You will not get all the oil out and will end up with burnt particles contaminating the hydraulic system leading to even more damage.
3). The right way to do it. Did you get the tractor cheap enough to make this an option that is realistic?

Tire Biter

Equipment
B 2601 434 loader MMM, bunch of tractor stuff . Ford 4600
Jul 10, 2012
S.E. TN
JB weld never worked for me for any length of time on anything. Threw it away. I can’t believe the previous owner didnt know about this. No wonder it was sold with only 37 hrs. Good luck to you on getting it resoloved. Hope it works out!

Blue280z

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 1, 2020
Canada
I'll talk to Kubota dealer in the AM. Today is a holiday in Canada/.

Here is a close up of the leak area. It looks like something blunt may have hit the transmission case at the leak location. The paint looks a bit compressed.
kubota leak area.jpg

Palmettokat

Equipment
M6800, B2710, L6060, Volvo 5 ton excavator and implements.
Apr 21, 2020
South Carolina
Based upon what you said about no sign of leak when you bought it nor on the trailer being hauled for an hour it is very possible this is new leak. If the seller could be proven to have known there was a leak you need to check on legal rights. I would check with the sellers dealer to see if they knew any issue with the tractor. If the only sign of damage is the paint and it is the original paint that to me seems to have been a very light lick to cracked that housing, if cracked. Is it possible there is only a pinhole in it?

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
I've had nothing but good luck with JB Weld but I don't think it would work too well there.
What I would do... After thorough draining and tipping the machine to mimimize any dripping. I'd purge the case with co2, nitrogen, or argon, vee out the area with a carbide burr, spot fill it with a spool gun mig to control the heating, level it, then bridge over the whole area. It's going to be tricky because the oil is going to thin and start wicking through as soon as it sees heat, but it can be done.
This only after exhausting all tries for a warranty repair. 37 hour machine, when was the original sale date? No transfer of warranty for 2nd owner? Can the PO make the call about warranty or is it timed out?

Last edited:

Blue280z

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 1, 2020
Canada
Here is the replacement part:
Part # 010 in drawing below
Kobota part: K258111110 COVER,FRONT HST
Price: ~$620USD.

1593652893279.png

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
yeesh, 620USD is over 1000 Canucks !! If I had to do the repair, I'd tear the unit apart, clean #010 super clean, at least 3 x over 3 days,maybe heat to get rid of more oil residue, grind the INSIDE of the case where the leak is ( seems to be a corner, which is good). Once TOTALLY satified there is ZERO oil, then use 2-3 LAYERS of JB weld,each bigger than the one under it. If properly cleaned, and 50/50 JBWeld, the repair will outlive you and me.
I can't tell what caused the damage or when from that one photo but I've used this method on similar problems with 100% sucess.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Could it be drilled out and tapped and then plugger with a drain plug and washer?

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA

Thanks again!

#1 never works. I've done it a thousand times on motorcycle and ATV cases where the chain has been neglected, has come off and knocked a little hole in the cases. 100% failure rate, 100% return rate (and it's cost me some money).

#2 VERY likely to not work as well. With TIG you will need absolutely clean metal. Oil is infused into the cast aluminum, and it will be very hard to get it out. A weld? That will be challenging. I have welded automotive transmission cases in the past using GTAW process (TIG) for circle track guys. Most of the time the GM powerglide cases since apparently you can't find them anywhere. I'd sell a case for $50 but these guys want THEIRS welded, same price (usually). Whatever. Anyway, the fluid gets into the cheesy cast material and makes it really really hard to get them clean enough to properly run a bead on them. Usually just glob it on, sand (grind) it down, clean, clean, clean some more, glob some more on, sand/grind, repeat until there is a bunch of aluminum dirt dobbers nests piled on enough to "plug" the hole, and BTW there is no guarantee that it won't crack afterwards.

#3 is the best solution that will be a lasting, proper repair. But it's also the most expensive.

I like #4 the best. BUT being a private sale, you may not have much to go on. Most private sales are considered "as-is" unless otherwise noted, which is usually a bill of sale or a contract of some sort. I know it's got low hours. What is the age of the tractor? They have a 2 year limited warranty, so if it's less than 2 years old, run it by a dealership and ask them if there is any way they can snap a few pics of it and send pictures off to Kubota for a pre-approval (basically it's just asking them permission to spend their money).

Option number 5. Does it have an insurance policy on it??