New BX23S: lifting generator with FEL?

cwl3

Mar 31, 2016
Hickory, NC
I have a generator (~350lbs) I need to lift with the FEL of my new (delivered last Saturday) BX23S. The genset has an eyebolt, as an intentional lift point, at the top center of balance.

I’ve seen on larger tractors, with thicker gauge steel FEL buckets, chains with hooks, hooked over the edge of the bucket for simple hoisting/lifting. I just don’t want bend the bucket. Any ideas and/or suggestions? I’ve also seen some pics of aftermarket, bolt-on shackle mounts. I just haven’t had time to look for them or know what I might want.

I need to lift the genset only about 12” inches to place a pallet under it. Then I can pick it up with my pallet forks for the BX.

Thanks for any advice!

Calvin

jkcolo22

Equipment
BX25D
Jan 5, 2017
Castle Rock, Colorado
Well... you have so many options. Bxpanded.com makes nice clip on bucket hooks. I’ve lifted way more than 350Lbs with them on my BX. Kens bolt on hooks are nice too. I have the weld on ones, I just haven’t put them on yet. But since you already have pallet forks... just slide them together towards the center and lift from under the generator. Or throw a chain over the torque bar on your forks (the bar at the top). 350Lbs is no sweat for your machine.

P.S. I wouldn’t necessarily recommend a chain on your bucket without hooks. But you could probably throw a chain directly on the SSQA mount if you can find something stable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Toss a sling or chain over the forks (or one fork at 350#) and pick it. If you use both forks, slide them together first so they can't slide together under load. Either way, curl the forks a bit and keep the chain / sling near the tractor end of the forks.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Why not use the 'other end'? The backhoe should be able to lift it.
Another option, remove bucket, strap arounf the SSQA frame on the loader.
Or, slide a long(44"+-) piece of 1.5" square tubing inside the top lip of the bucket.if you weld a grab hook,or 2 or 3. onto this 'bar' you can easily lift heavy stuff.
and.. if ou curl the bucket all the way back, you can loop a strap aound the 3" diameter loader cross member,over the curled bucket down to the load.

PA452

Equipment
B2650
Nov 8, 2015
Western PA
Coincidentally I just lifted a generator with my BX23 a couple months ago, probably around that weight, maybe slightly lighter. If I remember right I had a rope tied to the cross support behind the bucket and it draped down in front of the bucket. Had to put some protection in between the bucket cutting edge and the rope. Worked fine.

That said, I'd just tie/strap/chain to the forks if I had them.

Jpatrick

Equipment
BX1850, L210, Various 3 point implements
Apr 4, 2017
Buckingham, Pa
I use ratchet straps around the bucket to lift a variety of things. I've lifted engines, logs, railroad ties, fuel tanks, and other stuff. I put one strap on each side between boom and curl cylinder. More straps if balance is an issue.