New BX23S arrives tomorrow - Break-In advice?

cwl3

Mar 31, 2016
Hickory, NC
The new BX23X arrives tomorrow. Does anyone have any break-in advice or maintenance that exceeds the service intervals in the owner guide? On my gas engines I usually run lightly for a couple of hours then change oil. I’ve not owned a new diesel or hydro before - so not sure what I can do to elongate the lifespan of the system by starting off right.

Thanks!

Calvin

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
Best is to read and perform what the operator's manual says.

Don't change filters before the full break-in schedule.

After about 5 hours check the torque on fasteners such as wheel lugs.

Try to keep the tank full when not using the machine to block condensation and resulting water in the tank.

Double check all fluids before running the first time. Make sure all the safety devices work as they should.

Congrats on your new machine!

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Congrats.

maybe snag an owners manual on line and start reading. Then read it again.

Other than what's outlined in the manual and stated above. run it normally but stay out of full throttle and vary it if you can. Others typically say to make sure that you work it (under load) after a few hours.

You'll be fine. They are great machines with lots of info on youtube as well.

Enjoy.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
The new BX23X arrives tomorrow. Does anyone have any break-in advice or maintenance that exceeds the service intervals in the owner guide? On my gas engines I usually run lightly for a couple of hours then change oil. I’ve not owned a new diesel or hydro before - so not sure what I can do to elongate the lifespan of the system by starting off right.

Thanks!

Calvin
As others have said....read - read - read again!

Run it at about 2000-2500 rpms for most all work, try not to run it higher than 3k, baby it a bit, not the engine the machine. AND WHATEVER you do ....do not baby the engine!!!!!!!!!!!

On the FEL - when backing up with load, release the joystick.....go ahead and ask why.....:p

If moving with load up front, move with it as low as possible - try not to raise it high and move a good bit - bad things will happen.

With the hoe - line up some 5 gallon buckets and practice placing the bucket on them, try to scoop up a basketball if you have one. When digging with the hoe - do not raise the machine up with the outriggers! OK to take a little pressure off the rears, but up high does little good.

Change oil around 50 hours - change/clean all applicable filters then too.
Hydro oil need not be changed then. Write down things when you do them;)

You will find out quickly a diesel is a different animal than a gasser - all for the better too! Once your 50 hours are up - do not feel like you cannot run the revs up - you will find the machine runs very well at 3200 rpms.;)

Reactions: 1 user

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
The new BX23X arrives tomorrow.
Calvin - - if you don't post photos of your new tractor, you'll be barred forever, or scorned for a long time....:(

Just kidding - - enjoy, send pictures, and heed the recommendations of the others!

Congrats - - I remember the "day before delivery" anxiety....:D

Last edited:

rokhunter

Equipment
BX23S TLB
Dec 28, 2018
Baker, Florida, United States
An essential part of your break in should involve a stop at www.bxpanded.com, where you'll want to get the Under Armor and piranha bar at a minimum. If you plan to have the backhoe on & off to use your 3-pt, get the cradle for it as well.

If you spend 35-50 hours without these things like I did, you'll curse yourself for a long, long time.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

dggott

Equipment
bx2200
Jul 14, 2018
Tipton IA
An essential part of your break in should involve a stop at www.bxpanded.com, where you'll want to get the Under Armor and piranha bar at a minimum. If you plan to have the backhoe on & off to use your 3-pt, get the cradle for it as well.

If you spend 35-50 hours without these things like I did, you'll curse yourself for a long, long time.

cwl3- read the posts in "piranha toothbar" in the "implements and attachments" and be very very very patient.

nbking

Equipment
L2501HST 4X4, Rtv-x900
Jul 8, 2018
Sonora, CA
Go to you tube and watch some tractor videos. Tractor Mike has a list of things to check once you get delivery of your new tractor, go to his website it's like 20 things to check and you can print it out..Good luck with your new tractor.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
85 has you pretty well covered on the break in,,, you really dont need to baby it, though with the other stuff like he said slow and easy learn the machine, and think each step through untill you get it all down pat,,,Your oil is going to make you say WTF is going on here it will be black and look really yucky,, thats just the nature of a diesel,, Use a good sync oil any brand you like as long as it is diesel rated I use Mobil 1 some even use the generic brand diesel oil as long as it meets specs you will be fine. After that you can run her like you stole her if you want,,

WARNING
Main thing is ,never and I mean NEVER like your better half know how much fun you are having, never let her see you smiling,,,,, always have a bottle of water to splash on your face when your done as if you was busting your butt out there!
If you fail to follow this simple rule odds are you will be getting a lot less seat time,, cause the better half wiii out playing! ;)

shiraz627

Equipment
BX23S Piranha toothbar, Underarmor, PFL1242 pallet forks, BXpanded thumb, ripper
Aug 1, 2018
Kingsland. GA

The underarmour is very important to protect the HST fan.

bulliebullybull

Jul 26, 2017
Beallsville Pennsylvania
Lots of great advice on her but I always learned that these diesel tractor engines really don’t need break in like gas motors. I have the same tractor with hoe and loader with 300 hours just over two years old. Use it for side business from everything from bush hogging to miscellaneous excavation. I had to start this bad boy off hard and runs like a champ. I am strict with maintenance and the dealer does it all but oil changes. For this after I dumped out the original oil I’ve only used 15W40 Amsoil heavy duty diesel oil. Good maintenance is key to longevity. Run that beast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

luc.who

Sep 1, 2018
Lewisberry PA
Congrats on the new tractor. I have 39 hours on mine, a few scratches and really enjoy it. I have stuggled putting the FEL and BH on and off. I have since made notes and use them each time for removal and re-install.

I also treat my diesel fuel, I learned all about diesel geling this past winter and don't plan to have that again.

I do like my 23S, but there are a few rocks my wife wants moved that I need a bigger tractor for. I planted 4 trees this past weekend and the biggest problem was moving the tractor :) Love the BH.

If you want to write you own notes, watch Neil at Messick's.. I never find the implements as easy as Neil says.. but with time its getting much easier.

rokhunter

Equipment
BX23S TLB
Dec 28, 2018
Baker, Florida, United States
Congrats on the new tractor. I have 39 hours on mine, a few scratches and really enjoy it. I have stuggled putting the FEL and BH on and off. I have since made notes and use them each time for removal and re-install.

If you want to write you own notes, watch Neil at Messick's.. I never find the implements as easy as Neil says.. but with time its getting much easier.
I was in the same boat getting the loader and backhoe off and on. My hallelujah moment for the loader came when I found a perfectly level spot to remove & install it, that made all the difference. For the backhoe, the cradle from bxpanded made the process "stupid easy" and I've had no issues. I imagine their FEL cradle would make the front end just as easy.

And, I second the videos from Messicks, especially the one about "proper" use of the HST pedal. I was one of those guys doing it wrong, and his video gave me instant results this past weekend.

hiho silver

Equipment
Orange Tractor L3901
Nov 28, 2016
Midwest US
Absolute number one priority with a new tractor-get the better half to get a few minutes of seat time. Does wonders for future discussions about customizations and equipment needs/wants.