New BX - what should come with factory mulch kit?

cwl3

Mar 31, 2016
Hickory, NC
I’m waiting on delivery of a BX23 (BX backhoe model) with 54” mid-mount deck. I went ahead and “splurged” on the mulching kit too - dealer installed. $450 is steep and reading though posts here I can’t get a good idea of what the kit should come with. I know there are baffles installed on deck. The sales guy said it would come with “mulching” blades too. Should it come with a plug as well? Anything else? Sorry - big purchase and nervous. Sadly, reports of experiences with dealers seem all over the place...

Thanks!

Calvin

jhschlak

Equipment
BX 1880
Apr 5, 2011
Sharon Center, Ohio
No plug. The steel baffle covers the exit chute. Different set of blades that have the lift type of blade to keep it in the air longer to cut it up.
Jeff

Jpatrick

Equipment
BX1850, L210, Various 3 point implements
Apr 4, 2017
Buckingham, Pa
The nice thing about a mulch kit is that the clippings go down into the lawn instead of out the chute and all over the operator if the wind is blowing the wrong way.

Downside of mulch kit in addition to the cost is that it takes a little more power from the engine, and some say the blades need to be sharpened more frequently.

Also, be sure to clean the radiator pre-screen regularly, and watch the temp gauge. The screen will plug up with grass clippings. Some say the mulch kit accelerates buildup on the pre-screen. Seems to be true. Anyway, I clean out the mower deck and radiator pre-screen and engine compartment with an electric leaf blower. Others use compressed air.