New BX 1880 Owner

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC, MX6000HST (sold), BX25TLB (sold), GL7000
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
@BX1880Dude, congratulations on your new tractor! My first Kubota was a BX25TLB which I had for five years. It was a very useful little machine for me, cutting about 5 acres in the summer, blowing snow off 400 yards of driveway all winter, digging trenches, moving dirt, leveling gravel etc. It never let me down, but eventually I realized that I needed something bigger. You might very well find your BX to be the perfect size for your needs but you'll enjoy it for sure.

The manager of the local Kubota dealership who sold me the BX in 2016 bought it from me last year to use at his cabin on the lake but he also has an L6060 for bigger jobs. The salesman who sold me both MXs has said a number of times that I need to look after "his" tractor. I guess he thinks he's next in line for the MX in a few years! :LOL:

BX1880Dude

Equipment
2022 BX 1880
Sep 19, 2022
Dayton, OH
@BX1880Dude, congratulations on your new tractor! My first Kubota was a BX25TLB which I had for five years. It was a very useful little machine for me, cutting about 5 acres in the summer, blowing snow off 400 yards of driveway all winter, digging trenches, moving dirt, leveling gravel etc. It never let me down, but eventually I realized that I needed something bigger. You might very well find your BX to be the perfect size for your needs but you'll enjoy it for sure.

The manager of the local Kubota dealership who sold me the BX in 2016 bought it from me last year to use at his cabin on the lake but he also has an L6060 for bigger jobs. The salesman who sold me both MXs has said a number of times that I need to look after "his" tractor. I guess he thinks he's next in line for the MX in a few years! :LOL:
This is my first "tractor", I don't plan on running it more than 2 hours a week, so I couldn't justify the larger tractor now. This is really to get my feet wet with a good machine and see what it can do, and see what I want to do. It's a house with a some land, not a farm. I will likely haul a few logs, cut the grass mainly, move some mulch and rock around. If I decide to relocate some water lines, I'll rent a ditch witch and dig in 30 minutes what a tractor would take half a day.

So far it's fun to drive, but I need to learn how to use it safely and correctly before I get anything bigger. I've driven loaders with 4 yard buckets but I can tell this much smaller unit is a little squirrely! I think the ballast bucket will be my first upgrade.

Reactions: 4 users

ve9aa

Equipment
tg1860, bx2380
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
I hauled (BIG!) fallen trees around my property for 15 years with nothing more than a TG1860(diesel) RWD lawn tractor and had no trouble at all. If it would've been possible to put a tiny loader or 3-pt hitch on it, it might've been the perfect machine for me. (I think it's also 18hp and I don't find it lacking.)
I am sure your 1880 would run circles around it.

If you decide in a couple years it's not big enough (or whatever) you'll (hopefully) lose very little on your investment and you can upgrade.

My BX2380 is absolutely perfect for my needs and everyone's needs are different. Some of them vastly different. We ought to keep that in mind ;-)

BX1880Dude..please post some pix of it doing work one of these times. We love pix !

Have fun & be careful

Reactions: 1 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC, MX6000HST (sold), BX25TLB (sold), GL7000
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
This is my first "tractor", I don't plan on running it more than 2 hours a week, so I couldn't justify the larger tractor now. This is really to get my feet wet with a good machine and see what it can do, and see what I want to do. It's a house with a some land, not a farm. I will likely haul a few logs, cut the grass mainly, move some mulch and rock around. If I decide to relocate some water lines, I'll rent a ditch witch and dig in 30 minutes what a tractor would take half a day.

So far it's fun to drive, but I need to learn how to use it safely and correctly before I get anything bigger. I've driven loaders with 4 yard buckets but I can tell this much smaller unit is a little squirrely! I think the ballast bucket will be my first upgrade.
Sounds like you have a good plan and have thought it through. No one here needs to justify their decision on anything unless some married couples are on this forum. :ROFLMAO:

You might want to check out Good Works Tractors and the quick hitch/weight bracket combination rather than a rear ballast box if that's what you mean by "ballast bucket". One supposed advantage of that system is that you can run an implement on the 3-point while also having the extra weight in place for added downforce.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Jeez guys, sorry I bought the wrong tractor...I must not have done any research. I sure am glad I stumbled into here so I could get flamed for buying something so undersized and stupid!

I sure wish now I had spent an extra $10K for something I may use once a year. No way I could go rent that for 1/50th of the price and accomplish the task.

I will look into the ballast box, it seems like the most practical advice given thus far, and thank you all for that.

Other than that, I'll be lurking, as my too-small tractor is apparently not welcomed here very much.
OP. Welcome and congrats on your new machine! Don't let some of these folks run you off. For some reason, they just like to piss on everybody's shoes it seems. Never mind them. Hint: there is an "Ignore User" function which I use as well. Trust me, it helps. ;)

This is a great forum (usually) filled with lots of orange tractor knowledge (again, if you filter out a few blow-hards).

Congrats, and enjoy your new machine.

Reactions: 4 users

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
Madison,Pa.
Your initial post states that you have 5.5 acres!
Many of us here believe than an 18 HP tractor is really little more than another lawn tractor, and will be undersized for a property with 4 acres of woods.
There are many hundreds of years of experience here on OTT.

Your "extra 10K" comparison would appear to be a wild exaggeration, unless you stole your BX1880.
I would agree with you if he said he was going to clear 4 acres of woods! Alas he never did. I guess as you were reading it wasnt long before you stopped paying attention to what the OP wrote and were just thinking this is an opportunity to post my usual " buy enough tractor" again. You said "There are many hundreds of years of experience here on OTT" This statement is true but also many do not read into or pay attention to what the OP said.
Maybe he needs a L48?

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I would agree with you if he said he was going to clear 4 acres of woods! Alas he never did. I guess as you were reading it wasnt long before you stopped paying attention to what the OP wrote and were just thinking this is an opportunity to post my usual " buy enough tractor" again. You said "There are many hundreds of years of experience here on OTT" This statement is true but also many do not read into or pay attention to what the OP said.
Maybe he needs a L48?
Sarcasm received!

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I vote MX.
I would not even begin to consider a tier IV MX as an alternative to a L48 TLB.

MX 6000 =
less loader lift capacity
2' Less backhoe dig depth
1700 lbs. less total weight
Way less hyd. flow ( 9.5 gpm v/s 25.9 gpm)

Last edited: