New B2601 or add Woods accessories to B2400

JJM5017

Equipment
B2100, B2400
Jul 20, 2020
Bucks County, Pa
Hello all, I have a buying dilemma that I would really appreciate some feedback on. Currently have a B2100 (1,000 hours and turf tires) with an older BF300a loader. It's been a workhorse for years and very occasionally does some mowing with a 60" belly mower. Recently we bought a second property worthy of a compact tractor and so I also purchased a B2400 (700 hours and turf tires) with the intent to purchase a loader and backhoe for it. For those unfamiliar they are very similar machines and appear to share most if not all accessories. A local dealer quoted me for a Woods BH65 loader and LS84 backhoe for about $12k. If I stick to my original plan I'd have my old faithful B2100 and a new to me B2400 with a Woods setup that on paper does everything I need.

My dilemma comes in since my wonderful wife suggested maybe getting a new one would be a better choice. In that case a B2601 would likely be my best option though I'm not 100% certain.

Long story short do I put $12k into a 22 year old machine knowing that if it doesn't suit my needs in the not-so-distant future I'll be able to sell it without a huge loss or do I go with a new B2601 with the modern bells/whistles for $25-27k (I suppose I'd sell the B2100 in that case without the loader dropping the net cost to about $21-23k).

Some background either property is just about 3 acres without a crazy amount of grade (only a few areas which are dicey for any tractor). I primarily use the loader for household construction projects, driveway maintenance and snow removal. It's also my lawn cart in many situations and I jockey larger trailers around fairly regularly. I have a few 3 point accessories but none see significant use. Backhoe will just be used on household projects and intended to save me 8 hours of hand digging a few times a year when 30 mins with the machine will do (previously I had a full size backhoe and more recently I've rented a mini excavator only when I absolutely have to). Since I suspect the question will be asked (given the limited property sizes) I'm going with the B series over the BX simply because some of the activities I do need the extra lift height (B2100 barely gets over my dump trailer sides as is), ground clearance (we have woods and light water crossings at both properties) or mass (I push the machine admittedly a bit too hard with some of my grading projects). 90% of the time a BX would get the job done but I'm aiming for more capacity compared to my existing B2100 for that other 10%.

If any other information would be helpful just let me know. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I would not invest 12k into a 22 year old tractor. Not that it would not work but what if something breaks or gets worn out. How much longer will you be able to get parts?

Looking on Tractorhouse the B2400 could bring you $4-6,000. Call it $5 + 12 = $17,000 to invest. That will get you in the ballpark of a few low hour TLB.

Without the backhoe there are several new tractors that will work for you.

Last edited:

greg86z28

Equipment
B2601
May 17, 2020
South Central Wisconsin
I didn’t read your whole post

Without question get the new machine if you have the financial means.

I’m a guy who maintains everything myself. Best decisions I’ve made in my life: new truck and new tractor (B2601).

I rely on both of those pieces of equipment way too much to be fixing them constantly when I’ve got projects waiting. With two young boys I don’t have the time I did 5 years ago.

again - that assumes you financially can afford it. Without question the worst mistake people make These days is simplifying their lives when they can’t afford it (New cars, etc)

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
How far apart are the properties?

Maybe you need a trailer instead of another tractor?

A B2100 TLB is small enough to haul around pretty easily.

Of course, a long-distance could be a problem and not practical.

PS - - I wouldn't put $12k in a B2400 either.

Last edited:

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
If budget allowed I would buy new and look to the long term use and benefit. $12K is to much to add to your old tractor.

Reactions: 1 users

bx tractorjoe

Equipment
kubota l2501 upgraded from a bx23s john deere 670 husquarvana huv 4421 gxp
Jun 3, 2020
loxahatchee flordia
Key words.. wife suggests getting a new tractor..

What are you waiting for?? If you drop 12k on a loader and back hoe and the old tractor breaks and you can't do something she wants she might say I told you so..

Plus... it's a new tractor! With 0% financing how can you go wrong if you plan to keep it 6 or 7 years..

My shop still smells like new tires with my new l2501 sitting in it..

Speaking of the l2501 is worth considering.. or the new lx2610

Reactions: 1 users

JJM5017

Equipment
B2100, B2400
Jul 20, 2020
Bucks County, Pa
Thanks everyone for the advice and sound logic. As mentioned the nearly $17k into the 22 year old machine vs. $26ish for a new one makes it pretty simple. Looks like I'm shopping for a new one! Let the research begin. Thanks again.

Reactions: 2 users

alfb

Jul 18, 2020
Loomis, Ca
I didn’t read your whole post

Without question get the new machine if you have the financial means.

I’m a guy who maintains everything myself. Best decisions I’ve made in my life: new truck and new tractor (B2601).

I rely on both of those pieces of equipment way too much to be fixing them constantly when I’ve got projects waiting. With two young boys I don’t have the time I did 5 years ago.

again - that assumes you financially can afford it. Without question the worst mistake people make These days is simplifying their lives when they can’t afford it (New cars, etc)
I just got a new b2601 and I noticed that it squeaked up front by the loader a couple of times out of many when I was doing some loader work. The hydraulic arms seemed really hot too. I used to have an old b1550 that I don't ever remember that happening to. Any thoughts if this is normal?

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I just got a new b2601 and I noticed that it squeaked up front by the loader a couple of times out of many when I was doing some loader work. The hydraulic arms seemed really hot too. I used to have an old b1550 that I don't ever remember that happening to. Any thoughts if this is normal?
My new loader on my BX2350 did that. Till my brother in law suggested it might need greasing. They never greased it when installed - greased all the zerks, all good now.

alfb

Jul 18, 2020
Loomis, Ca
My new loader on my BX2350 did that. Till my brother in law suggested it might need greasing. They never greased it when installed - greased all the zerks, all good now.
Thanks, Looks like they were all greased but maybe I'll add some more grease.

JJM5017

Equipment
B2100, B2400
Jul 20, 2020
Bucks County, Pa
Hello all, just figured I'd circle up and say thanks for all of the recommendations. Ended up going with an LX2610 with the BH77. Great combination and I'll do a quick write-up soon for anyone who's doing the B vs. LX debate that I did over the last few months.

Reactions: 1 user