New B2601 cutting deck

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
Hello , I have now mowed my yard 3 times with my new tractor and have a question. When I am backing up say over a 30 ft area is the mower designed to cut as well then as when moving forward ? Initially it looks good but upon closer inspection the whole job looks kind of inconsistent in height/cut quality. Thanks.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Somebody here can likely give you the reason as to why, but I will say my zero turn is the same way. I believe I know why but....

imnukensc

Equipment
BX2380
Sep 10, 2015
Midlands of SC
No, it won't look as good. When backing up the first thing to hit the grass is the upturned parts of the mower blades which bends the grass over and tears it instead of cutting it. When mowing forward the first thing hitting the grass is the sharpened part of the mower blades.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
No, it won't look as good. When backing up the first thing to hit the grass is the upturned parts of the mower blades which bends the grass over and tears it instead of cutting it. When mowing forward the first thing hitting the grass is the sharpened part of the mower blades.
I Kind of of figured that. I just "retired" my aging Steiner tractor and I had never noticed much of a difference.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I Kind of of figured that. I just "retired" my aging Steiner tractor and I had never noticed much of a difference.
It might have something to do with the level of the mower deck.

In theory (mine only, don't know what the reality is) if the mower deck is perfectly level, it should cut the same in either direction. BUT if say the front is lower slightly with respect to the back, then the cut would be different forward VS backwards.

Solution? Cut only in one direction! LOL. I never claimed to be more than a simpleton!

Reactions: 1 users

Tire Biter

Equipment
B 2601 434 loader MMM, bunch of tractor stuff . Ford 4600
Jul 10, 2012
S.E. TN
I find the wide rear tires lays the grass over before the deck can cut it. kind of like the fronts do going forward only worse.
i‘d like a front mount ground following deck on mine. I can’t use a zero turn, but I like front mounted decks way better.