Never operate mower in transport position

ExL

Jul 4, 2020
NY, USA
The manual for my RC44-42 rotary mower deck says "Never operate mower in transport position."

I need to mow some higher grass in a rough area, and was going to simply raise the deck up with the hydraulic lift, and run the mower. Then I noticed this warning in the manual. There looks like enough clearance around the PTO shaft when at the transport height. I'd like to know if mowing with the deck at transport height will damage anything.

Thanks

Steve67

Equipment
B2601-fel, 60"mmm, 5' rear blade, balast box
Jan 20, 2017
St. Louis, mo.
Been running my belly mower for 3yrs at the raised height, no problems. 60” deck on b2601

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
The manual for my RC44-42 rotary mower deck says "Never operate mower in transport position."

I need to mow some higher grass in a rough area, and was going to simply raise the deck up with the hydraulic lift, and run the mower. Then I noticed this warning in the manual. There looks like enough clearance around the PTO shaft when at the transport height. I'd like to know if mowing with the deck at transport height will damage anything.

Thanks

Thanks
I do so regularly and have been doing so for decades.

As always, be certain that your PTO shaft is properly fitted so as to not bind upon full lift.

SDT

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I think this is a safety issue of potential debris flying in all directions. When the brush hog is in its normal cutting position any debris is normally managed by the safety chains or shields, if you run it at transport height or a raised angle, debris can shoot in all directions including back at the tractor. I run a heavy duty rotary cutter and a disc mulcher on the front of a track loader very often heavy debris will shoot out the front and can travel several hundred feet. Caution can be a good thing!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

freewheel3

Equipment
MX5000DT LA852, BX1800D, B6000DT, B6200HSTD, B7100HSTD, L185, T1700HX, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2013
Alberta
I'm not sure about your particular model, but some Kubota tractors actually have brackets underneath that you pin the deck to in the raised position so that you can still use your 3pt hitch for other implements without having the deck travel up and down.
In my manual they call this the "transport position" and recommend not engage the mower in this position although it does not state why.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Pay attention to your PTO shaft angles when the deck is fully raised, too much of an operating angle puts more stress on the PTO parts. I think that safety is the biggest concern as the blades can throw stuff pretty far from the tractor.

RBA50

Equipment
B2320, LA304 loader (B1658 QA), B2789 snowblower, RCK54-29B MMM, HF quick hitch
Apr 29, 2013
Goldendale, WA
I believe freewheel3 has it right. You can operate a mmm at the fully raised position, but should be sure it is not in the locked (in my case the knob is labeled "TOP") position. Just lower it as normal, then raise it all the way up and go.

ExL

Jul 4, 2020
NY, USA
Thanks to all who shared their experience. Today I mowed with the RC44-42 rotary mower deck raised to the maximum height. It worked great. As Freewheel3 pointed out, the RC44-42 also has a pair of stop brackets to keep the deck elevated while lowering the 3 point hitch. I did not engage the stop brackets while I was mowing.