Need suggestions on removing PTO shaft

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Of course when I went to hook up the pto shaft for my new to me B64 Blizzard snow blower I saw that the shaft was too short. The tractor side looks like a normal 6 spline. The blower side does also but it has a shear bolt and it 'clamps' over the spline from the gearbox. I loosened the two bolts and opened the clamped slot enough to be able to slide the connector about 1/16".
I understand that there has to be something that prevents the shaft from coming off if the shear bolt goes but I just can't see anything. There has to be a way to remove it without fubaring the gearbox.

Any suggestions? The pic is before I removed the shear bolt and really loosened the 2 clamp bolts.

pto shaft implement end  4700042.jpg

tinkerwitheverything

Equipment
bx2370-1
Jun 3, 2015
Manitoba
The squeeze bolt/ or pinch bolt will have to be removed . There is a slot all the way around the splined shaft just like what there is on the tractor. Untill that bolt is removed you can't pull it off the shaft.

Reactions: 3 users

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
The squeeze bolt/ or pinch bolt will have to be removed . There is a slot all the way around the splined shaft just like what there is on the tractor. Untill that bolt is removed you can't pull it off the shaft.
Thank You!

going now to pull them off completely

and done :)
pto shaft implement end - removed 4700042.jpg

Gotta love this site! After doing this, a neuron blinked in my brain. I think many years and 2 tractors ago I had to do this on another implement. Well good for another 2o years now.

Thanks again

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
hahahah. you beat me to it. I was editing the pic for removing the bolt completely...

remove bolt.png

Reactions: 3 users

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
If the pto shaft is too short I would consider adding something like an over run clutch adapter which are much cheaper than a new pto shaft.

Reactions: 1 users

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
If the pto shaft is too short I would consider adding something like an over run clutch adapter which are much cheaper than a new pto shaft.
Bingo! I had just placed an order on Amazon for a complete shaft with clutch pack. Cancelled it and ordered just a clutch pack. That will give me about 4+" of overlap.

Big Thank You!

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Bring the PTO to the tractor dealer and they will match your PTO tubes. You can buy a new set and cut them to fit. Not overly expensive.

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
Bingo! I had just placed an order on Amazon for a complete shaft with clutch pack. Cancelled it and ordered just a clutch pack. That will give me about 4+" of overlap.

Big Thank You!
4" of overlap is not enough. Follow Mikester's advice or buy a new longer shaft.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
Ive read bad things about PTO extenders regarding unbalanced load they can put on PTO drive (no experience with them).

I had to lengthen 7 shafts after my QH. I googled for the nearest "drive shaft shop", and brought the shafts to them whole. They swapped out the shaft stock. Had shafts back in a few days and iirc ~$30 per set. Just another option to consider.

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I wouldn'thtink that at 540 RPM, 'out-of-balance' would be a big issue unlike say a 45,000 RPM turbine.....
BTW my 5'tiller has the same 'shear bolt' connection and that's a fair amount of 'off balanced mass' swinging around... zero issues...

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I wouldn'thtink that at 540 RPM, 'out-of-balance' would be a big issue unlike say a 45,000 RPM turbine.....
BTW my 5'tiller has the same 'shear bolt' connection and that's a fair amount of 'off balanced mass' swinging around... zero issues...
I wasnt referring to shaft balance or your "mass". Maybe I misspoke using the word "balance" :rolleyes: Point was, if you search, you will find where cheap PTO extenders can put uneven load on the PTO drive. It's cheap and easy to replace the shaft stock to the correct length without the use of additional things on the drive line.

* again though, i have no experience with PTO extenders, just what I searched when trying to sort out my own issue similar to CT's

Last edited:

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
I use a pto extender, I got the qh05 after having all my implements. it was the perfect length. Haven’t noticed any issues with the mower, or the tiller, I test fit it on the snow blower but haven’t used it yet since purchasing.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Saw a recent video on TTWT regarding PTO extender he used on his LX3310. He had issues where it actually took out the PTO shaft seal. I believe it was a result of Kubota's PTO output shaft being just a tad too short.

video is here...

ACDII

Equipment
B2410, L352 Loader, Woods BH70-X backhoe
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
That above was due to implement not having a normal compact type PTO, and meant more for Utility tractors, which Tim did say was the case. It was sort of like the PTO pump on my backhoe, only much bigger with a weird looking connection, that rubbed against the seal.

I also had issue with a short shaft using a QH. I sized it up for the 3PH before getting the QH, then the shaft was a bit too short. It would still work, but had 4" of length between shafts. I did find an extender that has the connection for the PTO and connected that to the tractor then the PTO from the tiller to that, and worked like a charm. It made up for the difference the QH set the tiller back from the tractor.

Now if you don't have enough shaft without the QH, you need a new PTO shaft, an extender wont help.

This is what I have Not easy to find in most stores, and not cheap either.

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
Just put the blower on as its supposed to start snowing tonight. Here is a pic of the extender Installed.

B756C7ED-6A31-4D74-A937-201808CB20F3.jpeg

ACDII

Equipment
B2410, L352 Loader, Woods BH70-X backhoe
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
Tip for that style, put some never seize inside the pin, they are notorious for getting very stiff when water sits in them for a while. The sleeve type I got is less likely to do that. My KK 6' finish mower has the pin style and man, the first time I go to put it on in the spring I have to beat on it to get it to move. Thats WITH never seize!

Since that is removable from both the tractor and implement, when done plowing, take it off and blast it with WD 40, work the pin several times to get the water out, and let it dry.

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
Tip for that style, put some never seize inside the pin, they are notorious for getting very stiff when water sits in them for a while. The sleeve type I got is less likely to do that. My KK 6' finish mower has the pin style and man, the first time I go to put it on in the spring I have to beat on it to get it to move. Thats WITH never seize!

Since that is removable from both the tractor and implement, when done plowing, take it off and blast it with WD 40, work the pin several times to get the water out, and let it dry.
I did spray the pin down, I also coat the female sides with grease Every time I take it off. My machine doesn’t look too clean but I do clean every pin etc and re grease before putting back together.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Ok, I bow to the knowledge base here :)
I did get in a shaft extension but after looking at the actual amount of overlap I would get on the shafts I decided not to use it.
New shaft with shear bolt on implement end:
new pto shaft.jpg

new pto shaft on L3800.jpg

I had to cut 3-1/2 inches off it but I feel a whole lot more comfortable with the load of overlap now.
I always have that nervous feeling when all is attached and I raise and lower it (very slowly) to be sure there is no binding.