Need image of chain installation for a FHM FH-TL105 tiller

SpokaneDude

Equipment
BX2350, FM 125 tiller, Land Pride blade, BotaProducts fuel & HST filter mods
Oct 24, 2020
Spokane, WA
Hello... I purchased the above tiller from Betstco (big mistake!) and less than 8 hours of use, the chain broke. I contacted the seller, but so far, no cooperation, even tho' it's fully covered under warranty. They did send me a new chain and gasket, but didn't take measures to ensure the gasket would not be damaged.. it was damaged beyond repair and is not usable.

So, I decided to attempt to fix it myself. The so-called Manual that was sent with this tiller is NOT for this model, so when attempting to put it back together, there is NO image or parts diagram for the spring that goes on the idler arm. IMG_0320.png IMG_0321.png The images show the spring I am concerned about; what do I do with the long part on the end of the spring? Sorry for the images; they are better if you look at the full size. (this is the first time working with images on this forum)... Thanks in advance..

Last edited:

SpokaneDude

Equipment
Oct 24, 2020
Spokane, WA
Do u mean use tape to keep it on the idler arm? Sorry, but the whole thing is sitting in an oil-bath which comes up to the middle of the idler arm... Thanks for the response...

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Matt's got the right idea,one of those 'shoulda taken pictures BEFORE i tore it apart' deals. BTDT. I'm assuming the holeup/left of the coil of the spring is for the cover ?
Once you have tension, then spry the chain with a 'rustcheck' type 'oil'.

SpokaneDude

Equipment
Oct 24, 2020
Spokane, WA
Ahhh.... that makes more sense... I'll try it tomorrow; hope I don't break the spring, because the seller is not too helpful.

SpokaneDude

Equipment
Oct 24, 2020
Spokane, WA
Matt's got the right idea,one of those 'shoulda taken pictures BEFORE i tore it apart' deals. BTDT. I'm assuming the holeup/left of the coil of the spring is for the cover ?
Once you have tension, then spry the chain with a 'rustcheck' type 'oil'.
When I took the cover off, the chain and spring landed on the floor... that should give you some idea of what I'm working with! yes, the hole is for the cover, I think... I would think so because there is NO bend in that leg of the spring, which I would expect if it was made correctly. I'll verify that tomorrow,...

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Actually, you may have more luck to install the spring first. Take the cotter pin out of the idler arm, and flex the spring with the idler arm with the long straight part against the pivot for the idler. Matt is right about where it goes, though. That end of the spring should be too long to bypass the idler pivot under full tension. Gonna be a bear to try to put it on with the pivot installed.

That arrangement is very similar to the timing chain on a Ford 302 engine. Basic procedure is put the chain on first, then the spring, then the pivot taking tension on the spring as you install the pivot. I don't think you'll get it past the pivot post otherwise.

You COULD put the pivot on first, then tie it back until you get the chain on, then release it against the chain.

Not sure I like that arrangement, the chain dragging against that pivot. Sorta cheap to not put another small sprocket on that arm to tension the chain. I'm thinking a Betsco tiller may not be in my future now that I've seen the innerds.

SpokaneDude

Equipment
Oct 24, 2020
Spokane, WA
Actually, you may have more luck to install the spring first. Take the cotter pin out of the idler arm, and flex the spring with the idler arm with the long straight part against the pivot for the idler. Matt is right about where it goes, though. That end of the spring should be too long to bypass the idler pivot under full tension. Gonna be a bear to try to put it on with the pivot installed.

That arrangement is very similar to the timing chain on a Ford 302 engine. Basic procedure is put the chain on first, then the spring, then the pivot taking tension on the spring as you install the pivot. I don't think you'll get it past the pivot post otherwise.

You COULD put the pivot on first, then tie it back until you get the chain on, then release it against the chain.

Not sure I like that arrangement, the chain dragging against that pivot. Sorta cheap to not put another small sprocket on that arm to tension the chain. I'm thinking a Betsco tiller may not be in my future now that I've seen the innerds.
I'll work with it tomorrow; your idea sounds good, just hope it works... regarding a Betstco tiller, I would NEVER, EVER purchase this again... I almost went for the Land Pride, but it was a bit more expensive, and at the time I couldn't justify it... what's that saying? "lesson learned" and "you get what you pay for". One thing I also didn't do was check with BBB.. should have, that would also have changed my mind regarding their warranty service.

Thanks for the response... hope it works!

SpokaneDude

Equipment
Oct 24, 2020
Spokane, WA

SpokaneDude

Equipment
Oct 24, 2020
Spokane, WA
Thanks everyone for your suggestions... I followed them and the spring finally got installed thanks to Matt and Old_Paint!

Now, I'm just waiting for the gasket... talked to Rocky at the parts dept and he promised he would send it out yesterday... we'll see...

Attached is an image of the spring installed... any questions, just ask...

Attachments

Last edited:

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Thanks everyone for your suggestions... I followed them and the spring finally got installed thanks to Matt and Old_Paint!

Now, I'm just waiting for the gasket... talked to Rocky at the parts dept and he promised he would send it out yesterday... we'll see...
Excellent! Glad I could help.

Also, post an installed pic, maybe it will help someone later on.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Glad you got it going your way. I couldn't tell how much clearance there was between the idler arm and the wall of the machine, otherwise, I might have suggested using a good spring hook to pull the bent end of the spring behind the idler and let it hook on, much the same way as installing springs on old drum brakes. If anything I suggested helped, even better. I hate to see someone struggle with something that's too far away for me to just drive over and lend a hand. I was taught to help folks out best possible, even if it was nothing but holding a flashlight while they worked.

SpokaneDude

Equipment
Oct 24, 2020
Spokane, WA
Excellent! Glad I could help.

Also, post an installed pic, maybe it will help someone later on.
Thanks to both you and Old_Paint... couldn't have done it without your input... I hope this helps someone else who is in the same position I was... the seller's staff were worthless except for the Parts Man (Rocky) who seems to be the only one in that company that knows what's going on...