Need help with older B20. Thanks.

TX-Trav

Equipment
Kubota B20
Sep 24, 2020
Kerrville TX
Hey folks. My mechanic friend resurrected my B20 today. I recently acquired it and it had not run for years...
I drove it for 15 minutes and fluid started spraying out of this nozel. I can't tell what the fluid is.
What is this nozel? What kind of fluid is it? Why did this happen?
Also, any info on this tractor would be helpful.
I have no idea what the levers do, the manual I found online does not match my tractor.
Thank you so much for the help.
Travis

20200924_164049.jpg
20200924_170536.jpg
20200924_173842.jpg

gadoaus

Equipment
kubota U45-3 excavator.
Mar 28, 2019
Buln Buln east Vic. Australia
Looks like the Oil blow buy from the valve cover. Normally has a hose on it hanging down near the sump. Later models recycle thru the air inlet to assist in pollution reduction. Hope this Helps.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Gadoaus nailed it - this blow-by is from rings allowing combustion to go around them and the pressure being released through the valve cover. IF you have any moisture in the oil, the oil will heat up and "steam" will come out too.

Have you changed the oil? Oil that sat for years would have collected moisture - and this would steam out once it got hot - Plus all the combustion gases blowing by mixed with making an oily film.

I would change the oil and see if anything is in that oil, look to see if it is milky too.

As a matter of fact - I would change every oil in that machine and all appropriate filters.

here is info on your machine:

http://www.tractordata.com/backhoe-loader/000/1/3/130-kubota-b20.html

TX-Trav

Equipment
Kubota B20
Sep 24, 2020
Kerrville TX
Gadoaus nailed it - this blow-by is from rings allowing combustion to go around them and the pressure being released through the valve cover. IF you have any moisture in the oil, the oil will heat up and "steam" will come out too.

Have you changed the oil? Oil that sat for years would have collected moisture - and this would steam out once it got hot - Plus all the combustion gases blowing by mixed with making an oily film.

I would change the oil and see if anything is in that oil, look to see if it is milky too.

As a matter of fact - I would change every oil in that machine and all appropriate filters.

here is info on your machine:

http://www.tractordata.com/backhoe-loader/000/1/3/130-kubota-b20.html
Thank you for the reply.
Yes sir, my mechanic friend changed all the oils before we ran it.
The new oil does have moisture.
Do you think this is residual from the engine sitting so long? How do I get the moisture out? Just keep changing the oil?

-Travis

TX-Trav

Equipment
Kubota B20
Sep 24, 2020
Kerrville TX
Looks like the Oil blow buy from the valve cover. Normally has a hose on it hanging down near the sump. Later models recycle thru the air inlet to assist in pollution reduction. Hope this Helps.
Yes it helps. Thank you.
This tractor sat for a long time. My mechanic buddy changed all the oils plus battery and got it running.
The new oil is now milky.
What do I do to get the oil out of the motor?

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
If you changed the engine oil and it is already milky that is a bit troublesome. It is indicative of some failure between the cooling circuit and the oil circuit.

I would change it again and see what it looks like after running for a little bit. Keep the old oil and put it into glass bottles to see what separates out of it. That may take a few days.

You should look into the radiator and see if there is any oily films or indicator that oil is in the water.

There may be test kits available to determine if the fluid has water (for oil) or combustion gases (for coolant) in it. You may have a blown head gasket or cracked head.

By the way, it is odd that the tractor model is on the front end loader. Normally that designation is on the tractor hood. Your tractor looks like pictures on the internet of a B20 and I don’t think they would make a loader with the same designation as a tractor so I just put this in as a comment on being odd. Do you have any idea if that was the normal way Kubota did that?