Need help in Pennsylvania

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
With the current freak show characters running the commonwealth, one should expect anything. Here's an example of just how goofy things are getting. What’s next? Maybe I don’t want to know. Pennsylvania will be requiring vendors to utilize 26% “participation” of minority businesses in many cases. On the surface it sounds like a nice thing to do.

Minority participation has been a part of doing business in Pennsylvania as long as I remember, but it has done very little to improve the viability of the minority businesses. The first time I heard of minority business participation was in the mid-70’s. I was in an office with a purchasing agent and another man stepped into the office, handed him an order, and informed the agent that he should “make this order chocolate”. When I asked what that was all about, I was told that it meant the order for that material needed to be placed through a supplier who was an approved minority business to satisfy a PA contract minority requirement. That minority business never touched the material. He had no employees to benefit from the order, and was party to a joint check agreement because he couldn’t be trusted. One guy got paid for simply being a minority. How do minority businesses become “approved” by PA?

In 1981 I was finishing a construction project on a large site while a minority contractor was beginning a new building in another area. They asked if we’d be interested in working for them as a subcontractor, so I met with their project manager. When I asked about the minority classification of the firm, he pointed out a black man walking around the project. Essentially, that guy was the “owner” and was given a hardhat and tape measure and told to walk around the project and not get in the way. Maybe not the intent of the law?

Nearly all the minority businesses I’ve seen involved in construction projects have either failed to perform, gone bankrupt, couldn’t get the required bonding or had some other difficulty that caused problems to those who hired them on.

Now the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania will be mandating a 26% “participation” of Small Diverse Businesses. That list on the Department of General Services reads:

“disadvantaged business status (e.g., race/ethnicity, gender, veteran, disabled, and LGBT) of ownership.”

Helping people is a noble idea. Giving veterans a hand and making reasonable accommodations for handicapped people is only right. It is a complete mystery to me how the other groups made the list. They must have some effective connections. With misguided legislation we will be helping a few individuals who are clever enough to work the system.

It’s time for someone to hit the RESET button and start over. Lowering the bar for people is what got us into the situation in which we find ourselves. The desire to make them winners without improving their lot continues to produce losers. Efforts should be made to educate and train people so they can be brought on board as true participants. We’ve been forced to put people into positions they are not qualified to fill for over 50 years and it has not worked.

https://www.dgs.pa.gov/Small Divers...cuments/Taking Action Against Disparities.pdf

https://www.dgs.pa.gov/Small Divers...erse-Business-Verification/Pages/default.aspx

Reactions: 1 user

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
...and it won't work now either. Every 'minority' construction project I've seen around here on ly has the 'token' minority management and everything is subbed to qualified subs.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I keep reminding myself that Politicians are like the Alphabet government agencies. All living in a make believe world and forcing real people to adhere to their fantasy rules and regulations.

Sort of like Tier 4 final.

Reactions: 1 user

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
And I wonder what PA paid BBC Research and Development to do the study. I don't know why we have full-time government workers when all they do is hire consulting firms to do their work.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
You'll find companies who have women owners so they qualify for minority jobs. The women are often only names on the paper, and wife of the man bidding, managing, etc.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Chim - if it makes you feel "better," I think our Governator dictated 33% M/WBE participation several years ago.....nearly impossible in our rural upstate area....

Again, I'm recalling...the area is always so short on the %, so it's almost a non-issue.

As 'Cat said, most of the WBE-compliant companies I know of are simply on paper.......

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
IM sure a lot of farmers would like 26% more help since most of them are in the minority in America now

mattwithcats

Jun 17, 2017
Virginia
Congresswoman Tammy Duckworth shreds a business owner who claimed he was a ”disabled veteran“, to get preferential treatment in contract awards...

He actually twisted his ankle in High School (I think it was a military prep school)...

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I was going through one of those fun EEOC audits a few years ago and the question was asked why we didn't have more minorities working at the company? I pointed out the number of women we had working and the interviewer said, no I'm talking real minorities. I asked for a definition (already knew what the lady, who was African American, was going for) who stated African Americans. I asked so that women, Native Americans, and the Asian Americans don't count? She gave me an angry look and told me we were going to fail the audit. I then produced the documentation from our law firm that showed we had exceeded all hiring standards and that we had taken steps with the halls that we work with showing that we were wanting to hire minorities that were trained for the jobs that we called out for. She got huffy and wanted to know if we had done all this why we didn't have more African Americans working for us?

My big mouth gets me in trouble, but I said in my opinion it appears that most African Americans would much rather go work for the government in cushy jobs where they don't have to do anything verses manual labor jobs we hire for.

That brought the audit to an end. I got a letter requiring a bunch of hiring data and policies had to be submitted, but in the end, we passed the audit.

I don't mind honest audits, but I hate politically driven audits.