Need help finding new lawn mower

burgermeister

Apr 14, 2021
Blue Bell, PA
I need a new lawn mower since our grass is getting high and our Craftzman LT2000 with a briggs engine is not gonna do it again. The engine is apart and I just want the thing gone for all the trouble its been.

I found a couple kubs online, and need some input on them as well as some of my questions answered.

The first one I found is a G5200 of unknown year. It has 736 hours on it and appears to be in fine condition for its age. Not much rust and the guy even bolted a bigger board onto the plow. The cutting deck also appears to be dirty, but not rusted. It would benefit from a new coat of paint.
Is the price ok? I think it is though I don't know much about these things aside from what I can see and read.
Also, would this be fitting for me? I see that most of the people who have one of these own acres upon acres of land. I only have .6 acres, so would this be overkill? Also, would my neighbors hate me for how loud it is?
I don't have a garage and my shed isn't gonna fit it so would it be fine if it is under a tree with a cover?

If that is too insane, I found a smaller one looking more like the Craftzman I have now. It is a T1770 and it has a Kohler V Twin which I can assume is more reliable than a briggs and stratton.
I don't have many questions for this one.

Which should I buy, if either?

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Either is a lot of machine for 0.6 acre. But I have 1 acre and a B2601, so who am I to talk. Diesel isn't in my experience louder than gas - in fact quieter usually. They also are usually more reliable - i.e. give much less trouble in an old machine. I'd lean towards the diesel for that reason. But most people would tell you that if you're only mowing a zero turn is really the way to go.

bx tractorjoe

Equipment
kubota l2501 upgraded from a bx23s john deere 670 husquarvana huv 4421 gxp
Jun 3, 2020
loxahatchee flordia
Out of the 2 I would pick the g 5200 being its diesel and is about as good as a garden tractor can be.. the other one I don't have any experience with, but probably a better machine then anything ayp makes with is what most big box store mowers are with different names, but still has the typical kohler mower engine.

Make sure the seller puts the mower on and can demonstrate it working and it does not sound like any bearings are bad. if he gives you some excuse I would not buy it.. fixing a pto, gear box, or finding deck attachment peices are $$$ and can easily double that 1200 if you have pto issues

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
I have owned T1400 and T1460 tractors for past 5 years, both were well used and under $500.
Kawasaki gassers, HST, 40-42 inch decks. Pretty trouble free.
No experience with the small diesels

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: it has a Kohler V Twin which I can assume is more reliable than a briggs and stratton.

BAD assumption !! Some Kohlers have PLASTIC camshaft gears...found THAT out, one day. Also a 'series' of Kohlers are infamous for creating 'inspection' holes in the crankcases. 2 bolts vibrate loose(no locktite), oil weeps(gushes) out, kaBLAM....

B&S twins NEED to have valve set every year or so ( hard starting..) people will buy new battery, new starter, etc...when really they just need to set the valves,as per the B&S memo...

Was told by my friendly Kubota dealer,NOT to buy a diesel 'lawn mower'. too much $$$ for a silly grass cutter. I'm still using a 20-25 year old MTD ,repowered with a B&S Vanguard Vtwin 14hp. Decks fine, ONLY cut grass after 2PM, when it's DRY. My riding snowblower 20+ year old Craftsman, B&S powered, starts,runs, blows snow.....yeah rough around the edges but would be 5K to replace today....

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 w/ 60" MMM, LP 72" Snow Plow, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, and Woods 60" BB
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
I owned a Deere X585 previously and the Kawasaki gas engines are pretty bullet proof. Many reports of folks getting 2,000+ hours on them.

Reactions: 1 users

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
I owned a Deere X585 previously and the Kawasaki gas engines are pretty bullet proof. Many reports of folks getting 2,000+ hours on them.
Good advice, the Kawasaki gas engine can't be beat.

Reactions: 1 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Just a note. Some Kawasaki engines also had a plastic camshaft gear, and they typically give up at around 700 HRS. (The replacement is steel!)

Reactions: 1 user

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I don’t ”do” facebook and so when I click on your adverts ... Facebook intervenes and wants me to jump thru hoops, register, give them my first male grandchild, etc, ...and I ain’t doin’ that..... so I can’t see the prices or much of anything In the ad. (Also, I’m surprised anyone would provide a link to anything they wanted to purchase.... seems like you‘re inviting someone else to beat you to it.... if you’re not actually the seller yourself and simply casting-about for more views of your ads...)

...but anyway..... if all you are going to do is mow.... then Yes! Zero-Turn is the way to go.

As for lawn “tractors” in general: I and my buddies have owned allmost all types and the Kohlers are not necessarily “better” than B&S. It depends whether apples are being compared to apples.... if “commercial-use” versions of those engines are being compared to “loss-leader” engines. Personally, I have always had long and dependable service from B&S and parts/service is readily available and inexpensive ...although I‘ve never had any trouble with them other than old/stale gas ruining carburetors. (So I avoid that by using Avgas or fuel-stabilizer in them.)

The earlier advice about AYP-produced “store brands” can be applied also to MTD and Murray products. The underside/blades/etc and how well it cuts/discharges cuttings is more important to me than which gasoline engine is mounted. Get the seller to DEMONSTRATE the mower before you buy it, IMO.

(owner of 12 year old Craftsman 1500 hydrostatic lawn tractor with 18hp B&S which is strong and 48” mower-deck which sucks at clean cuts/discharging.)

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Just a note. Some Kawasaki engines also had a plastic camshaft gear, and they typically give up at around 700 HRS. (The replacement is steel!)
Thanks D2, didn't know that but still a better choice IMHO.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
at least one series of Kawis you couldn't replace the valve seats.....esp after they magically 'dismounted' themselves and destroyed the engine......$$$$$$.. sigh...

also if you go with a bagger GET 'high lift' blades !!! While baggers fit any deck, they do NOT work withouth HIGH lift blades.....

bx tractorjoe

Equipment
kubota l2501 upgraded from a bx23s john deere 670 husquarvana huv 4421 gxp
Jun 3, 2020
loxahatchee flordia
Majority of new briggs engines are now made in china! Kawasaki engines are usually great, although I'd stay away from the fuel injection on them.and the kohler engines, work great till they dont..

I have a scag zero turn with a Kawasaki engine (60 hours), craftsman with a vowing kohler( 130 hours)that I just did a valve adjustment on, didn't need it, exhaust was a it tight..

And my bx2200 for mowing the big open areas of about 2 acres. as long as you run the diesel long enough to get it up to temp and but a good load on it they.are great.