Need a Box Blade in Spring - Rent while waiting for EA?

mtdave

Equipment
L4060HSTC
Jan 3, 2022
Michigan
Hello, I'm awaiting delivery of a new tractor sometime in the next month and have a need for a box blade to use in the spring on my property to prepare an area for a building and convert a muddy mess into a gravel driveway. I'll have a continued need for the box blade to maintain the driveway. I'm favoring a EA box blade but their wait is 5 months, possibly more. I can get a Land Pride unit from my dealer's stock, but it is significantly more expensive and doesn't appear to be a well built as the EA (Please correct me if this is the wrong assumption). Has anyone been in this situation before? Are implements like box blades something that can be rented? I'm in the UP of Michigan, so rental yards are limited.

Just looking for ideas, go easy on me!

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Hello, I'm awaiting delivery of a new tractor sometime in the next month and have a need for a box blade to use in the spring on my property to prepare an area for a building and convert a muddy mess into a gravel driveway. I'll have a continued need for the box blade to maintain the driveway. I'm favoring a EA box blade but their wait is 5 months, possibly more. I can get a Land Pride unit from my dealer's stock, but it is significantly more expensive and doesn't appear to be a well built as the EA (Please correct me if this is the wrong assumption). Has anyone been in this situation before? Are implements like box blades something that can be rented? I'm in the UP of Michigan, so rental yards are limited.

Just looking for ideas, go easy on me!
You might have to drive South a bit, but there are 44 Blaine's Farm & Fleet stores somewhat South of you.
Nearest one may be in Jackson, MI.

Blaine's Farm & Fleet has King Kutter 72" box blades for $999, and they are decent quality.
I have owned one for 10 years, and many others also recommend KK box blades.

The 72" EA box blade is $1195, so the KK is $200 less, and there is likely no wait for the KK from Blaine's.
I LOVE EA stuff, but box blades are not hi-tech stuff, and with good reviews, the KK box blades apparently do a good job for all who buy them.

Blaine's will ship a box blade to you from their Janesville, WI., warehouse, if you desire.
I have found their shipping charges to be very fair.

I have found Blaine's to be a good company to deal with.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
Yes they are rented down here... depends on your area, I guess. I've loaned my out twice (pretty hard to screw one up) so any neighbors got one you can borrow?

You still have some time, watch Craig's List or FB market place, for used ones for sale...

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I’m not lobbying for any manufacturer/supplier. I will say there are some options that are likely important to efficiency for commercial operators such as a swinging rear gate and hydraulic controlled rippers. For non-commercial use I’d opine those features probably aren’t worth the additional cost. For something like a grapple or tiller or snow blower or something else more complex, I’d pay a lot more attention to manufacturer. A boxblade is pretty hard to screw up.

I have a quite basic BB1572 Landpride. I like it but I’m well aware it isn’t the top tier even in the Landpride line. Hydraulic toplink and sidelink (which improve function of numerous implements) do a lot more for its functionality than the swankier features on the fancier boxblades. And although it is a very basic no frills implement it allowed me to take our little private road from a neglected W shaped, grass in the middle, silted in ditches, starting to wash out, no maintenance in 30 years mess to the pic below and I didn’t have the hydraulic top and side links when I did it. I suspect about any boxblade will do what you describe.
AEC4456C-6ECA-4200-B5C3-918A5B89183B.jpeg

OntheRidge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L47 TLB, Homestead 55" grapple, LP 1684 rear blade, WR Long 84" snowplow
Nov 1, 2020
I got one of these last summer, fantastic quality, 1/2" steel vs 3/8', 10% military discount. Very pleased with the product. Good Luck!

Tarmy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800, BH76A, FEL,box scraper
Nov 17, 2009
Lake Almanor, Ca
Make you a great deal on a once used Land Pride…if you can figure out how to get it from here to there! 60”
37D3A7AF-94E8-45C8-A81F-56530B4083D3.jpeg

mtdave

Equipment
L4060HSTC
Jan 3, 2022
Michigan
I got one of these last summer, fantastic quality, 1/2" steel vs 3/8', 10% military discount. Very pleased with the product. Good Luck!
That looks like a nice blade. Thanks for sharing, their lead times are reasonable. I don't qualify for the military discount, but if you do; thank you for all you did to defend our great country.

MattN03

Equipment
2011 B3200, LA504 FEL w/B2366 SSQA conversion, BH76 BH, EA Wicked 55
Sep 5, 2016
KY
I bought a box blade off Craigslist probably 5 years ago for occasional use around the house. Find one like that while you wait on your EA and sell it when you don't need it anymore.

dieselbob69

Equipment
Kubota BX2380 (previously a BX1870 and GR2100)...
Jan 2, 2022
WNY
I reserved a 4' Land Pride one at my dealer( in stock, but waiting for a snow pusher to come in). Tractor Supply has them, but it was about $250 more than what I'm getting mine for. He had an orange or tan colored Land Pride 4' one at the old price, so I'm getting the orange one...

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
Unless you're trying to pull out stumps or boulders, just about any box blade will work fine. If you can get one local, dont worry about it.

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
Not sure if you have one near you but Sunbelt rentals has box blades for rent in lower Michigan for $49 a day and $135 for a week. I believe it's Frontier brand that they rent. I don't have a use for a box blade but one of my Daughters just bought a house that needs a driveway. Was going to rent one this spring to put in a drive for them. I just don't want to bother with storing something that I don't have a use for around my place...

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I wouldn't rent a box blade if you plan to keep using it for driveway maintenance, etc. It just costs too much. I think you'd be better off buying the local available from stock which should save you shipping charges and the wait. Also, the local implement might not be available very much longer, so make up your mind as soon as you can.

A lot of ground implements can do similar work. I wouldn't give up my Grader Scraper for gravel road maintenance, and I have a rear blade for snow and cutting ditches.

I only have Land Pride implements, and other than having bolts back out, I haven't had any issues with them in my past year. YMMV. Maybe EAs would have been better or maybe it wouldn't have mattered.

Weight matters in the rear since you won't normally have ground force other than the weight of the implement. I wouldn't get the lightest box blade although you can't go the heaviest possible without making sure it won't overload the rear of your tractor.

mtdave

Equipment
L4060HSTC
Jan 3, 2022
Michigan
I want to thank everyone for the ideas and opinions. I'll keep my eyes open for something used and if nothing worth while turns up, I'll pick up a King Kutter from Blaine's as spring gets closer.

Tim Horton

Mar 22, 2018
Lake Superior
It has been 3 (?) years ago now.. But I got a 5' box blade from our local auto, farm store when it was on a weekly flyer special.. Yes.. It is China made,.. Not a name brand.. Not the "correct" color out of the box.. Not the best condition of many brands.. But for what it is made to do, it does what is needed well... Function being more important than any other criteria to me..

I can change the color, if I thought that was important... And it was much cheaper by the unit, or by the pound of materal than any other option in this area... And it was easily available....

58Ford

Equipment
BX23s, LA340, BT603, RCR1248, PFL1242, STB1072
Jan 1, 2022
SW Washington
Hey Tim, glad it worked out for you personally, I try to go domestic made whenever possible. In my business, my personal life and my 5 acres.

I am hoping more of my countrymen do the same. I have no say what happens in .CA but coming from Aus I think I understand. In Aus the boat had sailed so long ago there was no recovery but maybe you guys?

• Love

bbxlr8

Equipment
L2501 w/R14s, LA525, BH77, SGC0660, CL 5' BB, CL PHD, WG24 + Ford 1210 60" mmm,
Mar 29, 2021
Eastern PA
After I got my tractor, I thought I could make due w/o one. Not a chance in h@II! I was happy to buy used but none available at anything close to a deal in this era around here.

I then went with the TSC Countyline which is a Tarter made in KY. Not as good as some but does the job for me at a decent price point