NCAA

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
I was watching the NCAA basketball this weekend and it dawned on me... Why do we need the NCAA anymore?

At one point they enforced a bunch of rules dealing with folks getting paid under the table, or getting special treatment. Now they are allowed to be paid and get special treatment so why do we need the NCAA anymore? Just curious to hear what other may think.

Reactions: 1 user

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Like many things, it’s really all about money. The NCAA acts as sort of a co-op for colleges to negotiate contracts for rights to athletics for various media, arrange tournaments, arrange regular season schedules, keep the membership in line, coordinate the group admin chores, collect money, and distribute it back to the members. Enforcement of specific rules for specific sports is still all about what generates the most revenue.

As an example, if they have too many one and done or skip college completely basketball players, they work with the NBA to craft rules to force or entice players to make money for the colleges before making big money for themselves in the NBA. If that requires allowing players to retain the rights to their own image for marketing and endorsement purposes, that’s just how it is.

Not saying college athletics are evil or unethical. They provide an opportunity for higher education for many who otherwise couldn’t afford it. I do think it’s unrealistic to see the NCAA as anything other than a money machine for colleges.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Paying college players ANYTHING other than a small sum - like couple hundred a month will ruin college sports as have the "transfer portal" - any college player can go from one school to another now - any time the wish.

It is ALLLLLLLLL about money - the smaller schools will never be great due to the larger ones that have more backing.

It all boil down to the mighty buck.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
I do think it’s unrealistic to see the NCAA as anything other than a money machine for colleges.
Thats exactly why I think they serve no real purpose for the student/athlete. I agree with your assessment.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I played baseball.

paying college players is not new, and that's all I'm gonna say.

I personally don't see a big deal in college sports. People act like it's the greatest thing ever. Or maybe it is. I dunno. I did my stint and went on with life despite what the bigs and "everyone else" wanted.