My turn to cry

jdl25

Equipment
L185
May 7, 2014
Wendell NC
So I took a side job of Bush hogging about 5 acres. I had done a nice job in a few hours when the clutch in my Kubota L2650 made a noise (like I sheared a bolt) except the clutch stayed engaged and it was obviously burning. Dagummit something inside broke. So tomorrow I get to load a disabled tractor on the trailer and begin getting mentally prepared to split a tractor after Christmas.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
and begin getting mentally prepared to split a tractor
I feel for you, and know exactly where you're coming from.
My old B7100 is going to need a clutch in the foreseeable future. I know it will be a pain to split it, but before I can split it, I have to remove the FEL subframe. But before I can remove that, I have to remove the FEL. But before I can remove that, I have to remove the backhoe subframe. But before I can remove that, I have to remove the backhoe.
Sigh.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Nothing beats the smell of a cooking clutch. Been there and did that before. Not any more, don't have a clutch on either Kubota.

Reactions: 1 user

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
So I took a side job of Bush hogging about 5 acres. I had done a nice job in a few hours when the clutch in my Kubota L2650 made a noise (like I sheared a bolt) except the clutch stayed engaged and it was obviously burning. Dagummit something inside broke. So tomorrow I get to load a disabled tractor on the trailer and begin getting mentally prepared to split a tractor after Christmas.

Just curious how many hours?

jdl25

Equipment
L185
May 7, 2014
Wendell NC
I feel for you, and know exactly where you're coming from.
My old B7100 is going to need a clutch in the foreseeable future. I know it will be a pain to split it, but before I can split it, I have to remove the FEL subframe. But before I can remove that, I have to remove the FEL. But before I can remove that, I have to remove the backhoe subframe. But before I can remove that, I have to remove the backhoe.
Sigh.
I can have the fel and sub frame off in an hour I think. I don't have a back hoe.

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
Loose clutch pedal, possibly bent pressure plate fingers? If its still stiff the clutch disk probably came apart. Split either way...

Last edited:

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
2700....edit to add the clutch felt great. I'm fairly certain something broke in the clutch assembly.
There are two dozen things that could have failed. You will just have to separate the tractor and inspect everything.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Beats the last tractor I split. 18 hours on it. L3901DT with a loader and back ho. Destroyed clutch and boy did it EVER stink. I mean it was so bad that I had to put both halves of the tractor outside while I was waiting on parts to arrive. It would take your breath away and later on make you puke. Ate up the flywheel and all. Yeah the owner was PO'd about it but they don't cover clutch wear unless some kind of defect is proven to have caused it (very very rare). 2700 hours is well beyond the useful life and you've done extremely well!

what a lot of folks don't understand when I had to do clutches on "low hour" tractors was that 100% of them had a loader on a gear drive. Owner gets mad cause it ain't warranty (99% of the time) and they start complaining saying well there's gotta be something wrong I drive 18 wheelers for a living so I know how to drive a manual. Yes so do I but even on my little turd tractor, I find myself driving it into a pile of gravel/dirt/sand/whatever with my left foot on the clutch pedal, slipping it while going into and lifting. Generates heat and wear. Some guys just ride the slippage and wonder why the clutch is ate up, like the 18 hour example above. Then they all say well my god it's only got 18 hours on it and I ain't even used the loader....yet....you go look at the loader, the bucket has a halfhearted attempt at a welded cutting edge (boogers all over the place), and was spray painted with some junk TSC "kubota orange" paint that is not the correct color...I mean come on people we weren't born yesterday.

But yeah that's awesome, 2700 hours out of a clutch. The way it should be. Hate that you gotta do it this time of year but if there's any silver lining, at least its an easy tractor to work on. And hey if the in-laws are coming for Christmas, it might give you an excuse to get out of their hair for a while ;)

Reactions: 4 users

jdl25

Equipment
L185
May 7, 2014
Wendell NC
I'll tackle it after Christmas, no pressing tractor jobs on the horizon! I appreciate the words of encouragement and I'll update the thread as I go.