My L4760 impressions thread

fishpick

Equipment
BX24 & L4760HSTC
Dec 16, 2017
The High Taxes part of lovely NY, USA
I have been a long time member over on TBN (same username) but only recently found and joined OTT... Kinda figured I should join here since I just moved to an "all orange household"...
I did a Mustang build thread on SVTP and people found it useful as time went on being able to see all the impressions / work / changes one person made on one car... (and I have more to add to it this spring) - but I thought - why not do the same sort of thing with my new L4760. I know a lot of people research the heck out of a purchase like this and different things make or break the deal - so I figured sharing my perspective would be useful for others (at least I hope it is)!

I don't want to fully rehash my other post over there - so I'm going to bullet things here. (note I traded my 2004 TC45DA, so many comparisons are because of so many hours spent with that tractor):
  • The engine is remarkably quiet when operating. Like almost "weirdly" quite in the cab. I mean you know it's running - but it's also a tractor... never ever did I think you could be in a CUT tractor and make a phone call. I did not opt for the radio but the dealer gave me the bracket for mounting one... and I will 100% be adding a bluetooth radio for phone calls and for music. It's that quiet in there!
  • I didn't add the factory radio - but in terms of "add on options" I added the rear work lights, the rear and side window defrosters (elements in the glass), block heater and the rear windshield wiper. Used every single one of them blowing snow the other day and worth the added $300-ish for all of them.
  • I'm waiting on the Kubota factory to deliver me my front 74" snow blower... supposedly it's due around April... so - I'll be going in reverse for most of the rest of this season - but the angle adjustment on the seat isn't half bad to cant yourself sorta to one side. Not perfect - but it's not bad. Certainly better than having to sit forward and turn all the way around.
  • The steering column tilt - there's a little lever you step on, it releases the column and you can move it most anywhere. It makes positioning the steering wheel easy... but I'm not trained yet. Because of the cab your "access" to getting in and out is a bit tighter than an open platform and I need to teach myself to always set the column forward when I get out. And I'm NOT a big dude at all - but I have bounced off things a few times. Not a design flaw - more an operator that's is slow to learn.
  • I have un-empirically decided that the rear end is narrower and the rear tires themselves are narrower than the TC45DA was (and that the tracks from these tires are inside the ruts of the older tractor and appear to be at the inside of the ruts and not of full width). When the tractor and loader go in for blower installation - I'm definitely going to have the dealer move the rims to a more outward position (I feel bad because the tires a filled - so that's a miserable thing to think of doing). I just feel like the tractor is "tippier" - and let me qualify that. The TC45 NEVER, ever, even when doing things I shouldn't have been doing felt "tippy". Like - I never thought about rolling over - ever. With the L4760, there have been 2 times I had mild pucker - and that's not doing much. Once was when the rear went into the same woodchuck hole I put the TC45 rear in 100's of times in my field... the "motion" of the tractor was not inspiring... and a second time was just some uneven snow bank pushing - on very level ground... I'm not saying it's gonna tip... nor am I saying it would tip... nothing like that. What I am saying is there is a motion sensation on this tractor on uneven ground that is "less inspiring" than the New Holland was - and I think the easy fix is to widen the rear out to make it have a similar stand to the NH.
  • The turning radius is stupid. And I mean stupid in a positive way. I don't understand how they build this thing to turn on a dime - but it does - and I LOVE that.
  • The heater in the cab is stupid great too! I love how hot it is!
  • The engagement and disengagement of 4WD is simple and works really well. It's a big orange knob on the left behind your foot area - and you just pull it forward. I tried a bunch of times to have the wheels turned / loaded with pressure, etc - and it was nearly impossible to "bind" things enough that I could not put it in or take it out of 4WD. That's nice!
  • The ag tires are very aggressive... the choice of rubber Kubota uses actually has like extra "mean" marks in the mould... my wife looked at the wheels and asked if these were more aggressive because they look "mean". At the end of the day they are R1- but I can tell you they leave marks on a brushed concrete apron my old tractor did not... your mileage may vary with that observation.
  • I have found (once I found them) the switches for lights, wipers, defrost, etc to be easy to operate - mostly. So - the work lights are a single on-off, the wipers are on-off-push for wiper fluid, the defrost is push for a light to come on timed to shut off... It's that simple. Once you figure it out :) The other buttons and knobs for main lights and turn signals are on the wand on the column just like a car... and the hazard button is on the dash and simple to push.
  • I am really starting to like the InteliPanel(tm) for showing information. Not that you really need mosto if it - but it's cool none the less. Like the rate of fuel usage, hours and hours to service interval stuff... lots of good info in there... the only "improvement" that I think would be useful here is a second button for navigation through the menus. You can only page one way using a single button. SO - if you want to see information on "the last screen" - instead of pushing a button to go back... you push the same button to go forward, wrap around the end of the menu and keep going. Super minor - and it's not like you flip through these all the time...
  • I like my "base" seat. I have seen people swear by the air ride upgrade - and I have no doubt it's great - but it's also 1000 upgrade. For my 155#, 5'11" frame - the base seat is fine - the spring bouncy tension is fully adjustable - and I can go at a decent rate across the field and it's bounce - and the seat evens things out quite nicely for me... air ride it is not - but for my money - it's a GREAT seat. the arms go up and down... the back tilt is adjustable... the seat can cant side to side (see above)... the seat moved forward and backwards...
  • Rear 3pt is smooth as butter - it lifts by big 75" blower no issue - no jerkyness - love it!

All in all my impressions of this tractor as this thread and the TNB one show are very positive. I'm looking forward to years and years of using this thing in the snow and the warm weather.

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
If you move your tires outward for stability you might find they are equal to or wider than the front snowblower. Perhaps something to consider/investigate before moving them. Assuming you have any concerns about this.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I added wheel spacers to my 2650, but with drift cutters on the front blower it still comes out even.

fishpick

Equipment
BX24 & L4760HSTC
Dec 16, 2017
If you move your tires outward for stability you might find they are equal to or wider than the front snowblower. Perhaps something to consider/investigate before moving them. Assuming you have any concerns about this.
I definitely have room to move them out and still be in the blower path with cutters on it.
And even if I didn’t - I’d vote stability over pretty snow cuts ;)

Plus - we live On top of a hill - so no matter how nice a job I do - it drifts over. So I’m not worried too much ;)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You said you have ag tires, if so you shouldn't need spacers, the rims will have several options for width adjustment.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
You said you have ag tires, if so you shouldn't need spacers, the rims will have several options for width adjustment.
Fishpick - following NIW, you should have something like 6"+/- width options just by moving wheel mounts.

No spacers should be needed.

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
[*] I didn't add the factory radio - but in terms of "add on options" I added the rear work lights, the rear and side window defrosters (elements in the glass), block heater and the rear windshield wiper. Used every single one of them blowing snow the other day and worth the added $300-ish for all of them.
You got a heck of a deal for all those items!!! Below are the individual prices for each item along with their order code or P/N:

Defroster Rear: L8340........$281.00
Defroster Side: L8381.........$307.00

Rear Wiper: L8364..............$143.00

Rear Work Light: L8333.......$131.00

Block Heater 70000-00297...$67.84

Radio... Just an FYI. I seen Messick's has some low cost radio solution that is plug and play. I think it was $99. They were a bit frustrated many cab owners were foregoing the radio option.

Last edited:

fishpick

Equipment
BX24 & L4760HSTC
Dec 16, 2017
@North Idaho Wolfman & @RCW - I never said I needed spacers...
I'm definitely going to have the dealer move the rims to a more outward position (I feel bad because the tires a filled - so that's a miserable thing to think of doing).
I think you confused @sheepfarmer's input on spacers for 2650 with my post...
It was actually the section of the manual that talked about the 4 positions the hubs offer that was my "ahh haa" moment about the rear end width!

@200mph - I KNOW! That's why after I first said "no"... I thought about the deal and said "yes!". :)
And - you are right - they DO have a really cheap radio option available! I think I might have to order one of these up!
http://www.messicks.com/part/jsd-520/messick-kubota-radio

fishpick

Equipment
BX24 & L4760HSTC
Dec 16, 2017
Yesterday we were expecting a "big snow storm" so I started the morning by plugging in the block heater... which I then unplugged around 2 as the storm was "ending" and we had around 4"... Definitely not enough to blow.
This morning I got up and the lake effect snow machine had apparently been left running all night and we had almost 9" of fluffy white on the ground. This caused 2 things to happen:
  1. Made me mad I had not gotten the remote WiFI switch set up finished to turn on the block heater in the barn from the house
  2. Made me realize how happy I was to have a tractor with a cab
I headed out and had to WAIT for the tractor to idle up to operating temps and for the cab to get warm... almost 8 minutes! Then I cleared the driveway with ease. More observations with the new machine (which now has about 5 hours on it total):
  • This tractor is rated at 47HP, my old one was rated at 45HP - this tractor feels like it's a HECK of a lot more robust in the HP department than the old one... It never seems to bog in any way. In M + rabbit gear - I can back up so fast the snow volume is more than the 75" blower can throw (i.e. its spilling around the sides and is a mountain being pushed in front of it) and the tractor NEVER acts like there's anything going on back there...
  • I have said it before - and I'll say it again - the turning radius on this thing is absurd - it makes the tractor behave like it's 1/2 the size. I love it.
  • It's fast. M + rabbit - blowing in reverse - done in like 45 minutes - with a job that used to take nearly an hour and a half... I can't imagine how much faster when I finally get the front mounted blower!!!
I will also admit my first major error with the tractor... I blew the 1/2 mile drive and the loop in front of the house and the walkway from the loop to the house... and it wasn't until I was done and parking the tractor back in the barn that I realized the error I had made... Having never had a cab before - it's easy how the novice could make this mistake... I didn't bring a coffee with me to sip on from the comfort of the heated cab while doing the work :)
My cup holder went unused! :D

Tractor Dell

Equipment
Kubota BX23S
Jun 13, 2017
Central PA
I will also admit my first major error with the tractor... I blew the 1/2 mile drive and the loop in front of the house and the walkway from the loop to the house... and it wasn't until I was done and parking the tractor back in the barn that I realized the error I had made... Having never had a cab before - it's easy how the novice could make this mistake... I didn't bring a coffee with me to sip on from the comfort of the heated cab while doing the work :)
My cup holder went unused! :D
Ok, this cracked me up. I bet there are a few non-cab owners mumbling under their breath at you. ;)