My Kubota was a dirtbag!

Wildfire

Equipment
Kubota L5740 HSTC3 and a Kubota ZG222Z, 2013 BX25D,Custom Toyota fork lift.
One of the things that really bugged me about my tractor was the way Kubota designed the exhaust pipe on these Grand L's. As soon as you start the thing up black soot would go all over the left side of the FEL. I put up with it last winter and every second time I used the thing I would have to get the Spray Nine out and clean the FEL's lower left side. I remember seeing another Grand L in the city and the FEL on it was completely black on the left side and that even made me madder. I called the dealer and they told me they were getting a few complaints about it but there was no fix at this time.

Well this past fall I said I wasn't going to be doing that this winter. I thought about installing an exhaust stack on it like "Normal" tractors always had but after giving it some thought I decided to do things the simple way for a change (I never do things that way).:rolleyes:

Seeing I have a cab and the cab takes it's fresh air from the rear top portion of the cab I would modify the exhaust in a small way to deflect the exhaust away from the FEL. I had purchased a new bender this past summer for a contract I took on so It gave me an opertunity to play with it again and it was a simple fix.

Well I'm very happy to report that I now don't have to worry about the ugly soot anymore. I haven't cleaned the FEL at all this winter and there's no soot anywhere on the tractor. I don't have any smell at at all so I'll consider this modification a success.

Greg

Equipment
B7100 HST-D 4x4 with FEL, PTO and 3 pt hitch
Dec 7, 2009
Putnam County, NY
I like the mod and I like the bender. I'm just curious why you chose to decrease your ground clearance? Or is that just not an issue when you use the tractor?

Wildfire

Equipment
I like the mod and I like the bender. I'm just curious why you chose to decrease your ground clearance? Or is that just not an issue when you use the tractor?

Greg I had three choices here with this stupid designed exhaust. One was to put a stack on the thing. The other option was to do it as I have it done now or the third option was to live with it and I didn't want to do that. I would have traded it first so considering this machine is only used for snow clearing on paved lots it wasn't a concern about ground clearance.
As you can see by this photo I could actually cut more off the end pipe if I was concerned and have it level with the front def and still have the soot off the FEL. Good observation though ;)

Greg

Equipment
Dec 7, 2009
Putnam County, NY
It actually looks much lower in the first picture. My image of a tractor is driving over rocks and logs (my use) so this is what see when I look at tractors. lol

Greg

Equipment
Dec 7, 2009
Putnam County, NY
Yep, although I have 5 acres, 1.5 is usable the rest is wooded and extremely rocky. One of the many chores for my kubota will be making a nice walking path through my woods. B7100 is nice and narrow for the job.

Attachments

joekimtkd

Equipment
B7510DT, 4' Snow blower, 4' Loader, 6' Blade, 6' 3PH Finish mower, 6' box blade,
Aug 16, 2009
Durham Ontario Canada
Well~, my kubota was worse than yours.
First thing that I wanted to ask you, What did you use to clean that soot off on your FEL? I need to clean mine too. but I couldn't get it off.

As you could see on my pictures here, I've add a little pipe to re-direct muffler too. But I don't have that BENDER.......:cool: All I have is Canadian Tire~:D And it works too. It doesn't make any more mess on my FEL though.

But one thing I have found was, Air cleaner. It was look alike total Dirt bag. I've never seen that BLACK Air filter in my life time...:eek:
Its been shoot out that soot and radiator cooling fan sucks all that black soot into air filter... What a dumb design it was~:cool:

After I have re-direct pipe that way, I've installed another White color air filter on top of Primary air filter on end of December. and I haven't used tractor enough yet to check that air filter how bad it is...:cool:

No Snow means, No tractor running~! Should I say I'm happy? or SAD~?!:cool:

Probably this Spring, I could check that air filter and see how bad it is and I'll post it here too.

My mufler isn't that good as yours but it seems work too~:D:D:D

Really awesome job you did.
Thank you for sharing all that nice idea~!!!
Thank you again.

Joe.

Attachments

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
WHY does Kubota have to ruin a good thing. My dads L275 has an exhaust pipe that runs down the tractor and out to the back axel, where the muffler is located. The same exact style that all major automobiles have. Also while on this topic I thought I'd mention and ask this. With my little B6100 I have spun my muffler in just about every direction there is so I don't get choked out and pass out. Bad enough I'm a smoker to begin with but diesel exhaust really isn't much Heather. The factory muffler was sideways running parallel to the hood, I unbolted it and pointed it up. So now I'm really suffering because I am 6' 4" tall and the exhaust went right up my nose. I took the muffler off at the 90 degree elbow and pointed that sucker to the ground. AHHH MUCH BETTER. Heres the question. Am I screwing up by not having a muffler??? I have not noticed even a slight difference in the amount of noise.

Wildfire

Equipment
Well~, my kubota was worse than yours.
First thing that I wanted to ask you, What did you use to clean that soot off on your FEL? I need to clean mine too. but I couldn't get it off.

As you could see on my pictures here, I've add a little pipe to re-direct muffler too. But I don't have that BENDER....... All I have is Canadian Tire~ And it works too. It doesn't make any more mess on my FEL though.

But one thing I have found was, Air cleaner. It was look alike total Dirt bag. I've never seen that BLACK Air filter in my life time...
Its been shoot out that soot and radiator cooling fan sucks all that black soot into air filter... What a dumb design it was~

After I have re-direct pipe that way, I've installed another White color air filter on top of Primary air filter on end of December. and I haven't used tractor enough yet to check that air filter how bad it is...

No Snow means, No tractor running~! Should I say I'm happy? or SAD~?!

Probably this Spring, I could check that air filter and see how bad it is and I'll post it here too.

My mufler isn't that good as yours but it seems work too~:D:D:D

Really awesome job you did.
Thank you for sharing all that nice idea~!!!
Thank you again.

Joe.
Thanks Joe. That's a nice tractor. Did you fabricate the cab. I used spray nine to clean the soot off mine but others have said that Simple green works well too. We had snow today so i got out to play I mean plow snow. Had the tunes turned up on bust and life was good. Got home and told the wife I'm beat out plowing snow but that's what we need to make a living (can't tell he I'm enjoying it. I'll owe her one) ;)

Glad you enjoyed the post Joe :D

WHY does Kubota have to ruin a good thing. My dads L275 has an exhaust pipe that runs down the tractor and out to the back axel, where the muffler is located. The same exact style that all major automobiles have. Also while on this topic I thought I'd mention and ask this. With my little B6100 I have spun my muffler in just about every direction there is so I don't get choked out and pass out. Bad enough I'm a smoker to begin with but diesel exhaust really isn't much Heather. The factory muffler was sideways running parallel to the hood, I unbolted it and pointed it up. So now I'm really suffering because I am 6' 4" tall and the exhaust went right up my nose. I took the muffler off at the 90 degree elbow and pointed that sucker to the ground. AHHH MUCH BETTER. Heres the question. Am I screwing up by not having a muffler??? I have not noticed even a slight difference in the amount of noise.
Good question on the muffler. Gee I couldn't say for sure on a diesel but on a gas engine it needs a certain amount of back pressure to work properly. Maybe some of the Diesel guys can fill us in on that question. I wouldèt like exhaust going up my nose either

I Have bender envy.
You'll have to get one. I can't see how I done with out this one. I'm using it for things It wasn't intended for but it does some nice work. Last year I bought a new Kubota Zero turn and I wanted to pimp it out a bit which I did but It didn't come with a bumper and one couldn't be bought so I made one with the help of the bender. Now I can tow my cart around with it.

Beleave me. This photo was not taken today

joekimtkd

Equipment
B7510DT, 4' Snow blower, 4' Loader, 6' Blade, 6' 3PH Finish mower, 6' box blade,
Aug 16, 2009
Durham Ontario Canada
Thanks Joe. That's a nice tractor. Did you fabricate the cab. I used spray nine to clean the soot off mine but others have said that Simple green works well too. We had snow today so i got out to play I mean plow snow. Had the tunes turned up on bust and life was good. Got home and told the wife I'm beat out plowing snow but that's what we need to make a living (can't tell he I'm enjoying it. I'll owe her one) ;)

Glad you enjoyed the post Joe :D
Yeah, you could tell that cab is HOME MADE, Huh~?!:D
I made that first time in my life time with MIG welder~! Never weld it before either.:( and it turned out not too bad, but still I have to fix a few more stuff in this summer.

I was working with my welding guy in town here for 5 hours yesterday to make my snow blade wings~! and finished most stuff but still I have to do more detail work to finish it myself. and he charged me only $140 including all the materials too.:D also he came to my house to pick up the blade and drop it off too~! Isn't he super nice guy~?!

and for your Kubota zero turn towing hitch~, I've made mine on Cub cadet's zero turn too~!!! ha ha ha...:D What a coincidents, Huh~?!
Well~~~ Of course, I admit the fact that mine isn't near pretty as yours but~ at least it works for me~! :D:D:D

Please, keep on sharing your ideas and your fancy work with us, Please~!!!

Thanks a million.

Joe.

Wildfire

Equipment
Yeah, you could tell that cab is HOME MADE, Huh~?!
I made that first time in my life time with MIG welder~! Never weld it before either. and it turned out not too bad, but still I have to fix a few more stuff in this summer.

I was working with my welding guy in town here for 5 hours yesterday to make my snow blade wings~! and finished most stuff but still I have to do more detail work to finish it myself. and he charged me only $140 including all the materials too. also he came to my house to pick up the blade and drop it off too Isn't he super nice guy!

and for your Kubota zero turn towing hitch~, I've made mine on Cub cadet's zero turn too~!!! ha ha ha... What a coincidents, Huh~?!
Well~~~ Of course, I admit the fact that mine isn't near pretty as yours but~ at least it works for me~! :D

Please, keep on sharing your ideas and your fancy work with us, Please~!!!

Thanks a million.

Joe.

Hey Joe I guess great minds think alike when it comes to putting bumpers on zero turns :D weren't you the one that said you couldn't weld :confused: buy the looks of that cab your doing very good at it. I know "Welders" that wouldn't do it half that good my buddy. Tip my lid to you sir.

Your welding guy sure is treating you fair. Nice to hear actually. I'm looking forward to seeing the results of your project.

Yesterday i had a strange job. Had one of our long time customers come in the shop with a slow leak in one of his tires. after a little investigating I found out the alloy aluminum rim had three cracks in it causing the leak. I made a few calls and couldn't get a rim on the island plus if I could the rim cost $828. :eek: Well not wanting to leave the customer stuck with out his plow truck I tig welded it. Turns out the guy had a flat at some time and drove on the flat tire :rolleyes: Seeing you like photo's I posted some for ya.

mcrimm

Equipment
B2920 w/FEL 2782 snowblower, zg222
Jan 2, 2011
Kalispell, MT
Wildfire said....................

I bought a new Kubota Zero turn and I wanted to pimp it out a bit which I did but It didn't come with a bumper and one couldn't be bought so I made one with the help of the bender. Now I can tow my cart around with it. [/I]

Wow - I bought my ZG222 in the spring of 2009. Absolutely love it. I noticed the lack of a rear bumper...... sure like yours.......you ought to produce a few. I'd be interested in one. If your so inclined, let me know.

Thanks,
Mike

Wildfire

Equipment
Wildfire said....................

I bought a new Kubota Zero turn and I wanted to pimp it out a bit which I did but It didn't come with a bumper and one couldn't be bought so I made one with the help of the bender. Now I can tow my cart around with it. [/I]

Wow - I bought my ZG222 in the spring of 2009. Absolutely love it. I noticed the lack of a rear bumper...... sure like yours.......you ought to produce a few. I'd be interested in one. If your so inclined, let me know.

Thanks,
Mike
Hi Mike. Congrats on the Zero turn. Glad your enjoying it. When I got mine I ended up putting a mulching kit on it. Glad I did because I hate raking :mad:

Glad you like the bumper. I doubt I'd go into production building them due to the fact that all my equipment is manual and not CNC operated which means it takes some time to build those things. It took a little more than a day to complete the one you see in the photos. I don't understand why Kubota don't offer such a thing.

You are a god.
You can't mean me :eek: I'm leaning more towards evil, well that's what the wife says :D

Well I started out three days ago to fabricate a storage box for the Grand L. Wouldn't you know it I got carried away a bit and now It will have a storage container like I'm sure you haven't seen. Hoping to start a thread about it by the weekend so stay tuned ;) Thanks for posting :)

mcrimm

Equipment
B2920 w/FEL 2782 snowblower, zg222
Jan 2, 2011
Kalispell, MT
I put a mulching kit on mine as well. I've been very happy with it's performance. I mow about 2.5 acres and used to use a atv and sweeper to pick up the clippings. Now I don't need to sweep unless the grass is really long.

I have owned 3 John Deere mowers. Each cost twice as much as the last and lasted half as long. The last $4000 mower was junk. I expect decades out of my Kubota.

Enjoy your toys.

Mike

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Eric, I had the same trouble on my 7100. I turned my muffler up, removed the short turn down and added a short pipe with a turn out to the side. No more smokey loader and the smoke went to the side and over my head so I didn't have to breathe it either.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Am I causeing the engine any harm by not having a muffler on it at all? All I have is a 90 degree elbow that I turned and pointed down to get the crap away from my nose. Over all the noise level without the muffler is about the same, maybe a few decibs louder but not enough to ring your ears off.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I'm no expert but I don't see any difference in that and running straight pipes on a diesel truck. You would think it would breath easier and maybe even run a little cooler.

Wildfire

Equipment
Am I causeing the engine any harm by not having a muffler on it at all? All I have is a 90 degree elbow that I turned and pointed down to get the crap away from my nose. Over all the noise level without the muffler is about the same, maybe a few decibs louder but not enough to ring your ears off.
I wouldn't think there would be a problem. In a gas engine a certain amount of back pressure is required but I don't think that applies with a diesel. I've seen many diesels with no mufflers that are still working well after years in service. That's my 2 cents worth. :)