My iPhone is creeping me out!

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Help! I have no clue how this thing works, but here's what happened:

I came home and set my iPhone 7 down on a table. It was off in the sense it had been left on the home screen, which goes off after about 10 seconds, and therefore it was automatically logged out. I made a call from my landline to someone, and as I talked I glanced over at the cell phone and the screen had come on and it was typing everything I said!
I was so freaked out I grabbed it and shut it off, without having the presence of mind to try to figure out what was going on.

I have had the phone about a year and have not knowingly downloaded any apps on it, but lots of files.

WTF?

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
My Android has the voice to text feature as well. I never use it and it toggles on and off. I'd just as soon have a flip phone myself. Don't need all the junk the Andriod has.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
And Y'all think "A I" is no big deal !

AI doesn't have to be evil to destroy humanity – if AI has a goal and humanity just happens in the way, it will destroy humanity as a matter of course without even thinking about it, no hard feelings." – Elon Musk

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
My Android has the voice to text feature as well. I never use it and it toggles on and off. I'd just as soon have a flip phone myself. Don't need all the junk the Andriod has.
You know Flip I used to think like you, I held out till the bitter end with my trusty old flip phone (no pun intended) until I had different people come visit and watched them call out and receive calls while walking around the yard. My old flip phones would drop calls all the time (had 3 or 4 of them) inside the camp even though we payed 4 hundred or so for a booster. After seeing other people with their iPhones I bit the bullet and got an iPhone 6 even though it cost me more per month. All I can say is what a difference. Like you I have no need for 90% of what the phone is capable of but I will say it is way ahead of the crappy Samsung phones we had before this one. Our other phone runs through a Magic Jack which I have running through the cell phone so that when someone calls the MJ number it will also ring on the cell. The MJ is great as long as you have decent internet, for $35 a year plus $10 for your phone# you can talk anywhere in North America with no long distance charge no matter how long you talk. It's great for us because it would have cost me $1800.00 to get a land line in plus a monthly bill and also I have friends across Canada as well as in the US so we can talk all day if we want with no extra charge. Ok, I'll stop rambling on now , sorry for being so long winded. One more thing, I am in no way affiliated with either of the 2 mentioned above.;)

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada

AI doesn't have to be evil to destroy humanity – if AI has a goal and humanity just happens in the way, it will destroy humanity as a matter of course without even thinking about it, no hard feelings." – Elon Musk
Lol, Skeets I can always count on you to confuse me my friend, being a little shy of brain cells and lets not get started talking about our past :eek: I had to look that one up.;)

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
My only affiliation is with my wife...lol

You are most likely right on the phones. I pay 30 bucks a month, unlimited talk and text (4G) with Boost Mobile (Sprint). My issue is, when I go hunting out west, there is no cell service at all so I also have a SAT phone which is expensive to own and expensive for air time (you pay by the minute) but it works anywhere because it works off communication satellites directly (sort of like a GPS). I only use it for emergencies. Great to have though.

What did we do before cell phones anyway? I cannot remember...lol:eek:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA

A1 is good steak sauce, use it all the time....:D

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
What we did before cell phones.. we enjoyed life a lot more

dalola

Equipment
BX2380 w/FEL & Woods RM48 RFM, Yazoo/Kees Max2 ZTR
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
Here's another "creeper" for ya...

Go into your settings, and choose "privacy", "location services", "system services", "significant locations"..... (need your p/w or touch id)

What you are now looking at is everywhere you've ever been, when, and for how long. :eek:

Do yourself a favor, and clear the history (button at bottom of screen), then turn the feature off, back at the top. Or do yourself a bigger favor and get rid of anything Apple all together.

One more reason to hate Cr@pple....

Last edited:

wgator

Equipment
L4701HST, FEL and other stuff.
Jul 28, 2018
NC
Thanks bearbait, I went to the suggested location in settings on my phone, and nothing is turned on. It is kind of the reverse problem, speech to text, so I'll lookaround for that.
Check Settings, General, Keyboard, scroll down and see if Enable Dictation is on.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Only thing I can think of is the person I was talking to was named Sarah, and maybe the phone thought I said Hey Siri, But dictation feature for that is not on either. Phone had been in my coat pocket, so less susceptible to butt dialing than when in my jeans. ???

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Check Settings, General, Keyboard, scroll down and see if Enable Dictation is on.
Nope, not on. I'll break down and update software, was waiting till they got bugs out of latest ones.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Sheep - check Settings/Siri & Search.
Mine is default to allow when locked. Never had a similar situation, but maybe worth shutting a couple off?
Trust me, I’m WAY far from an expert.....[emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
When I had my iPhone 5, I found the settings to shut siri down. I would talk to someone on my work phone, then siri would start yapping. It was something about the voice activation if I remember correctly. I gave up on Apple and went back to android when Apple quit supporting my phone.

Sheep farmer, they had similar instances with one of those Google or Windows devices for home automation. I remember hearing something about it either on the news or radio shortly after they came out, where a person was having a conversation in there home and got a call from a family friend. The conversation was being streamed live on the internet.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
RCW and Daren, ok so I found the shutoff for Siri, and it was on for Screen Locked, so I turned that off, so far that is the only thing that was on when the screen was blank.

I am wondering what it was doing with what it was typing? Streaming it to the internet or Apple crossed my mind :mad:

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
My old flip phones would drop calls all the time (had 3 or 4 of them) inside the camp even though we payed 4 hundred or so for a booster. After seeing other people with their iPhones I bit the bullet and got an iPhone 6 even though it cost me more per month.
The two are not mutually exclusive. I have a Kyocera DuraXE. All the advantages of a mil-spec flip, but it is LTE, 4G, etc. etc. so it works were the old CDMA phone didn't.

Tough little bugger: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F2oe1flbb0