MY 1st Tractor Question

Workerbee

Equipment
Zd21
Mar 1, 2020
MN
I hope everything turns out good Tom. Blaine could use a little orange there! I get there now and then to see family and am amazed at the farms right in the midst of all the big city activity.

Tom in Blaine

Equipment
2010 L2800
Sep 20, 2020
MN
Thanks "Old and Tired" for helping out the newby, you've got some serious knowledge.

Tom in Blaine MN

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
Since the CAMs were replaced, there might be a chance the position control valve might have been upgraded, too. I hope this morning you'll find that out too... That would make it a great tractor!!!

Not "serious knowledge" just 15 years of owning / operating it and upgrading so much of that little tractor. Other than doing things slower because of the lower HP; it can do whatever the L3901 can do (same hydraulic system). Since I max'ed out my hydraulic pressure - I can do more than the normal dealer prep'ed tractors.

Not saying this is how all dealers do it but most set the hydraulic pressure on the low side. This is most likely a safety thing and it protects the tractor to run on the low side.

I see you already have listed in your profile 2010 L2800 HST - your tractor would have a factory sticker that reads... "Xtra Power"

xtra power.jpg

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
Since I love to ramble, here's some random thoughts... these might be obvious to you (but others might be looking on).

Find out when all the fluids were last changed... I would be incline to change the front axle oil, hydraulic and engine oil before doing much (most likely it's old). Before replacing filters note what color they are, gray filter were break in filters, they should have been changed to white @ 50 hours. Note how much oil comes out of the front axle, MANY people report theirs were low to very low...

If the hydraulics act abnormal - the original hydraulic return hoses were know to crack and let air into the system... affecting FEL and sometimes the 3ph. Original Sight glass to check hydraulic fluid level also known to crack / leak... I'm sure those have been replaced...

Have you used a HST tractor before? Climbing a hill and you lose power, you let up on the "gas pedal" to get more torque - you'll slow down but you'll have the power to get up the hill. There's nothing you can do to speed that up (except more HP) slower speeds mean more seat time = happy time (for me at least!).

I bought mostly used implements except a couple of times where new was actually cheaper With my L2800; I run a 6' box blade; 5' shredder; 6' finishing mower (could power larger but my yard is uneven). 6' rear blade in snow will spin my butt around if in heavy snow! I now have chains and spacers - have not seen heavy snow since...

Again, good luck and let us know how it turned out...

Tom in Blaine

Equipment
2010 L2800
Sep 20, 2020
MN
Hello there Old and Tired, the meeting and test drive went well, he did purchase the tractor from a dealer in texas and does buy the smaller tractors on a regular basis from them, he became a dealer in 2010, I also knew about the "Extra Power" stickers on the hood starting in 2008, the sight glass looked in excellent condition, the tractor has been just serviced (new white filters) however to what extent I don't know yet but he does have it documented, what I saw was obvious sun damage, 1 white electrical plug below the steering wheel on the left side literally rotted away and lots of hydraulic line cracking which we looked at together, I explained to him what I knew about the pto cams and the hood stickers and the fact that it was sold in 2005, he did seem honestly shocked and he stated I know more about that tractor than he does, I told him it's a military thing about doing research and I had help : ) and that I like the tractor and it will fit my needs perfectly, of course he wants to check out the year, he also has a decent sized disc used (was his) on his lot and is asking $800 for, I'm sure we can put a deal together he's currently asking 14.5K but thats based on him thinking it's a 2010, he has already located a quick disconnect bucket conversion that he said he'd do for $800, I'm thinking probably 13.5K total for conversion and disc but I'm not sure. I don't mind him eating steak but I don't want to pay for a years worth : ). your help has been invaluable. On your 6ft box blade does it have scarifiers? He is also a Lands- Pride dealer

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
That's pretty high but with the newer tractors being even higher, I could see that...

I paid $15.5k in 2005 - if you have to replace hydraulic hoses, you are looking at a pretty high cost and one that needs to be addressed as a safety factor. (loader dropping a heavy load to the ground) You might get by for a while since I've seen hoses down to bare metal still holding pressure.

Yes, my 6' box blades have scarifiers, just used them to scratch up a new food plot. I have a couple extra 100# added to the box.

You said he became a "dealer in 2010" - What kind of dealer?? A wheeler-dealer or a Kubota Dealer? He sounds more like a wheeler-dealer trying to get high price for a tractor only used on Sunday drives....

What did the tires look like? (wear and tear-wise) Got photos??

Last edited:

Tom in Blaine

Equipment
2010 L2800
Sep 20, 2020
MN
Yes I did test the 3pt with big disc that he had there, it seemed smooth, tires looked a little worn about 400 hundred hours worth but still lots of tread left, hubs had been repainted, the front grill plastic was slightly out of place but not cracked , has a grill guard, the little alignment tabs not perfectly lined up, battery hold down a little wonky. he is a kubota dealer and has mostly big rigs on the lot with only a few smaller rigs around all new, that is literally in the middle of corn fields I'd like to give the guy the benefit of the doubt but I do think he should have done his due dilligence before buying that tractor, I told him I'd call him by wed basically to find out what he found out and how much he'd sell for, plus I'm taking off for a week duck hunting then, also no extra power stickers which I told him were on 2008-10 hoods

Tom in Blaine

Equipment
2010 L2800
Sep 20, 2020
MN
I'll for sure keep everybody posted, LMAO on your last post, yea i get stuff running through my head too then the whole community chimes in LOL!!!!

Tom in Blaine

Equipment
2010 L2800
Sep 20, 2020
MN
Final update on this saga, since he bid on it as a 2010 he was into it as such and wouldn't reduce the price, to bad for him I guess since he knew I was interested in a nice sized disc, thanks again for every ones help.

TOM

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
So about the VIN / S/N 53628 - One tractor was L2800D (gear) and the one you were looking at was HST... Those 2 different models would have some duplicated S/N's.

So, He was stuck at $14.5... the CAMs were updated (-$1,200+/-) and you said the 3ph was smooth (-$800+/- if a dealer does it now). The problem is the cost of newer tractors drive up the used tractor market.

No way would I sell my 2005 L2800 for less than what I paid for it... and my guess is he would get that price sooner or later...

Timmer92

Equipment
2019 L3901 (former - BX2370), 72" Brush Hog, 72" Hydraulic Snow Blade, 3pt Auger
Dec 4, 2019
Minnesota
I hope everything turns out good Tom. Blaine could use a little orange there! I get there now and then to see family and am amazed at the farms right in the midst of all the big city activity.
We have some orange just a few miles north! Blaine was all sod farms when we moved in 21 years ago. My how things have changed.