My “1 week of ownership” observations....

jaargh

Equipment
BX1880V w/LA344 FEL, BB1248 Scraper, RCR1248 Brush Mower, 60" Rock Rake
Mar 30, 2021
southern california
I have had my tiny tractor 7 days now and it has been interesting. First off, I have rented tractors 2 to 3 times as big in the past to clean up around here.. a complete circumstance is a tad over a mile. Very rocky in some spots thick growth in others and both in some places and this little thing is handling it very well, I am a bit surprised. The brush hog took a bit of a beating on a couple of boulders hidden in the growth but I’ve now cleared a good ton of rocks and after another pass picking up the bigger than a cantaloupe sized ones I will drag the rock rake and get the softball sized ones. The 48” land pride box blade... WOW!,, that thing can move some dirt, very happy with it!! 3 point hitches were invented by liberals!! Next purchase is a quick hitch. A tool box seems to also be an absolute must and I think a hitch receiver as well. Over all the 17k spent on the little guy and implements... should f@#$ing don’t it 5 years ago! The biggest surprise is how dirty I get using it... oh and maybe aa better seat, something with some suspension I’ve had fights that hurt less.

Reactions: 4 users

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Not much familiar with your specific model. Rather familiar with the hammer on the tailbone seat. You might check to see if there’s an adjustment on the spring tension for the seat. If there is, tighten it. That has the advantage of costing $0. Air suspension seats are generally available. They’re swell. Disadvantage is cost, which is somewhere around a lot.

Congratulations on the new tractor.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
3 point hitches were invented by liberals!!
AND I thought 3PHs were invented by conservatives! Not sure it makes any difference though! LOL

Glad you love your tractor.

Was going to close with "Peace," but then you might read me wrong...LOL x2

Reactions: 1 user

foobert

Equipment
BX2380
Mar 25, 2021
Washington
And, I thought 3PH was invented by someone that simply understands physics.

I guess by today’s political tribalism expressed above, that means I look down on smart people?!? 🤷‍♂️

NCL4701

Equipment
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I always heard the 3 point hitch was invented and patented by Harry Ferguson back in the late 1920’s. Pretty sure he was British so he would have been a Whig or a Tory or something if he had any political affiliation. I don’t know much about English politics in the 1920’s due to a truly impressive lack of interest. Probably can’t prove it but I would wager he was just a bright guy who thought there might be a better way to raise and lower tillage implements than having a bunch of dudes standing ON the implement working long levers in some death defying synchronized dance. Of course there was the side benefit of making bank on it, whether selling Ferguson tractors or taking his patent and breaking it off in the rear end of anyone who tried to steal it without giving him his cut (even if the anyone was the mighty Henry Ford).

3 point without quick hitch is an acquired taste. Could be worse.
E04F7526-DF48-42BC-BA9C-7A543DCC0C14.jpeg
If you think the three point is evil, check out the alternative... (yes, I’m aware there were other systems before and after, however everything was almost universally drawbar only prior to the three point.) And I’m not exactly young but no, I did not take this picture.

Reactions: 6 users

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
The left arm of the 3 point hitch was invented by a liberal. The right arm was invented by a conservative. And the top hitch was invented by an independent. I think that covers all three points sufficiently.

@NCL4701 thanks for sharing that - always fun to know the history of the tools we use!

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users

jaargh

Equipment
Mar 30, 2021
southern california
The left arm of the 3 point hitch was invented by a liberal. The right arm was invented by a conservative. And the top hitch was invented by an independent. I think that covers all three points sufficiently.

@NCL4701 thanks for sharing that - always fun to know the history of the tools we use!
Ok... I will say the 3 point hitch in its "modern" version was invented by the devil.... I leave you to decide just who that sob is :devilish: AND the person that came up with the quick hitch.... beers for life for you!!

• Haha

jaargh

Equipment
Mar 30, 2021
southern california
I always heard the 3 point hitch was invented and patented by Harry Ferguson back in the late 1920’s. Pretty sure he was British so he would have been a Whig or a Tory or something if he had any political affiliation. I don’t know much about English politics in the 1920’s due to a truly impressive lack of interest. Probably can’t prove it but I would wager he was just a bright guy who thought there might be a better way to raise and lower tillage implements than having a bunch of dudes standing ON the implement working long levers in some death defying synchronized dance. Of course there was the side benefit of making bank on it, whether selling Ferguson tractors or taking his patent and breaking it off in the rear end of anyone who tried to steal it without giving him his cut (even if the anyone was the mighty Henry Ford).

3 point without quick hitch is an acquired taste. Could be worse. View attachment 57934 If you think the three point is evil, check out the alternative... (yes, I’m aware there were other systems before and after, however everything was almost universally drawbar only prior to the three point.) And I’m not exactly young but no, I did not take this picture.
Good stuff..crew served farm implements... gotta love that

NCL4701

Equipment
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Ok... I will say the 3 point hitch in its "modern" version was invented by the devil.... I leave you to decide just who that sob is :devilish: AND the person that came up with the quick hitch.... beers for life for you!!
Another kind of interesting farm implements history trivia thing. While Ford tried to steal it and thought he had enough lawyers and money to do it (he underestimated Ferguson), International-McCormick, a much more dominant player at the time, tried to get around it by coming up with the one point hitch and alternatively the two point hitch. Both were quick hitches. They had a thick, stout solid spear with a notch on it. You just backed into the implement and it kind of snapped on. They kept messing with it and improving it but it never caught on. I know that is probably hard for you to believe. 🙂

Again, not my photos but examples of one point, two point, and the spear for the implement side (still available at TSC).
3A2C42EB-9728-40F2-8A4B-C05316E3675D.jpeg
C15B3990-4937-4F6A-A0FD-ACC7A8E5C5EA.jpeg
0FCBAF32-F065-4E3A-869B-A6EFF24723C1.jpeg

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
Another kind of interesting farm implements history trivia thing. While Ford tried to steal it and thought he had enough lawyers and money to do it (he underestimated Ferguson), International-McCormick, a much more dominant player at the time, tried to get around it by coming up with the one point hitch and alternatively the two point hitch. Both were quick hitches. They had a thick, stout solid spear with a notch on it. You just backed into the implement and it kind of snapped on. They kept messing with it and improving it but it never caught on. I know that is probably hard for you to believe. 🙂

Again, not my photos but examples of one point, two point, and the spear for the implement side (still available at TSC). View attachment 58109 View attachment 58110 View attachment 58111
That 2nd photo with the 2-point a Farmall Cub? I have a '48, looks a lot like that.

Orange man hero

Equipment
LX2610HSD
Mar 12, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
I'll never forget the photo or film I saw of pre-depression/dust bowl. The price of wheat was high and everyone was greedy. The photo has a huge Caterpillar tractor pulling a series of plows or tillers that looked 50 yards wide.

NCL4701

Equipment
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
That 2nd photo with the 2-point a Farmall Cub? I have a '48, looks a lot like that.

Link to the source says it’s a 140. We have the H my Dad grew up with but never owned one with a IH hydraulic rear hitch. Seems like we were kind of odd in that way; most everyone had one in a shed somewhere. Great little tractors for cultivating tobacco and pulling tobacco sleds. Many were still in use for those purposes here until the tobacco buyout program practically eliminated the 20 acre and under tobacco farmers. For small farming/large gardening, they were awesome little machines.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas

3 point without quick hitch is an acquired taste. Could be worse. View attachment 57934 If you think the three point is evil, check out the alternative... (yes, I’m aware there were other systems before and after, however everything was almost universally drawbar only prior to the three point.) And I’m not exactly young but no, I did not take this picture.
You may refer to Harry Ferguson as “British” and not be wrong.... but he’d likely not like you for it.... He was Irish.
His 3-Pt hitch invention was his revenge against the Brits. 😂

Seriously.... as “tricky” as the 3-pt hitch seems to us moderns..... in-fact, it was a HUGE advance as a ”universal solution” over the myriad of goofy hitches in-vogue at the time. It’s actually quite a nice solution if you know how to use it and have your implements stored on solid-ground at the same height.

jaargh

Equipment
Mar 30, 2021
southern california
You may refer to Harry Ferguson as “British” and not be wrong.... but he’d likely not like you for it.... He was Irish.
His 3-Pt hitch invention was his revenge against the Brits. 😂

Seriously.... as “tricky” as the 3-pt hitch seems to us moderns..... in-fact, it was a HUGE advance as a ”universal solution” over the myriad of goofy hitches in-vogue at the time. It’s actually quite a nice solution if you know how to use it and have your implements stored on solid-ground at the same height.
Absolutely.. I don’t want to think what a nitemare it would be if there weren’t an accepted “standard” for these things