Mx6000…is it too big for what I want to do?

Psufan

Equipment
Tbd
Dec 30, 2021
Pa
I am shopping for a new tractor to do mainly grapple work along hedge rows, cutting new trails in the woods, getting logs out of the woods for cutting firewood, Clearing some small overgrown fields for a food plot. Some brush hogging. Basically, This tractor will be used for a little bit of everything. I want a cab model because I want to be able to enjoy the tractor as much as possible.

I am between a L4060 or MX series tractor. I am interested in the MX because of the larger loader capacity over the 4060, however I know it is bigger than the 4060. My question is, is the MX too big for this work? Will it be too cumbersome for cutting trails and logging?

any feedback would be appreciated

Reactions: 1 users

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I own the MX6000 and love it. I love the stability of this machine. It feels rock solid and stable no matter what I use it for: loader or ground engaging. The large front wheels help with stability for loader work and traveling over rough ground. The MX is pretty nimble and turns tight for its size. But I think you ought to talk to others who own cabs regarding working in the woods. I would say yes for the ROPs model for your uses; I’m not sure about a cab on any tractor model for woods work. But I have only owned open station tractors, so get other opinions.

Reactions: 1 user

Firefight100

Equipment
MX5200
Apr 3, 2021
63379 troy mo
I have a MX5200 and it is very nimble. I work in the woods with mine. I have open station. A cab would be nice to have but I thing in the woods it would constantly be damaged from low hanging limbs.
You will absolutely love the extra horsepower the MX offers.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I don’t think the MX5400 is that much larger, but a better loader tractor. The 4060LE is definitely cheaper, but I think I’d buy the MX5400 with a bit more size and HP.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I would want the biggest front wheels I could get and a heavy tractor to handle the loads. Trees are heavy. Small wheels don't handle rough ground well, especially when loaded.

I wouldn't go smaller than the MX. Even the MX will run out of lift capacity fast.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I use my open station for trail work, firewood work, and mowing under countless trees. I honestly don’t believe I could use anything with a cab. A logging cage like a skidder, sure; but not a cab. At 260 hours I’ve almost beaten all the conspicuity tape off the ROPs.

If someone is successfully using a cab model for low impact logging and trail clearing type work in forested areas without routinely causing significant damage to the cab, it would be quite interesting to hear how they’re able to do that.

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
I am shopping for a new tractor to do mainly grapple work along hedge rows, cutting new trails in the woods, getting logs out of the woods for cutting firewood, Clearing some small overgrown fields for a food plot. Some brush hogging. Basically, This tractor will be used for a little bit of everything. I want a cab model because I want to be able to enjoy the tractor as much as possible.

I am between a L4060 or MX series tractor. I am interested in the MX because of the larger loader capacity over the 4060, however I know it is bigger than the 4060. My question is, is the MX too big for this work? Will it be too cumbersome for cutting trails and logging?

I think the MX6000 Cab would do a good job for you if you could increase your budget a little more the Grand L6060 Cab model would give you a even nicer hydro transmission with stahl guard and a little more lift capacity on the front and rear of the tractor and a nicer cab.

Also the big grand L6060s 3 point have external lift cylinders like the M series tractors do and will make any repairs down the road a lot cheaper than the MX series which use internal 3pt cylinders.

Good luck with whatever you decide to go with all the machines you're looking at will do what you want to do.

Psufan

Equipment
Tbd
Dec 30, 2021
Pa
The l 6060 is nice but too much for me to spend even though I would really like the hst+, it is not a must. That narrows it down to the Mx.

what are your guys thoughts on the 4760? Seems to be a couple grand more than the mx6000.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I’d ask: Which one will run your intended implements better? Which one makes your work easier? How is a cab helpful in the woods? Maybe also consider which one gives better visibility for your tasks?

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
If logging is the primary intention, then I would opt for the heavier more powerful machine.
I upgraded from an L4630 to an M6040 specifically for that reason.
Bigger wheels, more ground clearance and of course weight and HP.
I also chose a cabbed rig as I prefer to work in comfort when snow plowing and other winter activities so there is always the risk of cab damage.
I am very mindful of where the machine is when in the woods and work slowly and methodically .
Using a skidding winch helps minimize having to get off the skid trails and exposing the tractor to damage.
It is a trade off but you "gotta run what ya brung":p

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN

I have multiple tractors, including 4 Kubotas. All are ROPS models due to routine operation near and beneath trees. Still snag lamps, etc., occasionally.

Cabs and woods do not mix well.

SDT

Reactions: 2 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I currently have two MX6000s. An open station and a cab model. Both have their place, and if you ever want to add the backhoe you need to go with the open station. I don't work in or around any wooded areas so the cab model will be the last to go, but I can imagine it would be easy to damage the cab, not to mention annoying having to always be on the lookout for obstacles.

CGMKCM

Equipment
RVT-1100C, ZD323, L4760
Jan 26, 2021
Randolph county N.C.
I have an open station L4760 that I use in the woods. I purchased the 4760 to get the loader capacity and hydraulic flow of the L6060 but in a smaller size machine. I am in the process of widening our trails that were built for ATV's. The loader is very strong and my 64" grapple really works great for tree work. I need to use a 1k lb weight box as well as loaded tires to take full advantage of the loader/grapple. I also have my rear tires in the widest configuration and it makes for a stable platform. I have 150 hrs on my tractor that is a year old. So far I am very happy with the power and stability of the tractor. My old 30 h.p. tractor was better in tight places but so far I have not damaged anything and get around well in the woods..
IMG_E2550.JPG

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I am here in Western Pennsylvania and I would have destroyed a cab had I had one. If you get the cab make sure you get the Kubota Insurance as they will fix anything you break at very little if any cost to you as I understand it. I don't know the extent of your planned undertaking but I would guess a 40 hp machine is about perfect. Good luck.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
The l 6060 is nice but too much for me to spend even though I would really like the hst+, it is not a must. That narrows it down to the Mx.

what are your guys thoughts on the 4760? Seems to be a couple grand more than the mx6000.
For the grand L, you will paying more for deluxe features and a plushier machine that is going to be less capable than the MX for your uses.

Psufan

Equipment
Tbd
Dec 30, 2021
Pa
I have an open station L4760 that I use in the woods. I purchased the 4760 to get the loader capacity and hydraulic flow of the L6060 but in a smaller size machine. I am in the process of widening our trails that were built for ATV's. The loader is very strong and my 64" grapple really works great for tree work. I need to use a 1k lb weight box as well as loaded tires to take full advantage of the loader/grapple. I also have my rear tires in the widest configuration and it makes for a stable platform. I have 150 hrs on my tractor that is a year old. So far I am very happy with the power and stability of the tractor. My old 30 h.p. tractor was better in tight places but so far I have not damaged anything and get around well in the woods.. View attachment 74567 .
Good info. It sounds like you are doing exactly what I want to do with mine. The 4760 is as big as it gets in that size frame which is appealing to me.

CGMKCM

Equipment
RVT-1100C, ZD323, L4760
Jan 26, 2021
Randolph county N.C.
Good info. It sounds like you are doing exactly what I want to do with mine. The 4760 is as big as it gets in that size frame which is appealing to me.
JMO, I also like the fact that it does not have a turbocharger. Same block and displacement as the bigger L60 series.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
JMO, I also like the fact that it does not have a turbocharger. Same block and displacement as the bigger L60 series.
Turbochargers are long proven technology and extremely reliable in Diesel engine applications. They provide amazing power over an engine without one with no increase in fuel usage. What’s not to like?

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Turbochargers are long proven technology and extremely reliable in Diesel engine applications. They provide amazing power over an engine without one with no increase in fuel usage. What’s not to like?
Expense.

SDT