MX5400 with 1065 FEL and JBar 66” Grapple questions

100AkerWood

Equipment
2021 Kubota MX5400 1973 Kubota B6000 1979 MF245 J-Bar Grapple, Rake & Blade
Mar 2, 2021
Lee County AL
New guy here with a few questions about 1065 FEL and JBar grapple.

I have a brand new MX with 1065 and a JBar Grapple which I am wanting to play with, but have a major hydraulic leak coming from either the third function valve or a bad hose connection. (PIC #1 of BAT)

The tractor sits parked while I wait on the dealer to come pay a visit. I have less than 3.2 hours on the tractor and 2.5 were cutting a field behind my house. I’m miffed after letting the dealer know three days ago I want them to come fix problem as I didn’t notice the leak until I used the FEL/grapple to move 10 rocks after I installed a Super grille.

Now to the questions.

Is there a reason why the thru bolts on the 1065 FEL hinges/knuckle are not tightened down all the way on the nylon nut? (See photo #2)

Does Kubota assembly to use tape (Teflon) on hydraulic fittings? I thought thread compound was recommended and tape a no-no?

Grapple question.. NO grease on piston pin/knuckles? Tight fit so spray Grease? Tacky Red or greaseless? (Pic #3- no grease and missing a d@$$ clip)
Explanations are welcome.

Motion

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5100HST/FEL
Aug 17, 2020
Mandeville Louisiana
The pictures didn't make it.
There should be no loose fasteners anywhere. Nylon lock nuts should have at least 2-3 threads passed the nylon.
Some use Teflon but must be very careful to start two threads back, I prefer sealant ( Loctite 545). I'm guessing the dealership installed the third function.
Some grapples don't come with grease fittings at the pivot points. you can try some heavy grease but I don't believe it stay where necessary. I've used Marfak #1in those type conditions. I wouldn't sweat it if you wear through that steel (90-120 degrees of pivot) , you will have gotten your monies worth. Just my .02

swpflipper

Equipment
MX5400 HST, LA1065 FEL, HR2572 box blade - S30 flip Screen
Nov 3, 2020
Arizona
On my MX 5400 the loader bolts that hold the pins are not tightened down to the pin. They have the nylon lock nuts too.
My dealer installed third function leaked also. It was a simple re tighten.

100AkerWood

Equipment
Mar 2, 2021
Lee County AL
Thanks all.

Your responses are appreciated as I am a FEL/grapple newbie.

I have noticed that JBAR equipment does not come with manuals, At least on the three other pieces of equipment I purchased over time, so not having one for the grapple which is more mechanical, surprised me.

I guess reading threads on here and Tractornet, there are opinions on the use of tape or red locktite. Future repair use....will be locktite.

I am disheartened by the dealer as the hydraulic leak is significant and the fluid loss with minimal use of the FEL (like 1.2 hrs) has the fluid level below the sight glass.

When I signed off on the tractor, I just played with a minimal "lesson" in the third function remote. So, I want them to fix it and also replenish the lost fluid which I am going to assume is gallons.

Thanks again.

Motion

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5100HST/FEL
Aug 17, 2020
Mandeville Louisiana
I'd suggest going over the tractor/FEL with a fine tooth comb, make a list with pictures to be given to the dealer for correction, make sure to take a picture of the sight glass. They should correct deficiencies and top off you fluid.

100AkerWood

Equipment
Mar 2, 2021
Lee County AL
Thanks all. Got an email late this afternoon that the service manager is gonna come out to fix my third function valve tomorrow.

Cranked it up with a buddy yesterday, ran the rpms up, lifted the grapple, It squirted like Moby Dick, fluid out coming out in location of third function valve.

Was gonna post a picture of Super Js grille and noticed a hanging pivot. Top grabbing a few good size boulders from a pile to shore my creek crossing musta knocked a clip pin out. Compared the pins from JBar with some older ones I had...swapped out the MIC pins for some good old farm stock pins...

Fingers crossed I get to bushhog my clover fields this weekend.