MX5400 Build My Kubota options

Tipper

Equipment
L3901HST, LA525, Landpride rear blade
Feb 10, 2018
South Dakota
I am looking at buying a new MX5400, and I don't understand what a lot of the "Build My Kubota" options are. If any can enlighten me, I'd be grateful! (FYI - Although i've been operating an L3901 for a few years, I am not very tractor savvy, so you'll have to use "lay person" terms.) 1) Mounting Base with Valve Kits (1st pos lever kit/2nd pos valve kit/3rd pos v kit) 2) Draft Control Kit 3)Top N Tilt Kit 4) Alternator Kit for the cab.

Now that I've read a few comments on other threads involving the MX series, I am now wondering about the HST versus Gear shift transmission too! I have an HST now. Thoughts??

Thank you in advance!!

Last edited:

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I am looking at buying a new MX5400, and I don't understand what a lot of the "Build My Kubota" options are. If any can enlighten me, I'd be grateful! (FYI - Although i've been operating an L3901 for a few years, I am not very tractor savvy, so you'll have to use "lay person" terms.) 1) Mounting Base with Valve Kits (1st pos lever kit/2nd pos valve kit/3rd pos v kit) 2) Draft Control Kit 3)Top N Tilt Kit 4) Alternator Kit for the cab.

Now that I've read a few comments on other threads involving the MX series, I am now wondering about the HST versus Gear shift transmission too! I have an HST now. Thoughts??

Thank you in advance!!
Remote valves are configured as a lever kit and a valve. First position lever kit is basic parts for the valve. Then you chose the type of valve you want in that position. Same for second and subsequent valves.

Draft fontrol is an ootion for ground engaging inplements like a plow. If you aint ploughing you dont need it.

Top and tilt is hydraulic cylinders for adfujustin topnlink and side link. Requires two remote valves to operate the cylinders.

Clueless on the alternator option.

Dan

Reactions: 1 users

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio

Thank you in advance!!
Only thought I have is regarding the transmission. I think that depends on how you plan to use most and/or the safety factors if others will use also. I grew with manual everything tractors, dirt bikes and into cars and motorcycles and even some large forklifts. Anyway I think on an MX if you plan to use the loader a lot or in / around buildings the HST is probably helpful. I have not driven A gearded Mx tractor but when I used geared tractors previously they are better for set it forget it and get as much torque to the ground as possible. I think for most things an Mx has more power than you may need off the PTO so loss of toque maybe not a big issue with that machine unless you are near the limit on a big bat wing or something…but I am not really sure about that. HST has a throttle /lock or cruise so it’s not like you have to hold the pedal down. To me the benefit is the finesse especially if you use pallets a lot and load trailers or back end of pick ups. Foot on the pedal sure can stop it quicker if you have hilly ground(I do). Personally I like manual transmissions, however there is a benefit with HST for loader work and manuever ability around stuff. Just my thought.

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
The alternator kit for cab, is likely a higher output model for all the electric accessories that come with a cab, heat, ac, radio, 500 lights. Ect. (Just an assumption, but when we ordered the second t4.75 with a cab a "high output" alternator came with the package)
I agree with what was mentioned above for the stick vs hydro. Loader work, boom mowing, anytime finesse and direction change is a priority hydro wins out imo. If your making rounds in the field it probably doesn't matter. You really don't loose a lot of pto hp out of these newer tractors hydro trans, even the stick models arnt really straight gear like the old tractors.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Agree with transmission comparison by rc51stierhoff. Ran gear drive tractors the first 42 years of tractoring with some brief stints on hydrostatic equipment, such as cable plows, but never on a tractor until the Kubota. HST is better for what I do: mowing tight areas that require a lot of maneuvering, loader work, grapple work, fork work, grading work which is mostly relatively short pulls and a lot of maneuvering, pulling trees but not skidding long distances. For high RPM low speed operations such as a tiller, creep (option on some gear transmissions) or HST would be preferable. Also run a chipper and generator but that’s virtually irrelevant to transmission. If I was mostly pulling tillage implements (disc, plow, etc.) in a decent sized field I would prefer gear.

You can do pretty much anything with either, it’s just a matter of what you do most often so you have the better fit the majority of the time. That and since you have a HST but don’t have much experience on a gear drive, before buying a gear drive, test drive one. Even if it isn’t the exact model, get on one that has the same type transmission with the same type reverser and clutch setup, etc. You might like it better than a HST or it might confirm you very much DON’T want it. You won’t know if you don’t try it.

Reactions: 6 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
The alternator kit for cab, is likely a higher output model for all the electric accessories that come with a cab, heat, ac, radio, 500 lights. Ect. (Just an assumption, but when we ordered the second t4.75 with a cab a "high output" alternator came with the package)
I agree with what was mentioned above for the stick vs hydro. Loader work, boom mowing, anytime finesse and direction change is a priority hydro wins out imo. If your making rounds in the field it probably doesn't matter. You really don't loose a lot of pto hp out of these newer tractors hydro trans, even the stick models arnt really straight gear like the old tractors.
I selected the 130A when I ordered the MX6000 HSTC because I also chose the rear defrost window option and rear work lights. This past winter blowing snow in the dark with the rear defrost on, front and rear lights on, radio on and heat blower on the higher output alternator is a good thing.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana

Thank you in advance!!
Like many here I grew up driving all manner of manual transmission vehicles. I've had a Jeep TJ for 22 years and it has a 5-speed and I still enjoy driving it on or off road.

I've owned or own three tractors with HST including a BX25D, an MX6000 HST and an MX6000 HSTC which I still have. I recently bought an M6060 with the F8/R8 transmission and there's no question that the HST is easier to live with on a daily basis. Geared tractors aren't hard to live with, they just take more finesse under certain circumstances. The hydraulic shuttle makes them easier to use but it should come as no surprise that geared tractors shine when making long passes with a mower, cutting hay, tedding, raking, baling, or any task where parasitic loss isn't desirable.

I have to say though having owned two MX6000s, they are incredible tractors. They are so capable and so sure footed with wheel weights and ballast. And they seem to get better and better as the hours rack up. I can't imagine anyone being disappointed with an MX5400 or MX6000.

Reactions: 3 users