MX4700 DT reddish fluid coming from bell housing??

loggin

Equipment
MX4700
Sep 4, 2021
canada
Good Day!!

Was hoping someone might have some insight to my issue. I have an MX4700 DT geared tractor with front wheel assist. I have recently noticed some slight seepage coming from the clutch bell housing drain. I understand that this is typically the result of the front drive shaft seal leaking at the transmission housing. What baffles me is the color. It looks pinkish/red like Dexron 3 transmission fluid. I use Kubota UDT and do not have any dye added.

So was wondering if maybe clutch disc material is pinkish? Not sure where this colored fluid is coming from?

Anybody have any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
Rust? I assume you looked at the hydraulic fluid indicator to verify color. Has the antifreeze been changed out from the oem green?

Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Good Day!!

Was hoping someone might have some insight to my issue. I have an MX4700 DT geared tractor with front wheel assist. I have recently noticed some slight seepage coming from the clutch bell housing drain. I understand that this is typically the result of the front drive shaft seal leaking at the transmission housing. What baffles me is the color. It looks pinkish/red like Dexron 3 transmission fluid. I use Kubota UDT and do not have any dye added.

So was wondering if maybe clutch disc material is pinkish? Not sure where this colored fluid is coming from?

Anybody have any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
Yes some clutch material can be red / rust colored so that might be tainting a hydraulic leak.
Or like kubotafreak says it could be antifreeze if it's got red antifreeze in it.
Or it could be off road diesel?
You'll have give us more to go on!

Reactions: 2 users

loggin

Equipment
MX4700
Sep 4, 2021
canada
Rust? I assume you looked at the hydraulic fluid indicator to verify color. Has the antifreeze been changed out from the oem green?
Thank you for your reply. I am pretty sure it is not rust. Has more of a pinkish color to it instead of a brownish red. Antifreeze is green.

loggin

Equipment
MX4700
Sep 4, 2021
canada
Yes some clutch material can be red / rust colored so that might be tainting a hydraulic leak.
Or like kubotafreak says it could be antifreeze if it's got red antifreeze in it.
Or it could be off road diesel?
You'll have give us more to go on!
Thank you for your reply. Antifreeze is green and no off road diesel being used,

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Do you still have some of that fluid you can post a picture of? Something that shows the color well?

Just a few drops on white paper, paper towel or paper plate might work.

Might help, might not. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Like you, my first thought was ATF also, but you’re using UDT.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

kubotafreak

Equipment
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
What color fluid is in the front axle?

loggin

Equipment
MX4700
Sep 4, 2021
canada
Do you still have some of that fluid you can post a picture of? Something that shows the color well?

Just a few drops on white paper, paper towel or paper plate might work.

Might help, might not. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Like you, my first thought was ATF also, but you’re using UDT.
Sorry for the slow response. Life always seems to get in the way. I have some pictures in different lighting situations because I know it is sometimes hard to judge color on a screen. There wasn't much of a drop left on the drain since the last time I wiped it off. Hopefully it is enough. 2 pics are on a ceramic plate and 2 pics are of it soaked into a piece of paper towel.

Attachments

loggin

Equipment
MX4700
Sep 4, 2021
canada
What color fluid is in the front axle?
The front axle had UDT in it but I have replaced that with 80w90 gear oil. Both of which are golden/honey colored. The tube that covers the front drive shaft is completely dry. If the substance were coming from the front I would think I would see evidence of it on that tube..?

I had thought of maybe removing the drain dowel/plug of the bell housing and see if I can get a bore scope in there but it looks like the propeller shaft might be too close and in the way of having a look around.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
How many hours?
Did you buy it new?

I would say red dyed hydraulic fluid, ATF, of road diesel or possibly assembly lube, are all possibilities?

Has it only been a few drips that happen after working it?
And is it constant. or just every now and then?

What about red grease?

Last edited:

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
How many hours?
Did you buy it new?

I would say red dyed hydraulic fluid, ATF, of road diesel or possibly assembly lube, are all possibilities?

What about red grease?
My guess would be ATF.
But.....only a guess.

loggin

Equipment
MX4700
Sep 4, 2021
canada
How many hours?
Did you buy it new?

What about red grease?
I have not checked lately but believe I have about 300 hours on it and have owned it since new. Relatively few hours for it's age, I know, I certainly use it less than I have my previous tractors.

No off road diesel, no dyed hydraulic fluid and I do not use red grease. Maybe assembly lube..??

The drip is constant but very, very little so I am not too worried at the moment. Certainly not worth splitting it at this point.

Just curious as to where the color is coming from. Might be assembly lube as mentioned or I thought maybe clutch disc color and the dust from it is coloring the fluid..??

Do you happen to know what color the disc material is?

Thanks for your reply!!

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Certainly does not look like rust to me.

Assembly lube theory might have some merit, but just me guessin' too.

Like @kubotafreak said, it sure is mystery oil...:unsure:

Last edited:

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
Really a post about a leak and the google ads are for stop leak. I am thinking it is
some assembly lube that has finally gotten warm enough to leak down to the weep hole

1679514403513.png

kubotafreak

Equipment
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
Is the fluid thin or oily tacky? Do you use red grease? Some of them separate out and bleed that type of fluid. Wondering if you greased a brake/clutch lever? Some of the rods protrude into the bell housing specifically for the clutch. :cool:

Last edited:

loggin

Equipment
MX4700
Sep 4, 2021
canada
Is the fluid thin or oily tacky? Do you use red grease? Some of them separate out and bleed that type of fluid. Wondering if you greased a brake/clutch lever? Some of the rods protrude into the bell housing specifically for the clutch. :cool:
It seems to have more of an oil consistency rather than a grease. I do understand what you mean about the oil separating from grease, however I do not use red grease. I use moly grease on pretty much everything (black in color).

Marvel mystery oil is becoming more plausible...... Haha

Guess I'll have to see if it gets worse and go from there. Not looking forward to having to do a split!!

Thank you all for your suggestions and input!!!