MX 5800 trailering short distance with Tundra

Cathy Liebchen

Equipment
KUBOTA L3901, MX5800, MULE PRO FX, MULE PRO FXT
We have been trailering our L3901 from Georgia to Alabama and back regularly. We are looking at buying a second farm that is a 7 mile distance from the Alabama one and would like to buy an MX 5800 (loader, loaded tires and a heavy duty Woods brush hog) to dedicate to the Alabama properties, which will have a combined acreage of 88 acres with 22 in fields.

We have a Tundra 5.7L, tow package with 10,000# towing capacity and a 2 x 5,000 # axles tandem trailer (weighs 2500#) that we have been using to move the L 3901 back and forth. Saw some posts that said the MX is too heavy to tow with the Tundra- is that the case to take it 7 miles back and forth over rural roads? It looks to be about 1,000 heavier than the L3901- maybe 5,500 lbs total

My other option is to drive the MX between farms on the road- it is legal here and we are out in the country

KennysNewFarm

Equipment
MX5800
Dec 28, 2017
Missouri
My MX5800 without loaded tires, FEL, and 6 foot Heavy Brush Hog weighs in roughly at 7,000 lbs. It is heavier than you think. Load the tires and maybe have another 500 lbs. You would probably be at max with your trailer. I use a 3/4 ton truck to trailer mine around, not sure I want to risk an accident using anything else. Went over the scale at 16,900 lbs just because I was curious. Does your truck/trailer have trailer brakes and brake controller?

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
Road it. 7 miles isn't much. I used to run 3588s 120. I was only making 5 an hour so I guess it penciled out. For 7 miles it's probably quicker

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yea too heavy for both the truck and trailer you currently have for the L3901. ;)

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
I run our MX5800 between properties all the time it is real slow compared to our other tractors but it will get you there. Make sure you keep it in 2WD while traveling on the road. ;)

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
I don't think it would take you an hour but I bet it would take a good 40~45 minutes.

Max speed is 16mph but you're not going to be traveling wide open all the way and if you have any inclines it will slow the machine way down.

what kind of speed would I get? Would it take an hour to go 7 miles?

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Cathy, I think you could get away with moving an MX5800 with the setup you have. It isn't ideal, but do-able.

I have an MX4800 which is the same tractor as an MX5800 minus a turbocharger on the engine. Curb weight is basically the same.

So, base weight is 3800lbs. That means no loader or implements, and no loaded tires. Loading the rear tires adds a minimum of 500lbs per tire; R4 tires can hold even more ballast. The LA1065 loader that comes on any MX weighs about 1500lbs without a bucket. There are a few bucket variations, but figure on about 250-300lbs. SO:

3800lbs base weight
1000lbs tire ballast
1800lbs loader
700lbs bush hog

You are at 7300lbs. If you have a trailer with a 10k GVWR, minus it's 2500lbs of base weight...you can put 7500lbs of weight on it...which you are just under. And you have a pickup rated to tow 10,000lbs.

I think you will be fine. I tow my tractors very frequently. Also keep in mind if you decided to buy a different tractor than an L4701 is quite different than an L3901...completely different platform.

The MX is a great tractor, in my opinion.

Mister

Jul 13, 2018
Northwest
I have an MX5800 and a Tundra with a 5.7 V8, and nice big off-road tires and fancy wheels, and there's no way I'd tow an MX with it. I have AG tires, FEL, ballast, and the backhoe, which adds some serious weight, but even without all that and just having the weight of your MX, I wouldn't do it. Keep in mind... It's not that you wouldn't have enough power to tow it with the Tundra. You'd have more than enough. The problem is that the Tundra is kind of stuck between being a half ton and a 3/4 ton truck. It doesn't have quite enough weight or mass to do it safely.

I use the hell out of my Tundra. I use it as a truck, and at the same time take care of it. There is no other truck I would rather have, until you get to these super heavy loads... And then I'd want a 3/4 or 1 ton Cummins

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
I have an MX5800 and a Tundra with a 5.7 V8, and nice big off-road tires and fancy wheels, and there's no way I'd tow an MX with it. I have AG tires, FEL, ballast, and the backhoe, which adds some serious weight, but even without all that and just having the weight of your MX, I wouldn't do it. Keep in mind... It's not that you wouldn't have enough power to tow it with the Tundra. You'd have more than enough. The problem is that the Tundra is kind of stuck between being a half ton and a 3/4 ton truck. It doesn't have quite enough weight or mass to do it safely.

I use the hell out of my Tundra. I use it as a truck, and at the same time take care of it. There is no other truck I would rather have, until you get to these super heavy loads... And then I'd want a 3/4 or 1 ton Cummins

Backhoe adds a lot more weight, and she'd be over the limit. The Tundra is a fine truck but it isn't "stuck between a half ton and 3/4 ton." It is a half ton, plain and simple, with less overall capability in terms of payload and towing than certain Ford, GM, and RAM trucks...which are also only half tons. Many people don't have a lot of towing experience, or if they do, they have only towed light weight trailers. The feel of towing 10k is very, very different than towing snowmobiles, a boat, some 4-wheelers or a side by side, or even a small travel trailer. You need to use extra caution...more distance between you and the next vehicle, more time to accelerate, slow down, and take turns more slowly.

Here's how I tow my MX and L2501 together:

Cathy Liebchen

Equipment
KUBOTA L3901, MX5800, MULE PRO FX, MULE PRO FXT
Cathy, I think you could get away with moving an MX5800 with the setup you have. It isn't ideal, but do-able.

I have an MX4800 which is the same tractor as an MX5800 minus a turbocharger on the engine. Curb weight is basically the same.

So, base weight is 3800lbs. That means no loader or implements, and no loaded tires. Loading the rear tires adds a minimum of 500lbs per tire; R4 tires can hold even more ballast. The LA1065 loader that comes on any MX weighs about 1500lbs without a bucket. There are a few bucket variations, but figure on about 250-300lbs. SO:

3800lbs base weight
1000lbs tire ballast
1800lbs loader
700lbs bush hog

You are at 7300lbs. If you have a trailer with a 10k GVWR, minus it's 2500lbs of base weight...you can put 7500lbs of weight on it...which you are just under. And you have a pickup rated to tow 10,000lbs.

I think you will be fine. I tow my tractors very frequently. Also keep in mind if you decided to buy a different tractor than an L4701 is quite different than an L3901...completely different platform.

The MX is a great tractor, in my opinion.
We are leaning towards doing it. The road between the properties is not heavily used and 40 mph speed limit, so going really slow is no problem. And neighbor suggested take the tractor and the attachments in 2 trips-

Right now we are on hold until we get a survey of the new property, a slow process- it has some survey and encroachment issues that really need a land swap agreement with the neighbor. No wonder the price per acre was so good. It has no public road frontage, so many buyers automatically said no. The access easement connects to the property at a very awkward spot way past the house and the gate to the main acreage (of course for decades people have just been driving in and out wherever); a half acre of the neighbor's field in on the property, and the front part of the house and front yard are on the neighbor's property (about 1/3 acre). Hard to tell what people will do, but his initial reaction was not no. I would do it since he is ending up with slightly more land than he gives up, and what he gives up is a good bit away from what he actually uses and on the edge of his 150 acre property.

If he wants money, then the highly motivated seller may do something, or as any real estate deal it is just "the amount of the broker's commission apart from happening"

Nothing is easy

Mister

Jul 13, 2018
Northwest
Backhoe adds a lot more weight, and she'd be over the limit. The Tundra is a fine truck but it isn't "stuck between a half ton and 3/4 ton." It is a half ton, plain and simple, with less overall capability in terms of payload and towing than certain Ford, GM, and RAM trucks...which are also only half tons. Many people don't have a lot of towing experience, or if they do, they have only towed light weight trailers. The feel of towing 10k is very, very different than towing snowmobiles, a boat, some 4-wheelers or a side by side, or even a small travel trailer. You need to use extra caution...more distance between you and the next vehicle, more time to accelerate, slow down, and take turns more slowly.

Here's how I tow my MX and L2501 together:

Oh, I see. You want to head down the "domestic vs foreign" road, even though you might not realize it. I already said I wouldn't tow the load in question with the truck in question. I even said I would prefer a Cummins for said load. As for arguing with my point that the Tundra is in between a half and 3/4, all I'll say is remember that some truck companies stats on paper might be misleading. Think John Deer vs Kubota...

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Foreign v domestic? Huh? I'm just going by published stats. Let's just say when the 2nd-gen Tundra came out in 2007, it was class leading in basically all metrics. But 12 years later, it's still the same truck with a couple of minor refreshes. The 5.7L engine still makes the same output, chassis hasn't changed, etc. Still a fine truck, as I said. But other trucks have moved ahead in power, torque, chassis and suspension capability...that's all.

Anyway, if I was in Cathy's situation, I would opt to tow the load with her Tundra and trailer. But if she or you isn't comfortable, than by all means pass. It is a heavy load for a half ton.

Mister

Jul 13, 2018
Northwest
Foreign v domestic? Huh? I'm just going by published stats. Let's just say when the 2nd-gen Tundra came out in 2007, it was class leading in basically all metrics. But 12 years later, it's still the same truck with a couple of minor refreshes. The 5.7L engine still makes the same output, chassis hasn't changed, etc. Still a fine truck, as I said. But other trucks have moved ahead in power, torque, chassis and suspension capability...that's all.

Anyway, if I was in Cathy's situation, I would opt to tow the load with her Tundra and trailer. But if she or you isn't comfortable, than by all means pass. It is a heavy load for a half ton.
Your argument is irrelevant. Whatever the truck could handle in 2007, it can handle today just as capably. Besides, newer isn't always better. I have towed bigger and heavier loads than this guy I snapped a picture of, and I definitely wasn't sagging like that

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Your argument is irrelevant. Whatever the truck could handle in 2007, it can handle today just as capably. Besides, newer isn't always better. I have towed bigger and heavier loads than this guy I snapped a picture of, and I definitely wasn't sagging like that

What does this picture have to do with the OP’s question? Nothing

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I'd road it myself. I road both my tractors all the time but them my M's will do 22 mph. Not fast but fast enough to spy on everyone's place you pass by....lol

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
I'll refrain from getting further than I already have into the Tundra debate...PM me for further discussion if desired...but either way looks possible. Good luck to the OP.

FarmFreshKS

Equipment
MX5800, ZD221
Aug 13, 2019
Kansas City
This is an older thread, but I have opinions, so I'll keep it going.

1) I would feel comfortable towing this behind a tundra for 7 miles at 40 miles per hour no problem. Just be smart with loading and driving.
2) I probably wouldn't do it. By time you hitch up the trailer, load up the tractor, tie it down, drive there, untie it, unload it, and unhitch the trailer... I think it would just be faster/easier to road it. That is of course, unless you need a vehicle at farm #2 when you get there.

I have driven many vehicles rated past their GCVWR and Trailer GVWR for further distances than referenced here without issues. Yes, I made sure to have proper tongue weight, yes, I went slower and left more following distance, and yes I had trailer brakes (most of the time). As long as the roads/traffic conditions are favorable, it isn't the end of the world to push it a bit past the engineering specifications.

And since we're talking about Tundras. I love those trucks (never had one but always liked them) but they do seem like a clear 1/2 ton pickup to me. I have a Ridgeline and an F350 DWR... I'm not a house divided, I'm an individual divided :)